Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson are fucking brilliant thread

Started by Nowhere Man, January 17, 2015, 02:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

Disney Girls is by far the best song Juice Bronston ever wrote. Its probably the thing (along with the vocal coda on God Only Knows) that makes me look at him as more than just a glorified sideman.

This is pretty fun though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lxGstAel7c

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 30, 2015, 09:06:59 AM
I highly recommend reading Nick Kent's famous article on yer Boys. You can get it in his collected writings book, The Dark Stuff. He totally annihilates Murray Wilson and Mike Love, and the Brian stuff is fascinating

Apparently inaccurate about the woman who was Brian's girlfriend at the time - according to posts over on Smileysmile which of course I can't actually find again right now.

eta: I'm full on in love/obsessed with Dennis/Brian/the band right now (been deliberately not posting on this thread because I don't want to take over it with gushing/angst).

Brian did a fan q&a on Smileysmile & his website last week -
he did a bit of not actually answering the questions, but revealed
'they're' talked about touring Love You!

summary of all his answers
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19801.msg496199.html#msg496199

& ones answered over on his board
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19586.msg496185.html#msg496185

jenna appleseed

THE LONELY SEA - good article about Dennis from Mojo Magazine/Ben Edmonds, pretty sad but mixes some positive stories in with the ugly/serious desolation thread material (+ the most rubbish haunting this side of Elvis in Mystery Train.)

This one's pretty dark - focuses mostly on his involvement with Manson, decline & unappreciated music, don't remember Peter Doggett ever  being this angry.

Quote...Dennis? He was the booze-soaked drummer, an innocent excessive who lost his soul to Charles Manson. Easier to perpetuate that myth than admit the Beach Boys ignored the man who was Brian Wilson's only possible heir.

Rolling Stone's bleak fest from '84 exploring his (in increasing detail) the year(s), months and days leading up to his death, has appeared on their website
Not sure if the title's a statement of fact or a very dark joke
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-beach-boy-who-went-overboard-19840607
- hardcore desolation thread.

bringing the tone right down massively:

Beach Boys/Brian/Mike Love related meme insanity - why is this funny?

+ is it just me who can't look at this logo without thinking of a b3ta style cartoon spunking cock?

Nowhere Man

I fucking hate that logo, I can't believe it survived long enough to be used during the 50th anniversary tour. They should have just gone with the Pet Sounds logo or designed a new one altogether.[nb]if i'm not mistaken I think Dean Torrance was the mastermind behind designing it[/nb]

I didn't get my question answered on the Q&A on Smiley Smile but I did get into an argument with a "hardcore" Beach Boy fan or two who was arguing that the board members on the site should have been asked much more serious in depth questions to Brian. As if he's the type of guy that gives in depth answers anyway! Mind you we did find out he likes cheese pizza so something worthwhile did come out of it. :p

jenna appleseed

It's shit, innit (the logo I mean).
Oh and we also learnt that Brian was inventing the hipster glasses look during Pet Sounds, he only wore them because it looked cool.

Eta: avoided the q&a til after it was all over - couldn't think of any questions, then could only think of ones that were either obvious & boring, not remotely likely for Brian to actually answer, or had already been posted.

re Smileysmile I lurk mostly, post occasionally,  it was finding that site and archive binging the random questions & old article scans threads + their leak of Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again that tipped me into full on obsession. Keep having to quit the site to resist the desire to either tell the resident factwhore exactly what I think of them or make massively inappropriate jokes and risk upsetting people/one person who's kind of an insider & is far nicer than us fans deserve.

eta2: stumbled around the corner to the co-op for emergency food
buying (ran out of anything that isn't supernoodles or quorn mince) & they were playing Wouldn't It Be Nice

Custard

Quality stuff Jenna, thanking you much

What did you think of Endless Harmony?

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 30, 2015, 06:37:28 PM
Love You is fucking brilliant. The greatest man child album of all time.[nb]Whatever that means.[/nb]
I honestly find it hard to believe there are people who can't see its brilliance.

Patti Smith loved it.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 03, 2015, 10:18:19 AM
Quality stuff Jenna, thanking you much

What did you think of Endless Harmony?

Need to watch it properly - seen bits but not the whole thing (and some of that was via the bbc edit nearly 20 years ago). The video for Friends that's on the version of the dvd I've got[nb](this cover )[/nb] is fun
- at one point Mike Love appears to being chased by a boy wanting his bike back. eta: this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45LpOzVcKYw

The Beach Boys run away from a load of children, Dennis decides he wants to hold hands, Al auditions for Baywatch, Mike appears to be trying to be a Billy Childish lookalike, and everyone has a picnic. *nerd alert* right at the end Al appears to be wearing an original Smile promo t-shirt.

Black_Bart

Just don't let Charlie score your charlie...

Anybody seen the Bio pic they did, and the "romantic" way they wrote out Dennis?

Wild Honey...

daf

Quote from: jenna appleseed on February 03, 2015, 10:20:42 AM
Patti Smith loved it.

It's a great album [nb](Ding Dang is my favourite)[/nb], but what a load of pretentious claptrap!

Nowhere Man

Alex Chilton, lead singer of Big Star & The Box Tops covered 3 Beach Boys tunes in a row on his live album Electricity by Candlelight one of them is a cover of Solar System!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK8fOnD2yos

Subtle Mocking

Just dropping by to ask why there's still no studio version of 'Stevie'. One of their finest from that period.

SteveDave

Custard

Wow, that could be good. And Paul Giamatti as Landy!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The reviews for this so far have been extremely positive. Sounds like it's definitely a cut above yer standard rock biopic.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 03, 2015, 04:50:04 PM
Alex Chilton, lead singer of Big Star & The Box Tops covered 3 Beach Boys tunes in a row on his live album Electricity by Candlelight one of them is a cover of Solar System!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK8fOnD2yos

He covers I Wanna Pick You Up on a tribute album (haven't heard it) - oh yeah and The Box tops toured with The Beach Boys (there's a Beach Boys version of The Letter out there), Carl Wilson taughted how to play the guitar. Alex briefly stayed at Dennis' at the same time everybody else did - there's stuff about him waking up on a sofa next to Manson and accidentally becoming his & the girls grocery boy. 

Seriously unimpressed Alex Chilton & over-excited Dennis Wilson

Custard

Been listening to Love You all week. Tis great, isn't it? Now probably my second favourite, behind Pet Sounds

Though I Wanna Pick You Up is equal parts disturbing and equal parts hilarious. Was it written about one of Wilson's kids, or is it about a girlfriend? Because if its the former, its sweet. If its the latter, its pure horror. Really makes me laff, though

PAT PAT
PAT HER BUTT

Nowhere Man

I'll be honest and say bar Pet Sounds and SMiLE, Love You is the album I keep coming back too. Yes, even over Today! and Sunflower.

jenna appleseed

Brian creates (well in 1987) a proto Barbie Girl for Californian Dreams Barbie & it's so fucking innocent (even though not even Aqua suggested she was yummy like ice cream). I'm not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed that it's not a cover of Cliff's Living Doll.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b2hpa2leDI
(lol at the youtubers total wtf is this lack of comprehension at what looks like the worlds smallest and shitest flexidisc)

Barbie seems impressed

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_rarest_brian_wilson_song_of_all_living_doll_barbie

jenna appleseed

France desperately tries to convince everybody Smiley Smile is just another perfectly normal Beach Boys album.

Quote from: jenna appleseed on February 08, 2015, 12:41:46 PM

France desperately tries to convince everybody Smiley Smile is just another perfectly normal Beach Boys album.

Far out!  And "Fall Breaks...." is replaced by Our Prayer and You're Welcome.

Nowhere Man

I laughed my arse off when I saw this picture on Brian's Facebook.

jenna appleseed

^ I know, he looks like he's got himself tangled up in fairy lights.

SteveDave

Nowhere Man

I like the 60's scenes but the transition to Cusack's older Brian came along a little jarring for my tastes. I shouldn't judge on such a short segment though. It looks very promising actually! [nb]especially considering how low the bar was set by the previous two Beach Boys related dramatisations! [/nb]

Phil_A

Cusack's casting is a bit baffling to me. Having two actors play Brian is odd, if understandable, but the fact is he doesn't look much like him at any age. Couldn't they at least have asked Jeff Daniels?

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 07, 2015, 04:56:49 PM
I'll be honest and say bar Pet Sounds and SMiLE, Love You is the album I keep coming back too. Yes, even over Today! and Sunflower.

I listened to it on the way to work bbecause of your post. I disagree with you as I did not enjoy it. Aren't these the half finishes songs the Beach Boys nicked from a deranged Brian? (At least according to that dodgy biography).

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 25, 2015, 09:06:06 PM
It looks very promising actually, especially considering how low the bar was set by the previous two Beach Boys related dramatisations!

I know of Summer Beards Dreams but what's the other one NM?

Unrelated note. Did anyone ever buy one of these?

No, I just don't get it.  Summer Dreams and An American Family were worth watching once for the low-budget laughs but I just don't get how a 90 minute bio-pic will add anything of the slightest value to either my knowledge and understanding of or my enjoyment of my favourite band and my favourite pop song writer.