Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:19:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ash vs. Evil Dead

Started by Head Gardener, January 08, 2015, 08:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

I don't know exactly how copyright laws work, when it comes to fictional characters. But the Ash of this show is clearly the Army Of Darkness version of Ash. Also, they've been allowed to keep "boomstick". He says it in the trailer.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I presume it means they can't refer to the events of the plot or any characters introduced in it, which prompts the question; if Army of Darkness is non canonical now, but Evil Dead 2 is, how do they explain Ash's return from the middle ages? Does it matter? Probably not.

Mister Six

What were the three possible endings of Army of Darkness?

* Ash wakes up in a post-apocalyptic London.
* Ash goes back to S-Mart and fights deadites in the modern day ("Hail to the king, baby!")
* ???

NoSleep

Yeah, there were only two that I know of. They're both on the DVD I have, also.

Hollow

Yep, another pointless confirmation of the two endings to AoD.

They should've stuck with the original ending (apocalyptic) the other one made no sense and relied on 'magic' a lot more. (not that the entire film wasn't totally out there)

madhair60

Quote from: Garam on November 03, 2015, 07:57:02 AM
While i'm here, is the Evil Dead remake worth checking out?

Yeah, imo, but it's much more of a straight horror.

Also, this may no longer be true, but the DVD is missing footage which was inexplicably seen for the first time in Channel 4's airing of it.  Yes, the most extreme version of the film was the TV airing.  It's on Myspleen.

Hollow

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2015, 11:00:08 AM
Yeah, imo, but it's much more of a straight horror.

Also, this may no longer be true, but the DVD is missing footage which was inexplicably seen for the first time in Channel 4's airing of it.  Yes, the most extreme version of the film was the TV airing.  It's on Myspleen.

It's shiiiiiiiiite.

I mean watch it by all means, but it's jump scare nonsense, everything that's bad about modern horror.

And I'm sorry madhair but The Evil Dead is about as straight horror as it gets, you shouldn't confuse one and two, two is infused with comedy, the original is stark shit.

madhair60

Evil Dead 1 is batshit and hilarious.

Noodle Lizard

the bruce cambell. he is banging the chicks and the chainsaw on his hand in slomo... epic. im gonna watch next week.

Hollow

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2015, 01:28:46 PM
Evil Dead 1 is batshit and hilarious.

Hmmm...not saying you're wrong because I saw elements of dark humour in The Evil Dead (no 1, don't do that.) but hilarity?

What particular scenes did you find that level of humour in?

Maybe you have a really twisted sense of humour.

Evil Dead 2 is funny as fuck as is AoD, but the original in my opinion wasn't meant to be funny.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Hollow on November 04, 2015, 11:02:30 AM
It's shiiiiiiiiite.

I mean watch it by all means, but it's jump scare nonsense
I watched it a few months ago and don't remember it being overly jumpscary. It's more of a graphically gruesome gorefest, isn't it?

Hollow

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 04, 2015, 02:11:05 PM
I watched it a few months ago and don't remember it being overly jumpscary. It's more of a graphically gruesome gorefest, isn't it?

There's a couple, too many, the ineffective computer game graphics are a worse crime,

It's just a far inferior remake of a perfect film...just like most other modern pointless remakes, Robocop, Total Recall...and on and on.

madhair60

Quote from: Hollow on November 04, 2015, 02:03:43 PM
Hmmm...not saying you're wrong because I saw elements of dark humour in The Evil Dead (no 1, don't do that.) but hilarity?

What particular scenes did you find that level of humour in?

Maybe you have a really twisted sense of humour.

Evil Dead 2 is funny as fuck as is AoD, but the original in my opinion wasn't meant to be funny.

I find it a lot funnier than 2 and AoD (and I do find those funny!).  My favourite part of any of the films is Ash getting stuck under the flimsy bookcase that falls on him.

madhair60

There are jump scares in Evil Dead 1 and 2 also

Hollow

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2015, 02:13:41 PM
There are jump scares in Evil Dead 1 and 2 also

I don't really like 2 either, I think THAT'S a pointless remake.

I only like AoD cause it's practically impossible to not like something so crazy.

And those jump scares were not the meat and potatoes of what made The Evil Dead good, atmosphere is all, and the remake lacks it.

It lacks Raimi basically.

Hollow

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2015, 02:13:06 PM
I find it a lot funnier than 2 and AoD (and I do find those funny!).  My favourite part of any of the films is Ash getting stuck under the flimsy bookcase that falls on him.

I quite like the cheek of 'A Farewell to Arms' even though he still has both his.

Ignatius_S

Raimi famously compared to the first film to the Three Stooges and I think it's quite clear that there was comedy to it. FWIW, very early on, quite a few reviewers did comment (positively) about the humour – but it's a matter of opinion and not everyone would have the same view (as this discussion says!)

I was reading an article recently and the producer commented, which I think is relevant:

QuoteThe first movie sells more DVDs (and Blu-rays) on a year-in, year-out basis than Evil Dead II. I think the people who like horror really like horror, and they found the second Evil Dead too tonally challenging because it had too much humor.
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/sam-raimis-the-evil-dead-remains-a-masterpiece-in-crudity/

With the remake, FWIW, I (and couple of friends that I watched it with) thought it was pretty entertaining film that worked fine in its own right. Prior to watching it, I didn't have any really strong feelings about a remake – and afterwards, thought it was a better use of time and energy than just about other recent horror remakes.

Hollow

I take a lot of geek comfort from your quote iggy. :)

I was geared up to hate it, and I didn't hate it...I just thought it was mediocre, which is maybe worse.

NoSleep

Quote from: Hollow on November 04, 2015, 02:20:49 PM
I quite like the cheek of 'A Farewell to Arms' even though he still has both his.

The hand (trapped in the bucket and weighed down by the books) has had to say farewell to its arm.

NoSleep

If it hadn't been for Evil Dead II (my favourite of the first two) I don't suppose we would have Re-Animator (another firm favourite).

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: NoSleep on November 04, 2015, 03:46:00 PM
If it hadn't been for Evil Dead II (my favourite of the first two) I don't suppose we would have Re-Animator (another firm favourite).

Re-Animator came out a couple of years earlier, though.

NoSleep

So it was. So the makers of Re-Animator were inspired to make their comedy horror after watching Evil Dead I[nb]I had remembered correctly that they had wanted to make a film with the sensibilities of one of the Evil Dead series[/nb]! Perhaps that inspired Raimi to up the comedy in II, then?

Steven

Quote from: NoSleep on November 04, 2015, 03:50:44 PM
So it was. So the makers of Re-Animator were inspired to make their comedy horror after watching Evil Dead I[nb]I had remembered correctly that they had wanted to make a film with the sensibilities of one of the Evil Dead series[/nb]! Perhaps that inspired Raimi to up the comedy in II, then?

That makes sense, only saw Re-Animator for the first time last week and it does get so gross it's still shocking, even now 30 years later I was aghast at some parts, which brings into sharp relief how comically offensive it must have been at the time.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: NoSleep on November 04, 2015, 03:50:44 PM

The main reason was financial – Stuart Gordon wanted to make a film and had been advised that you're more likely to make money (or at least, not make a loss) if you make a horror film than other type and it was with that intention that he came across the Lovecraft story.

Prior to the film, Gordon had been involved in radical theatre and I think, from what I've learned about them, that an over-the-top, mischievous (with not a little humour) sensibility was carried over into the film. The inclusion of comedic elements into horror films was a well-established practice and although Gordon may have looked elsewhere for inspiration, my gut feeling is that he was well at home with that kind of humour and OOT visuals.

Part of the Re-animator film is about the politics – and rather out-of-date morality – in universities and I think that's a nod to Gordon's early experiences in theatre whilst a student. That's just my opinion (I don't think he's commented about this, but could be wrong) but feel his previous creative work very much shaped his film.

madhair60

Never seen Re-Animator.  Reckon I'm gonna, now.

NoSleep

I was going by a quote from Brian Yuzna, the producer:

QuoteYuzna described the film as having the "sort of shock sensibility of an Evil Dead with the production values of, hopefully, The Howling."

Ah, actually the wiki has this to say about how the film came about:

QuoteOriginally, Gordon was going to adapt Lovecraft's story for the stage, but eventually decided along with writers Dennis Paoli and William Norris to do it as a half-hour television pilot. The story was set around the turn of the century, and they soon realized that it would be too expensive to recreate. They updated it to the present day in Chicago with the intention of using actors from the Organic Theater company. They were told that the half hour format was not salable and so they made it an hour, writing 13 episodes. Special effects technician Bob Greenberg, who had worked on John Carpenter's Dark Star, repeatedly told Gordon that the only market for horror was in feature films, and introduced him to producer Brian Yuzna. Gordon showed Yuzna the script for the pilot and the 12 additional episodes. The producer liked what he read and convinced Gordon to shoot the film in Hollywood because of all the special effects involved. Yuzna made a distribution deal with Charles Band's Empire Pictures in return for post-production services.

Garam

I only saw Re-Animator for the first time last month and I don't get it. It wasn't bad or anything, but I didn't think it had anywhere near the creativity or originality of the Evil Deads. I didn't find it remotely shocking either.

27 years old I was! Maybe it's just one of those things, like when people watch Holy Grail for the first time in their 30s and don't see the fuss either.

Cool glowing liquid though.

Steven

Quote from: Garam on November 04, 2015, 04:45:51 PM
I only saw Re-Animator for the first time last month and I don't get it. It wasn't bad or anything, but I didn't think it had anywhere near the creativity or originality of the Evil Deads. I didn't find it remotely shocking either.

Dude, I've seen some shit on Liveleak.com, but still -
Spoiler alert
Dr Hill's decapitated body holding his disembodied head over a barely conscious girl so he can suck on her tits?
[close]
C'mon.

Garam

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I find the Cartman speech at the end of 'Scott Tenorman Must Die' more shocking than that honestly. I guess I don't find it shocking because it's impossible to actually happen.