Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:45:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ash vs. Evil Dead

Started by Head Gardener, January 08, 2015, 08:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

Slightly off topic but I picked up the little known 1972 Italian/Spanish horror 'The Night Of The Devils' on blu ray the other day. Almost certain Raimi must have seen this film and was influenced by it:

http://youtu.be/puJcYq3I5L0

Well worth watching if you get the opportunity. Excellent soundtrack by Giorgio Gaslini as well.

Alberon

This starts on Saturday and the first few minutes are here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOQa0btC_Do

There's no UK broadcaster as yet, but the series has been renewed for a second run already.

Quote"One season isn't enough to satisfy the fans' two decade-long appetite for more Ash," said Starz big cheese Carmi Zlotnik. "The early fan and press support, along with the international broadcaster demand for more story have made it clear that the adventures of Ash Williams can't end with season one."

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/ash-vs-evil-dead/37544/ash-vs-evil-dead-renewed-for-second-season

great_badir

Is that the same trailer[NB]caravan/motor home[/NB] he's living in in My Name Is Bruce?

I watched the first episode of this just now because it popped up on Stan, Australian streaming service.

Really enjoyed it. Enjoyed the old school silliness of it. Really dug the humour. Not as into the violence and there's a whole B Plot that might run through the entire series focusing on a detective which wasn't really doing anything for me.

I think I'm just unphased and uninterested in gore but the heart of this will probably keep me coming back.

Silly and fun.

Steven

I get the whole Bruce Campbell is cool thing, but what is it? Is it that he had proper Matinee Idol looks but chose to do schlocky low-budget crap, and is sort of self-ironic with it all? I wonder if he actually got offered any big Hollywood deals, because for that money I'd imagine he'd have taken them. I mean there's that fucking awful soap opera he was in featured in Fargo etc?

Garam

I think it's cause he was in Evil Dead, and Evil Dead is liked...

zomgmouse

Started off kinda shaky but got better and better as the episode went along, ending up really good. I especially liked
Spoiler alert
the lightbulb bit and "didn't your mother teach you to knock" and really the whole final fight - the little doll was cool too
[close]
. The B-plot didn't grip me either but I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

NoSleep

I was thinking the script needed tightening up a bit (and some of the acting) but I suppose it's all part of its faux low-budget appeal. I liked the b-plot for contrasting against this and providing some actual scares and drama (more Drag Me To Hell than Evil Dead in feel).

Steven

This is going to go one of two ways, either it will just reiterate the same old wacky shit every episode and ultimately become incredibly tedious, or they just go all out balls-to-wall stupid, so stupid in a Naked Gun horror sense that promotes people talking about how incredulous it all is each episode. Kinda the same thing to be honest, but it's all about context.

NoSleep

With only 10 episodes and, I thought, being a one-off, I'd guess they're going to take it somewhere. But now I see there's going to be a 2nd season (which wasn't announced until three days before the premiere).

Small Man Big Horse

I enjoyed this a lot, thought it was a whole load of silly fun, and quite enjoyed the b-plot due to the creepy haunted house shoot-out, though hopefully they'll bring all the characters together soon. Don't think I needed to see that sex scene, but it's a minor complaint, and otherwise it kept me entertained throughout. And I thought Campbell's pre-titles "Fuuuuuuuuck" was one of the best in tv history, and I don't say that lightly.  I liked the way they inserted old Evil Dead 2 footage as well, but noticed the absence of any mention of the events of Army of Darkness, it'll be interesting to see if they ever do reference it.

Edit: According to the AV Club:

QuoteUnfortunately, Raimi doesn't have the rights to use Army Of Darkness for this new series which explains why S-Mart has been changed to Value Stop. Or why Ash's steel glove is missing. Or why Pablo didn't hear about that time his co-worker fought against his evil doppelgänger alongside Lord Arthur. This doesn't appear to be a problem whatsoever.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/hail-king-ash-vs-evil-dead-roars-groovy-start-227498

Which is a bit of a shame. I get why they can't use specific imagery, but you think they'd be able to reference it if they wanted to.

Ah OK. I was wondering about the S-Mart thing.

phantom_power

The film series has always been a bit loose with the continuity anyway so it is in keeping that it does the same here. I see that the events of the first film are part of the lore of this series, as well as the second, which is even more continuity fucking as Evil Dead 2 doesn't even do that

NoSleep

Surely they can reference Ash being hurled back in time, on account of the final scene in Evil Dead II?

phantom_power

They can but that just complicates things and they have always picked and chosen the continuity that suited them. The third film has three different endings as well, to complicate matters. It is much cleaner to just ignore the time travel stuff

Hollow

Wow....that was excellent.

Is it on now every week or was that just one of those 'it's coming soon' things?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Yep, that was tremendous fun.

Some particularly dodgy CGI was the only bum note for me. Normally that sort of thing wouldn't bother me, but this of all series should really go for 100% practical effects.

Hollow

I was wondering all the way through it how they'd managed to nail Raimi's style...is he directing the lot?

NoSleep

Just that first one. And there's another next week (and 8 more after that).

Hollow

That's a real shame, hope it doesn't suffer for it.

NoSleep

I'm sure Bruce Campbell will (at least) co-direct every scene that he's in.

Hollow

Raimi is an outstanding director of horror, it's his twitchy camera work that I love, I just hope it doesn't turn out like a bad impression.

Yep it got pretty good once it got going, although I was feeling like his name was Munson
and not Ash in the first fifteen mins or so. Kept the Raimi ED trademark shots in there too, which was nice!
Spoiler alert
that must have been some pretty shit hot weed though to make Ash fuck up like that though.
[close]

Hollow

Yeah that was beyond contrived....
Spoiler alert
worth it for the realisation 'fuck'! from Campbell though.
[close]

NoSleep

Probably weed on top of booze.

Garam

This was a lot of fun, and was just the right mix of comedy and horror. I mean Army of Darkness is alright, but far too slapsticky for me.

I think Raimi should direct at least 2 or 3 episodes a season though.

While i'm here, is the Evil Dead remake worth checking out?

Noodle Lizard

cool that he was banging the chicks

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 03, 2015, 05:33:01 PM
cool that he was banging the chicks

To be fair, Bruce Campbell undercut that scene by playing it in a very silly way. It wasn't "Wahey lads, Ash is such a stud!"

Garam

It fits Ash's arc that he thinks himself a bit of a ladies man too, since he was such a cocky shit by the end of Army of Darkness. The arc of the Evil Dead series is;

meek ---> cocky as fuck
horror ---> comedy
tension ---> all-out full-on unsubtle attack on the senses