Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:38:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inessential shit from the backwaters of years old TV that you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, January 12, 2015, 01:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

A followup to the 'Just one Cornetto' ad campaign where the flavours were expanded and the song concluded "I know now whaaaaaaat/Which ooooooone she piiiiiiicks/I take-a no chances/I briiiiiing her six!" and then a chorus of disbelieving voices go "SIX?!!!"

An episode of Grange Hill where they set up a school radio station with a horoscope column and two of the lass characters sang the star signs. "Sagi-tarri-usssss!"

An advert for some crisps that went "HA! HAAAA! HAAAA! CHINESE SPARE RIBS!"

It's late and I'm mildly drunk but I think this thread has legs.

Mister Six

An episode in which an attempt to woo girls causes Only Fools and Horses's Del Boy to fall through a bar.

Mister Six

DeadBishop

I'm red I'm red
I'm Tizer Head[nb]Ed?[/nb]
I'm fizzy fizzy fizzy
Refresh your head.

non capisco

Quote from: Mister Six on January 12, 2015, 01:10:22 AM
An episode in which an attempt to woo girls causes Only Fools and Horses's Del Boy to fall through a bar.

I suspected this was a mistake. In 2004 this would have been eight pages long by now full of people talking about the chimney sweep from 'Moondial' who looked like Iain Lee.

Mr Banlon

"Don't know...it's all covered in mud." From some crisp advert with monks in it.
Some Greek kid in Grange Hill with frizzy hair falling to his death after being dared to walk on a high ledge.

fit bird

I have a really strong memory of Gary Numan expressing his disgust at an interviewer farting mid question on some awful tv show, this was just after the Exile album came out, as far as I can tell the Numan fansites have all conspired to cover this up, I've been banned from 2 of them just for trying to find the footage.

non capisco

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 12, 2015, 01:18:05 AM
"Don't know...it's all covered in mud." From some crisp advert with monks in it.

KP Crisps. Running at the same time as the in retrospect shrill and annoying campaign for Smiths Crisps featuring some potatoes singing "We wanna be....Smith's Crisps!" to the tune of "Bobby's Girl". There were partisan fights in the playground in 1986 and I now feel I was on the wrong side.

Mr Banlon

Fucking hell, sounded like they were singing 'Sir-miths Kerr-isps'. God that was shit.

purlieu

Dad: Morning!
Dad sits on squeaky toy boat
Baby: *laughter*
Dad: Ooh yeah, I must sort out that loan... but I can't get to the bank!
Tedious cartoon telephone: Hello!
Dad does ridiculous blinking double take

Mr Banlon

non capisco

A dubbed European children's TV programme called 'Silas' about a kid who runs away from a circus because he doesn't want to be forced to become a sword swallower. He had a point. Who'd want to suffer the risky training stages?

imitationleather

In the '90s I remember companies would pay for the entire ad break during Coronatian Street and do a long 3 minute ad and put ads for the ad in The Sun and stuff. That doesn't really happen any more, does it? Or maybe it does and I don't watch TV or read The Sun.

purlieu

Weird cartoon that was on a Saturday morning, might have been Channel 4, back in the late '80s / early '90s. Probably a one off thing, all I remember is some chap had invented a teleportation device, people were queuing up to go in it. The girl in the cartoon managed to see in the booths that the first destroyed the person, and the second made a 'new' person; she refused to go in it. Eventually she was persuaded and afterwards went home smiling that she was a new person or something. Strange, slightly disturbing memory.

Mr Skinnylegs

"Scottish Cheddar! It's our kind of cheese!"

Nobody I know remembers this advert.

Fabian Thomsett

Diane Louise-Jordan disliking a chocolate flavoured sausage on Blue Peter. (Not a euphemism).

A rock band with a lead singer who wore a very prominent plaster on his nose on Live and Kicking.

A one-off show about a girl in a wheelchair and her dream life (which seemed to involve Richard Branson - or someone who looked a lot like him - as a pratfalling circus performer, among other things). It had a song at the end that went "you're all right as you are".

Watching an edition of The Low Down (a surprisingly hifalutin' documentary series on kids tv) which began with a college age girl eating a bag of chips and saying something along the lines of "many people have argued over the definition of art. For me, this bag of chips is art". Blew my six year old mind, it did.

Chriddof

Quote from: purlieu on January 12, 2015, 01:55:28 AM
Weird cartoon that was on a Saturday morning, might have been Channel 4, back in the late '80s / early '90s. Probably a one off thing, all I remember is some chap had invented a teleportation device, people were queuing up to go in it. The girl in the cartoon managed to see in the booths that the first destroyed the person, and the second made a 'new' person; she refused to go in it. Eventually she was persuaded and afterwards went home smiling that she was a new person or something. Strange, slightly disturbing memory.

I remember this. IIRC it wasn't a teleportation device but a person copying device. The girl (who I seem to remember was a princess) asked the inventor to demonstrate it with himself, but there was some sort of rule that you had to destroy the original for some inexplicable reason. The girl forced him into the booth, and he was disintegrated. The girl/princess was so guilty that she made a copy of herself, and then destroyed herself, leaving behind "a guiltless copy". I have a feeling it was shown as part of some kind of animation film festival round-up.

phes

Frank Skinner and Martin Kemp doing a funny little skit about the Steve Owen/Saskia Duncan Eastenders storyline. Bit like the advert intermissions Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer used to do. Skinner dressed up as Matthew Rose but looked more like a chimpanzee in sports casuals and Kemp as Steve Owen "Naaaaaaa then Mat, yer gonna listen to me!"

The Frank Skinner Show, series 3 episode 8 (1999) I think. Been trying to track it down for 10 years.

ProvanFan

A phone in competition on CBBC to win this Mighty Max toy.

A naked family on The Real Holiday Show

The long advert for an 80s CD compilation with the grey haired guy from VH1 and knowing the exact order of all the songs.

A female contestant on one of the first episodes of Gladiators cheating by lubricating her legs for The Wall.

The guy with the stripey trousers from the gay chat advert

Fabian Thomsett

Alan Yentob being interviewed by Andi Peters in the broom cupboard. I remember in the lead up to him coming on, Peters referred to him (in a sort of chant) as Yo Yo Yentob.

Of course, ever since, I've thought of him as Yo Yo Yentob.

Dead Soon

This I think might have been mentioned by me already.

Someone on morning kid's TV circa 1999 was about to be released into the gunge tank and there was quite a bit of fuss over it, this person was a big important name. I just remember an atmosphere of ''this really shouldn't be happening'' going on in the studio - then Otis the Aardvark popped up, decried everyone for willing the gunging of this important person to happen and that's where it stopped, I think.

Perhaps, in relation to the last post, it was Alan Yentob.

biggytitbo

doppelkorn

Toby Anstis introducing cricket-club-set children's drama Sloggers as "snoggers" and getting all faux giggly about it.

Replies From View

A Grange Hill one:  a class are at a swimming pool, and while the instructor is attending to an adjacent pool they mess about despite being told not to.  This culminates in one of the kids jumping into the pool to get something from the bottom, but he ends up staying at the bottom of the pool in a really strange way.  I just remember that, really - the peculiar way that he was staying on the bottom of the pool not moving.  Then the class of kids suddenly started screaming and legging it out of the swimming pool room.  I don't remember much else but I think whether he survived was left ambiguous at the end of the episode.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Replies From View on January 12, 2015, 09:40:17 AM
A Grange Hill one:  a class are at a swimming pool, and while the instructor is attending to an adjacent pool they mess about despite being told not to.  This culminates in one of the kids jumping into the pool to get something from the bottom, but he ends up staying at the bottom of the pool in a really strange way.  I just remember that, really - the peculiar way that he was staying on the bottom of the pool not moving.  Then the class of kids suddenly started screaming and legging it out of the swimming pool room.  I don't remember much else but I think whether he survived was left ambiguous at the end of the episode.

This scene is referenced in Spaced, I believe.

doppelkorn

A scene from Baywatch[nb]which I never watched[/nb] where a sexeh ladeh goes swimming in a pool and her ring falls off and goes into one of the suckers at the bottom. She goes to fetch it but her finger gets sucked in and it's very frightening.

Cerys

Quote from: ProvanFan on January 12, 2015, 04:12:37 AM
The long advert for an 80s CD compilation with the grey haired guy from VH1 and knowing the exact order of all the songs.

Was the bloke on a TV screen shouting 'Citizen!' at the end?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: non capisco on January 12, 2015, 01:03:59 AM
An episode of Grange Hill where they set up a school radio station with a horoscope column and two of the lass characters sang the star signs. "Sagi-tarri-usssss!"

I remember this.

An advert for some crisps that went "HA! HAAAA! HAAAA! CHINESE SPARE RIBS!"

I remember this too.

What now? Oh yeah, I will try and join in and remember stuff from old telly and that.

Oh yeah, Ziggy Greaves in Grange Hill going mental and having some sort of protest on the roof of the school for some reason. That happened, didn't it?

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

A children's TV show called Once Upon A Time... Life.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time..._Life

I never knew when it was going to be on and enjoyed it as a real treat when it was. What a geeky child. I'm pretty sure it set off an interest in human biology that I still have today. Pity all the plant biology or the teachers or something put me off studying biology properly. I reckon I'd be a great doctor.

phantom_power

There was a (probably) short-lived quiz show in the 80s based on the zodiac (may have been called the Zodiac Game) where the theme tune was just a list of the star signs. Not only do I still remember this tune, the only way I can remember the star signs is by singing it in my head