Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ash vs. Evil Dead

Started by Head Gardener, January 08, 2015, 08:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

with Bruce Campbell on board and Sam Raimi producing this looks promising : more info

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I know this is a sacrilege to a certain degree, but the more I look back on Evil Dead the more I think it was directed by a blindingly indiscriminate bad decision maker, while Bruce Campbell and the art direction saved it.

That poster is dreadfully pedestrian wank.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The first one is pretty naff. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn is the true masterpiece.

phantom_power

Evil Dead is fun but amateurish. Evil Dead 2 is amazing. Evil Dead 3 is fun but overly sanitised. Crimewave, Darkman and The Quick and the Dead are also ace. Raimi is clearly a natural film-maker and has had great success with genre TV and films so this has a good chance of being decent.

Ignatius_S

There was a brief discussion about the series, last year - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=43422.0. Just linking that for previous discussion, rather than saying such an older thread should have been bumped!

Anyway, for better or worse, I'm looking forward to it.

madhair60

Mister Six

If Raimi's not directing every episode, I don't really get the point.

What's with the production blurb at the bottom of that poster? Is it just a fan design or something?

Head Gardener

Quote from: Mister Six on January 09, 2015, 03:17:21 AM
If Raimi's not directing every episode, I don't really get the point.

What's with the production blurb at the bottom of that poster? Is it just a fan design or something?

yes, but it's the first image to come out relating to the show

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 08, 2015, 08:53:17 PM
The first one is pretty naff. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn is the true masterpiece.

Quite the reverse for me. I love Evil Dead and its unrefined, messy, lo-fi qurkiness, but I could never get into Evil Dead 2. That's probably heresy, but every single time I've sat down to watch it, it's left me cold. I'm not sure what it is - the elements are all there, but ultimately I find it slightly...irritating, I think (and, strangely for a movie which is both 84 minutes in length and action packed, a bit overlong and dull). Maybe it's the emphasis on slapstick.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Mister Six on January 09, 2015, 03:17:21 AM

It's also got nowt to do with the show - it's clearly advertising a historical prequel, where the show is timeline-wise very much a sequel AND is going to only loosely reference the continuity.  Presumably done a while ago.

I'm not really a fan of any of the Evil Deads, yet I'm oddly looking forward to this.

Black_Bart

I am a fan of the ED3 and a fan of Raimi in general. I don't have high hopes, but then if you set your sights low... But anything that gives employment to Bruce Campbell is welcome. (If you haven't read his autobiog If Chins Could Kill, stop what you are doing and go buy it, of course via the amazon button!).

ED 1: Is good in a lo-fi guerilla film making way.
ED 2: ED1 for people who didn't see ED1, but with a couple of plot changes (tho' the vagueness of the timeline, to me, is a lovely reference to the films of Lucio Fulci.
ED3: The film Raimi made for nutter ED2 fans and to show he could make Hollywood films (ED3 is in part homage to the Knights n Damsels film of the 30s.) And my favourite, as it's the funniest.

NoSleep

Quote from: phantom_power on January 08, 2015, 10:13:09 PM
Evil Dead is fun but amateurish.

The first film, and second, I suppose (albeit with more money), are the cinema equivalent of punk rock. The DVD commentaries are useful in pointing out the decisions that had to be made, sometimes connecting scenes that were filmed with months between them and in different locations. The continuity errors all assist in making the whole a more jarring experience (in the best possible way). Sam Raimi is definitely a director who prefers raw emotional energy over accuracy; the bloopers persist through his later work.

VegaLA

I for one am looking forwards to this.

I'm old enough to remember the fuss that was made over the release of the first film on video, which over time has made the original seem overhyped, but sitting there watching it for that first time it's reputation was definitely earned!

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: NoSleep on January 09, 2015, 01:51:08 PM
The first film, and second, I suppose (albeit with more money), are the cinema equivalent of punk rock. The DVD commentaries are useful in pointing out the decisions that had to be made, sometimes connecting scenes that were filmed with months between them and in different locations. The continuity errors all assist in making the whole a more jarring experience (in the best possible way). Sam Raimi is definitely a director who prefers raw emotional energy over accuracy; the bloopers persist through his later work.

This is true, but unfortunately there's been a lot of tinkering - reframing shots, digitally removing stuff from within the frame, removing frames altogether - with the first film over the course of the various DVD releases in order to mask those continuity errors, SFX hiccups, so on and so forth. The more recent releases - the ones with re-recorded commentaries - are especially bad, by all accounts.

NoSleep

The re-recorded commentaries (first I've heard of this) would be the first indication that something had been tinkered with, as the original commentaries (the only ones I've heard) often focus on the bloopers, which is part of what makes them such a fun addition to the viewing experience. I've not upgraded my DVDs since they first appeared in the format and I'm rather glad I haven't. Likewise my pre-"director's cut", comic strip-less DVD of The Warriors.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: NoSleep on January 19, 2015, 08:32:06 AM
I've not upgraded my DVDs since they first appeared in the format and I'm rather glad I haven't. Likewise my pre-"director's cut", comic strip-less DVD of The Warriors.

Same here, barring the Book of the Dead edition of the original. I've never actually watched the film off that disc, though, so I dunno if it was tampered with or not.

NoSleep

Just reading around about changes that have been made, there isn't much detail about the reframing you mention on IMDB, only about the digital removal of visible wires from shots, etc. Are there any good sites where this stuff is written up in detail?
Also, I notice a very bad write up for my Anchor Bay version of Evil Dead on Amazon, suggesting the Elite Entertainment version is a much better transfer (and mentions a region 0 release which I couldn't find).

DukeDeMondo

Well here's a fairly comprehensive timecoded list of the alterations made prior to the 2010 Anchor Bay Blu-Ray release, for example, courtesy of bookofthedead.ws.

Quote from: bookofthedead.ws

00:03:05:10 to 00:03:08:18 - Rob Tapert standing in the background has been digitally painted out
00:05:49:19 to 00:06:07:19 - Exterior darker evening light adjusted to sunny dusk
00:06:07:20 to 00:06:25:12 - Exterior darker evening light adjusted to sunny dusk (Same shot as below)
00:06:07:20 to 00:06:25:12 - Cameraman's reflection in window has been digitally painted out (Same shot as above)
00:06:30:19 to 00:07:24:10 - Exterior darker evening light adjusted to sunny dusk
00:16:19:04 to 00:16:21:08 - Cabin/moon matte shot tweaked; blending, levels, and movement steadied
00:19:21:00 to 00:19:26:00 - Cabin/moon matte shot tweaked; blending, levels, and movement steadied
00:23:38:00 to 00:24:00:11 - Shelly/moon matte shot tweaked; blending, levels, and movement steadied
00:34:13:11 to 00:34:25.17 - Background lights have been digitally painted out
00:36:47:10 to 00:36:49:09 - Linda screaming has been horizontally flipped to correct screen direction
00:36:51:22 to 00:36:54:02 - Linda screaming has been horizontally flipped to correct screen direction
00:38:21:14 to 00:38:25:21 - Cabin/moon matte shot tweaked; blending, levels, and movement steadied
00:52:19:09 to 00:52:24:22 - Hair in camera gate painted out
01:05:05:09 to 01:05:06:18 - Two lens flares painted out
01:05:09:22 to 01:05:10:14 - Two lens flares painted out
01:05:15:07 to 01:05:16:07 - Two lens flares painted out
01:05:18:04 to 01:05:19:06 - Two lens flares & dirt painted out
01:16:12:09 to 01:16:21:15 - Jump cut while Ash is moving the dresser has been smoothed with a fade
01:21:16:17 to 01:21:26:06 - Camera movement during animation digitally steadied
01:22:47:22 to 01:22:51:02 - Hand-held shot digitally steadied

EDIT: Meant to include the link. http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/the_evil_dead_dvd.html

Mister Six

None of that sounds like a bad idea, TBH.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Mister Six on January 20, 2015, 12:30:18 AM
None of that sounds like a bad idea, TBH.

Well for me it takes away a fair bit of what made Evil Dead wonderful. I think the first film is far more impressive than the second, and a lot of what makes it so is that those kinds of daft "errors" are right next to - and sometimes in the same frame as - some of the most astonishing cinematography and most baffling camera gymnastics that I've ever seen, and all the more so given that they made it for the price of an old boot. So I think it is a bad idea. A horrible idea, even. 

Head Gardener

I have a lovely latex rubber Book Of The Dead edition of ED1

NoSleep

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on January 19, 2015, 11:54:04 PM
Well here's a fairly comprehensive timecoded list of the alterations made prior to the 2010 Anchor Bay Blu-Ray release, for example, courtesy of bookofthedead.ws.

EDIT: Meant to include the link. http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/the_evil_dead_dvd.html

Interesting stuff about about the fan edit; to restore the film as much as possible to its original release form. I'll have to find that from somewhere. I came across a fan edit forum a few years back, I wonder if it's still there?

Mister Six

Looks like a lot of fun - I just hope that it attempts the same level of visual invention that the ED movies excelled at.

Rev

The trailer is clunky and cheesy, and pretty much exactly what I'd hoped it'd be.  This really does look like the big load of daft bollocks that it needs to be, and it'll be refreshing in our current TV landscape to see something that serves up splattery horror business without feeling the need to be interminably tedious[nb]Not naming any names[nb]But it's the Walking Dead isn't it?[nb]I mean, what a pile of dour shit[/nb][/nb][/nb].

phantom_power

It looks like a good midpoint between the second and third films, tone-wise, which should make for a fun series