Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:57:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson are fucking brilliant thread

Started by Nowhere Man, January 17, 2015, 02:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I've just finished Mike Love's auto-biography. A thing of Patridge-esque beauty.

Serge

Your regular posts of passages from it on Facebook mean that even as a non-Beach Boys fan, I'm probably going to spring for the paperback.

jenna appleseed

Brian sees thread title and gets overexcited

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Nowhere Man

If we're doing Beach Boys memes now here's a few:

and a video of great 'Brianisms' that someone made. Aka his weird way of phrasing certain things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxjGOM9w0wo

jenna appleseed

Not sure how long this'll stay up but Mike for some reason felt the need to re-record Sloop John B (it's actually not shit)
overdubed on the original promo https://youtu.be/N97hSClC0TA

eta: instantly blocked in all countries.

jenna appleseed

Attila

I got about a minute into the Mike Love version (thanks for uploading it, Jenna!) and had to go searching for a version of the original.

He musta had that cap nailed to his head to keep it on whilst jumping about in the pool...

Switching back over to the original Beach Boys' version felt, to my ears, what it must be like for those folks who get the Ectachrome glasses and see the world in colour for the first time.[nb]example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76uwwkSOTQ8[/nb]

Nowhere Man

I admire even attempting it, but there is honestly no reason for this to exist! Ugh.

Revelator

A list of some favorite, slightly lesser-known Beach Boys tracks:

"When I Grow Up (To be a Man)"--The first what became a BB specialty, a song as deeply weird as it's deeply touching. At various parts of my life I've listened for my age in the countdown at the end. It no longer appears.

"Kiss Me, Baby"--Did they ever cut a more romantic number? Beautifully gentle with a swooping chorus.

"The Girl from New York City"--An overlooked little rocker (love the guitar licks). Asshole Mike Love was a pretty good rock and roll singer at times.

"You're So Good to Me"--Another BB specialty, the song that is simultaneously goofy and awesome. An almost comically crude beat coupled with breathtaking falsetto.

"Let Him Run Wild"--Brian Wilson hated his vocals for this manic-depressive track ("I sounded like a fairy") but they're suited for its emotional overload.

"She's Goin' Bald"--Their goofiest-ever track. Every time I play this, people give me weird looks and ask what drugs the group was on.

"Gettin' Hungry"--Straight-up rock'n'roll and an incredible emotional release, thanks to the whispers and monster chorus.

"Aren't You Glad"--Very sweet, but what I love most are the horns.

"How She Boogalooed It"--Proof the Beach Boys were also a killer garage band.

"Celebrate the News"--Dennis shows he could write tunes as bubbly and serpentine as his brother's.

"Little Bird"--The first of Dennis's attempts to combine intimacy with epic bombast: the arrangement is stunning.

"Do It Again"--Not lesser-known, but I want to praise the electronic drums at the beginning. There should have been an entire song with them.

"All I Want to Do"--The raunchy, scuzzy side of the Beach Boys that should have been let out more often. Excellent vocals from Love, who have let out his assholiness with music instead of bothering with TM.

"Never Learn Not to Love"--So, Charles Manson was not a bad songwriter. Credit to Dennis for making the song so airy, inspirational, and charming that you almost forget who birthed it.

"Slip on Through"--More "unique processed cowbell."

"'Til I Die"--No, not overlooked, but it's the Beach Boys' most terrifying song: the story of a fate worse than death.

"(Wouldn't It Be Nice to) Live Again"--Dennis tackles male vulnerability; it was the theme of much of his work, but never more clearly than here.

"All This Is That"--Spirituality is often deadly in song, but the churning sound and Carl's vocals give this luminosity.

"Steamboat"--Sludgy and entrancing, with an unaffected spaciness.

"California Saga: Big Sur and The Beaks of Eagles"--Mike Love had one or two hidden depths. Far from being straightforward celebrations of pioneers, these strange, swooping tracks take in death on the frontier and avian incest (thanks Robinson Jeffers).

"The Trader"--Politics is another potentially deadly subject, but this is a genuinely effective anti-colonialist lament, because enters the colonialist mindset (the natives "couldn't even write their names!" huffs Carl) and sets it against a percolating tune.

"Funky Pretty"--Deeply silly yet effective lyrics ("Where's my spark in the dark?" howls Blondie) slapped onto a masterful and very funky song. Makes you regret the Beach Boys didn't get funkier more often. The version on The Beach Boys in Concert is even more propulsive.

"Everyone's in Love with You"--I won't try and defend this sugary trifle very much, which I liked it before knowing it was about the Maharishi.

"The Night Was So Young"--A last atavistic gasp of the high-flown, epic romantic style of "Kiss Me Baby."

"My Diane"--Nothing great, but an example of Brian's residual talent intermittently shining through a dark period. 

"Angel Come Home"--Not the soulless album cut, but the after-midnight Midnight Special live performance, pure blue-eyed soul:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Ka4BpLzgk

jenna appleseed

The Battle Hymn Of The Republic for sleighbells, cutesy/weird synths, children's folk song lp banjo, and Mike Love (possibly not realising he's being trolled by Brian) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT_dU3ohFkk

Probably already posted (couldn't find it via google) - but just ended up here again,
can't stop listening.  It's incomprehensible/accidentally(?) hilarious /has far too many fucking words/verses. Inexplicable Beach Boys is inexplicable.

jenna appleseed

Re-listening Dennis' on the Midnight Special to remind me what something real sounds like.

perfect description Revelator "pure blue-eyed soul"

Wish this clip was out there in better quality.

eta: the way voice at the end goes "thank you, thank you, thank you" makes me think Kermit the Frog's just run onto the set, waving his arms around.

jenna appleseed

Youtube just suggested this in the sidebar
"The Beach Boys Live In Costa Mesa 8/3/1983 Full Concert Final Complete Line up" afaik the last show with both Brian and Dennis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz3LhcpMGQs

@ 1:04 Brian's just given a shout out to "his brother Dennis"

almost 1:05 to almost 1:08'll break your heart - this is where that clip of Dennis struggling to talk & then sing You Are So Beautiful for probably the last time they made to look like it's from 4th of July concert in An American Band comes from. It's really hard to work out what he's saying just before the familiar clip but pos a dedication/mentions "to my dear brother Brian", + (I think) "Mr. Landy" & "my son Gage"

eta: somebody yells out "Joe Cocker" while he's trying to intro the song,
and somebody laughs & there's people cheering while Dennis sounds totally fucked/heartbroken.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Revelator on November 07, 2016, 09:47:29 PM

"Do It Again"--Not lesser-known, but I want to praise the electronic drums at the beginning. There should have been an entire song with them.

Air - Remember

PaulTMA

Gone and bought a ticket for the Mike 'n' Bruce show next year.  Third row.  Genuinely looking forward to it.

SteveDave

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 18, 2016, 03:49:21 PM
Gone and bought a ticket for the Mike 'n' Bruce show next year.  Third row.  Genuinely looking forward to it.

"WheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEn some load braggart tries to put me down and says his school is grate"

Nowhere Man

Thought this was an interesting article, from the Love You era:

Custard

That's great. Love You is a great record, one of my absolute favourites

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 06, 2016, 12:39:42 PM
That's great. Love You is a great record, one of my absolute favourites

Likewise. Yeah it's really inexplicable and corny at points, but it's just oozing with charm which is more than can be said for any of the "band"'s efforts after that point. There's a lovely recording out there of I'll Bet He's Nice being demoed for the rest of the group by Brian: it's rough as fuck, but even Love ends up being bowled over by the time the bridge comes around and it's just really interesting to listen to.

What's the general consensus on Adult/Child? I know it's been mentioned here but not in great depth by anyone but Nowhere Man: I personally reckon that at least half of it is as solid as the tracks on Love You, with It's Over Now and Still I Dream of It being up there with some of Wilson's most beautiful songs even with everyone's scraggly old man voices. But then there's stuff like Hey Little Tomboy and Shortnin' Bread[nb]Maybe during this period, Brian could have thought of Shortnin' his BEARD!!!!!!!!![/nb].....

Nowhere Man

"Beach Boys" (aka Mike & Bruce) considering invitation to perform at Trump Inauguration.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7633091/beach-boys-considering-invitation-to-perform-at-trump-inauguration

Fucking hell I hope this doesn't happen. It would basically be taking a shit on Brian's musical legacy.

Oh, and this is an actual post from a member of SmileySmile.net (thankfully seems to have been banned.)

QuoteI'm getting the feeling that many people in this thread are liberals which is just a shorthand of saying hysterical people with no political understanding very little formal education and who read a couple of selected websites like moveon.org or read the guardian rag magazine and have hatred for Trump who is already doing an outstanding job in leading this country and will do more for women and more for minorities and more for the gay community than all the brain-dead Liberals combined that have tried to lead this country of late .  I don't like to get angry or unkind here but I'm so frustrated with the moral self-righteousness of snarky liberals who pay no attention to the real actions and accomplishments of the president-elect and just go with the crowd from things they have heard from other uninformed and barely educated people who live only for hate and snark. I would be thrilled if the Patriotic Beach Boys would put country first and would perform which is not a political act but an act of patriotism and unity. I thought the motto on the left was stronger together wasn't it? There is nothing more intolerant and hate-filled than a leftist American liberal.

American Liberals are an elite academic cast who are capable only in performing in a snarky way what they call social justice and I am very disappointed that the level of intellectual depth in this thread, which is equivalent to that of someone like Samantha Bee on television. I am one of the intellectuals for Trump and like him I have liberal social policies and I believe in protection and prosperity and have seen nothing but failure in the Obama years.
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24670.50.html

Is that not just the most condescending, cunty, try hard piece of shit you could ever read?

Just a gentle reminder here that Brian was perfectly happy to accept money from the Queen at her jubilee bash at the Palace a few years back.  Was that taking a shit on the Beach Boys musical legacy? 

Replies From View

Quote from: Rev Arthur Belling on December 23, 2016, 01:58:42 PM
Just a gentle reminder here that Brian was perfectly happy to accept money from the Queen at her jubilee bash at the Palace a few years back.  Was that taking a shit on the Beach Boys musical legacy?

Probably the Queen and Trump are different, dunno.

Nowhere Man

But the fact is that Trump is the most divisive leader in Western Politics right now. Despite the huge fucking waste that is the cunt of death and her family, playing for them is hardly going to ruin the bands reputation is it? To be honest, it never would have entered my mind to even compare them, considering performing for one of these events is clearly worse than the other.

Not forgetting that Brian's handlers would have been the ones getting the paycheck and even if it was him alone, I doubt he'd be very aware of what a bunch of shits the royal family are. Even then he was a bit in his own head.

Meanwhile ruining the bands legacy for every future generation for the sake of Mike and Bruce's political gain is probably not good in the long run.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Nowhere Man on December 23, 2016, 02:16:03 PM
ruining the bands legacy
It's not though, is it? All it really serves to do is solidify Love's already shit rep.

I for one quite like the idea of the shit Beach Boys being the best band Trump could muster up, it's certainly better than Trump getting to play the victim card by literally every remotely recognisable name that isn't Ted Nugent and Kid Rock turning him down.
If it weren't for the fact that it'll cause Brian a fuckton of stress I'd be all for it.

Funcrusher

Revelator

I for one could never again hear Brian sing "Help Me Oliver Cromwell" without feeling tainted. All seriousness aside, next to the Apricot Hellbeast Mrs. Queen is a classy broad who knows when to keep her mouth shut: You will never hear her calling Romanian immigrants rapists or bragging about grabbing her Prime Ministers by the cooch. Better for Brian to take money that could easily have been raised from the millions the royals bring in through tourism than to perform for free in front of the most potentially harmful man on earth; better to consort with a harmless figurehead of state than with a millionaire-slumlord reality TV star demagogue who plans to bring misery to millions.

Howj Begg

No, not even slightly, and I'm an ardent anti-monarchist.

This will be like playing Israel during the cultural boycott or putting on a concert in apartheid South Africa in the 80s. When even Gene Simmons won't do something...

ajsmith

What a non story. Beach Boys 'considering' playing for Trump. They're the iconic all- American band, of course they would consider playing for the new presidents inauguration. We all already know that Love has palled around with Trump on a few occassions (including when Love's 'Beach Boys' played for a non politically engaged Trump a few years back) so hard to see how it's going to damage the brand perceptibly if they accept and belt out the usual hits for an hour as one more bit of background Americana at the tackfest.

Savvily cynical of Billboard to manage to convert a formal invite going as yet unreplied into a piece of workable clickbait because so many jump at one more chance to dump on Mike Love = more site visits for them.

As the article itself alludes to, The Beach Boys played several times for the Reagans in the early 80s, with Brian in the band for most if not all of them, which edges things closer to a precendent  for a playing for Trump situation than Brian performing  for Queen E 2.

Admittedly Brian doesn't look very happy about it in this picture, but that's as likely reflective of a discomfort of being on stage full stop than any attempt at a political statement.