Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inessential shit from the backwaters of years old TV that you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, January 12, 2015, 01:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

That's it! - Yes will endeavor to actually read the thread next time.
Soz. (I was having a quick poo when I posted originally).

Blue Jam

Is there anyone who lived through the 1990s who doesn't remember the character 'Scouse' from Neighbours? I never even liked Neighbours and according to IMDB he only ever made two appearances but I can still remember the British backpacker who blagged a bit part and his atrocious attempt at the Liverpool accent to this day.

Lots of info on the first episode Scouse was in, with pics.

Lots of info on the second episode Scouse was in, with even more pics.

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 12, 2015, 04:08:43 PM
Is there anyone who lived through the 1990s who doesn't remember the character 'Scouse' from Neighbours? I never even liked Neighbours and according to IMDB he only ever made two appearances but I can still remember the British backpacker who blagged a bit part and his atrocious attempt at the Liverpool accent to this day.

Lots of info on the first episode Scouse was in, with pics.

Lots of info on the second episode Scouse was in, with even more pics.

Me. It's my proud boast that I have only ever seen Neighbours once in my life. Kylie and Jason's wedding. I was in someone else's house at the time so I had no choice.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 12, 2015, 01:14:07 PM
In the 80s CITV continuity was recorded, don't know if it was still the case in 1991. If it was it's a very strange thing to happen, maybe it was a gag?

Nah it was a terrible fuck-up. They even talked about how the previous segment had gone better than expected (pace Guy I don't remember the sound being muted all the way through). Not sure how you could justify it as a gag anyhow - their star puppet character was shown to be an ordinary bloke in a suit to millions of kids.

jaydee81

Well this thread is quickly descending into 'kids TV programmes from the 80s' isn't it?'

I don't know what's more amazing about this Brave New (I don't have to believe urban myths and can quickly type into Google 'did Cheetarah appear naked in the first episode of Thundercats?') World we live in.

Is it that I can type 'Johnny Briggs toothpaste' into Google and realise someone has already reminisced about this? Or is it that someone has listed all of the TX dates on Phillip Schofield's incredible children's quiz 'The Movie Game' into wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Movie_Game_(UK_TV_series)

Replies From View

Quote from: jaydee81 on January 12, 2015, 04:42:38 PM
Well this thread is quickly descending into 'kids TV programmes from the 80s' isn't it?'

I don't know what's more amazing about this Brave New (I don't have to believe urban myths and can quickly type into Google 'did Cheetarah appear naked in the first episode of Thundercats?') World we live in.

Is it that I can type 'Johnny Briggs toothpaste' into Google and realise someone has already reminisced about this? Or is it that someone has listed all of the TX dates on Phillip Schofield's incredible children's quiz 'The Movie Game' into wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Movie_Game_(UK_TV_series)

I don't quite know what you're getting at, but I do find myself amazed that it's possible to find a lot of TV ephemera - like continuity from a time when many of us thought of television as an entirely "live" medium - on the internet to be viewed again.

But the result of this is that I have already tracked down most of the vague television memories (like Broom Cupboard things, Schools Programmes opening titles and specific scenes, Children's Film Foundation films etc.) that ten or twelve years ago haunted me in quite a specific way.  It limits the kinds of things that I feel I can mention in a thread like this, as the internet has very definitely reduced the pool of what remains obscure.

The Masked Unit

A kids drama; probably a Dramarama I reckon. All I remember is a kid was at a poor kid's house and spots a massive hole in the poor kid's mattress. Poor kid says something like "Yeah, well it's more comfortable like that".

Some TV for schools type thing like a Geordie Racer, Badger Girl etc. Some archetypal, hauntological late 70s black kid in the mould of Benny from Grange Hill has some crab apples stuffed up his jumper that he's just scrumped. Somebody asks what he's got up his top to which he replied "Cwaaab apples"

studpuppet

I'll let all you into my private childhood hell. One episode of Armchair Thriller made me lock my entire family out of the caravan we were living in at the time. The opening titles were scary enough even though they only went out at 7-8pm ish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Up8vQ0cd0

But them my mum left me home alone one night, and I saw (as I pieced together from this site http://www.markmcm.co.uk/blacknun/armchairthriller/index.html and buying the DVD later) the beginning of 'The Limbo Connection' starring James Bolam - at the end of the first part a Mini car crashes.

At the time, my mum also drove a Mini and my young brain morphed that into my mum having been kidnapped. When she arrived home after picking up the rest of the family I was cowering under my bedclothes and wouldn't let any of them in because it was a 'trap' and not really my family outside. They ended up having to crowbar the door of the caravan open, I was so adamant they weren't going to get me!

Steven

I've mentioned this one before, but to no avail. Would have been mid to late 80s, probably a grown ups programme, from incredibly vague memory it seemed like a bit of a maudlin bit in a comedy. A fat man is dressed in a polar bear costume in the men's bogs, he is very depressed, he draws a picture of himself as a polar bear on the wall and writes 'VULGAR' underneath. This should be in the Desolation thread.

Cerys

You know, the more I think about it the more familiar that feels.  Um.  Not helping very much, though, am I?

mycroft

Breakfast Serials - short drama skits shown very early on Saturday morning, linked by a teapot and a couple of other kitchen utensils, and written by Russell T. Davies. Shows included 'Runners', in which people are being chased for reasons that I can't remember ever being revealed, and 'Nice Chap' (and its sequels), about a comic character that came to life.

Cerys

wooders1978

"The smoker from the future" sticks in my ind, especially the bit about having an extra long index finger to tap ash - which seemed a little like overkill on evolutions part

http://youtu.be/sWfOLN9Z1yw

smaller ears, because they don't listen

purlieu

That chess game actually made me think of a CBBC thing which was set in a lift - the child contestant went to different floors to pass certain 'levels' and the final was always playing some chess game with a Darth Vader-type figure. A stripped-down Crystal Maze in some senses.

Fabian Thomsett

Quote from: purlieu on January 12, 2015, 06:23:37 PM
That chess game actually made me think of a CBBC thing which was set in a lift - the child contestant went to different floors to pass certain 'levels' and the final was always playing some chess game with a Darth Vader-type figure. A stripped-down Crystal Maze in some senses.

Incredible Games. David Walliams played the lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCxyiIn92xk

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I always remembered the Vangellis-esque theme tune, but I'd forgotten that Walliams hosted it.

purlieu

Lovely, thank you!
Also just remembered an absurd CBBC series called Mud, starring a young Russell Brand. The first series was about a bunch of kids being mischievous at an outdoor activity centre; the second series had the same children trying to stop a time travelling witch ending the world or something. I was so utterly confused by it as a kid.

Johnny Textface

There was a quiz show on bbc years ago where the contestants used to play Hypersports on like a spectrum.. And maybe 720 the skateboard game too, can't remember due to brain.

Steven

Quote from: Cerys on January 12, 2015, 06:18:06 PM
Steven - it wasn't in an episode of Nightingales, was it?

Just had a look and it could be, it had that empty building at night kind of bleak feel to it, but I can't find any reference to the scene I remember. Though I recall my parents would have Only When I Laugh on regularly which must have been in repeats and that show used to depress the hell out of me, especially the theme tune, set in a sterile hospital etc so that's another contender I suppose.

jake thunder

Someone phoning into CBBC to ask Aswad "what do you think of twats?".

Anstis said that there is always one bad apple. But he has shitty pants soooo....

willpurry

"The Album" - "Collecting dust and fibre discs from her mother's tumble dryer".

biggytitbo

Early-mid 80s sitcom where one of the characters walked around atop a giant inflatable ball (I think he was planning to walk around the world on it). And there might also have been a ghost in it, or an invisible man. And possibly Lorraine Chase.

willpurry

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 12, 2015, 07:42:06 PM
Early-mid 80s sitcom where one of the characters walked around atop a giant inflatable ball (I think he was planning to walk around the world on it). And there might also have been a ghost in it, or an invisible man. And possibly Lorraine Chase.

Lame Ducks.

biggytitbo

BlodwynPig

John Barnes mockumentary on the history of skipping aired on Tyne Tees in 1988.

Replies From View

Quote from: studpuppet on January 12, 2015, 03:45:25 PM
Or The Adventure Game end bit - the Vortex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HLX2weZfkA

I don't understand that game at all.  The players can't see the vortex, so are moving blind, whereas the person moving the vortex can see everything.  So what thinking is involved on the part of the player?  They're just moving randomly aren't they?  Why do they behave as if it is a puzzle?  And when the Kevin Eldon bloke was playing, why did one of the women say "Ooh this is a tricky one"?  What was tricky?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kane Jones on January 12, 2015, 03:54:25 PM
As others have pointed out, it's The Adventure Game.  It used to scare me a bit too.  There was also a pot plant called 'Uncle' I think.

It was terrifying.

biggytitbo

Don't question adventure game, none of it made sense but we didn't care because it was the 80s.

Puzzles on BBC micros, backward talking men, Maggie Philbin and Johnny Ball in tracksuits - heaven.