Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson are fucking brilliant thread

Started by Nowhere Man, January 17, 2015, 02:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on February 26, 2015, 11:57:35 AM
I know of Summer Beards Dreams but what's the other one NM?

Unrelated note. Did anyone ever buy one of these?

My friend bought me one of them but when I laughed at the concept she kept it for herself. Brian's signature looks like Homer Simpson's.

Custard

A chubby beardy Brian, complete with sandpit edition would be great

Skip Bittman

Love & Mercy is pretty fantastic. I thought I'd love Dano and make fun of Cusack, but damn -- the man did a great job. Luscious soundtrack, Atticus Rose did a brilliant job collaging up session fragments into a gooey miasma of sound... it was a great idea to concentrate on two main eras instead of trying to encapsulate his entire life with a series of wigs and beards.

I could drone on at length, but fans of Pet Sounds/Smile should definitely check it out this summer.

daf

Brian, Al, Ricky and Blondie  [nb](Looking remarkably like a pickled Lou Reed) [/nb] do Wild Honey :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF9k3I1sQSE

Skip Bittman

He looks like a cross between Lou Reed and Darian back there. Blondie did an unbelievable job adding some vicious energy to that, Marcella, Sail On Sailor and Hold On Dear Brother. He'll be part of the band on the upcoming tour as well. I'm told European dates in the fall... Shame they couldn't entice Stig O'Hara along as well.

I was at that show, an incredible evening with some great stuff and a varied setlist. Sad they won't be including "Pacific Coast Highway/Summer's Gone" performed with a nice string section in the special... hopefully a full DVD/Bluray release is in the cards!

Watching the rehearsals had me on perma-smile all day, then even had Billy Hinsche out:

CaledonianGonzo

Does anyone know what Blondie did to get ditched by the Stones?

Skip Bittman

Someone said that Mick Jagger thought "he was a bad influence on Keith." Could that POSSIBLY be true. Watching him sing Wild Honey with one eye open does make ya wonder. Any Stones fans know the story?

He was starting to do a great job with that solo, a shame that horn came in and blew some Weather Channel notes at him.

CaledonianGonzo

I'm sure I read on a Stones forum a year or so back that it wasn't Mick, so I guess that means it was Keith who binned him. Though  I can't imagine he was any worse of an influence in that regard than Bobby Keys, god rest.

Nowhere Man

I think a permanent line up of that band is almost as interesting as the 50th anniversary line up, as that video of Wild Honey proved. I mean thats more than twice as many actual Beach Boy's members as the band with that tours with the name!

On another note, how much do you guys think Brian's stock has risen since the early 90's? I wasn't around then but considering the upcoming movie and book, that BBC God Only Knows thing, constant re-issues, the 50th anniversary,  the SMiLE stuff (solo AND the sessions release), constant touring, documentaries etc.

I'm pretty certain he's the only member who could be considered a household name in the UK, and I bet that was nowhere near the case before the 90s!

Paaaaul

I remember The Beach Boys being on the cover of a bunch of music magazines in the early 90s when all the Capitol albums got issued on CD with the bonus material. Select did a c.12 page article about the band which is what got me into them.
I knew of them during the 80s thanks to Kokomo and the Fat Boys song, and their big hits still got played on Radio 1.

jake thunder

As usual the new Brian Wilson album disappoints (MOR production, not quite certain that BW actual wrote much of the thing). 

However, the deluxe edition does have this excellent 1975 solo rendition of In The Back Of My Mind from the Today! album:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/76mp99

Interesting to hear, along with the California Feeling demo, BW's voice transitioning from his angelic youthful falsetto to his more limited gruff voice of later years. He could still hit those high notes perfectly... with gusto!

PaulTMA

Just got banned from Smiley Smile, which I previously thought of as the only credible BB forum, for saying that the new album is utter dogshit.   Oh well.

Agreed - it gradually morphed into a clone of the Blue Board quite a while ago.  How I miss the old Male Ego forum..... :-(

PaulTMA

Has it got something to do with Brian doing a couple of Q&As on the board and now they are desperate to stamp out any kind of criticism?  Seems like positively delusional behaviour.  Hope the critics rip the album to shreads.

Nowhere Man

I really wish Brian would seek out a different producer, Joe Thomas's style is almost always godawful.

jake thunder

Steve Desper (Beach Boys engineer 1967 - most of the 1970s) just posted a video:

http://www.swdstudyvideos.com/

RECORDING THE BEACH BOYS – Part One

NOW available for review at my website. This latest Study-Video joins six other Study-Videos that explore the sound production techniques I used in the making of Beach Boy music. These studies also include examples of my favorite mastering techniques applied to finished works of other engineers. I believe you will find each one clarifies the music and expands its presentation in the stereo panorama.

Full post:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20342.0.html

It's amazing. Full never before heard vintage surround-sound mixes (decoded stereo matrix thing) of the whole Sunflower album, plus extra alternate mixes, plus descriptions of each recording, plus a full needle drop of Desper's vinyl copy played back on well expensive equipment. Incredible stuff.

Nowhere Man

I was listening to my original 62' mono of Surfin' Safari to start the day, shame that the album kinda sucks but theres something absolutely lovely about original Beach Boys vinyl. Plus Chug-a-Lug fuckin ROCKS

Anyone else got any Beach Boys vinyl?

SteveDave

I found a mono version of Pet Sounds in a charity shop in Barnet for 99p & flogged it for £50.

I've also got a fake stereo version of it from a charity shop in Southgate that still has its shrink wrap on it (apart from the side that opens) but the record looks like it's been used as an ice rink.

"Chug-A-Lug" is a naked assessment of each member of "The Beach Boys " and their buddies at this point in time. "Gary like's a girl's tight black pants". This was 1962! How did such a filthy sentiment get past the censors? Brian Wilson and his sometimes collaborator Gary Usher were pushing the social envelope, as much as The Beatles would years later with the phrase, "I'd love to turn you on ". Each Beach Boy represents a different depiction of troubled youth. Carl Wilson's unhealthy obsession with food is explored, as is Mike Love's constant need for alcohol to help him deal with the reality of fatherhood as he continuously finds himself knocking-up random teen girls. A generation lost in space, all described perfectly within the confines of a two-minute pop song.

jake thunder

I've got all the good ones - Surfer Girl to Light Album. Plus Pacific Ocean Blue.

If you can find an original copy of Carl and Passions, get it. It includes the best pressing of Pet Sounds which I think used the original LA master tapes which have since been lost.

The standard CD masterings of The Beach Boys range from ok to shit, so the records sound great in comparison.

Also, get onto that Steve Desper link: http://www.swdstudyvideos.com/

He's uploaded his needle drop of Sunflower - the best version you'll ever hear for christ's sake.

Nowhere Man

I feel like Christmas has come early, i've just re-discovered my original copy of Friends on Vinyl that i've been missing for ages! It may be 4am but this moment has made me so happy I did a little jig.

Edit: It still sounds really good too.

Subtle Mocking

Just woke up to Mike Love dying his way through California Girls on Good Morning Britain. Eurgh.

Friends is a wonderful album.

lazyhour

Yeah, Friends is one of my favourites. Wish the album contained a longer edit of Made For You, though.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: lazyhour on June 01, 2015, 02:27:26 PM
Yeah, Friends is one of my favourites. Wish the album contained a longer edit of Made For You, though.

They released a longer version of Meant for You on the recent(ish) Made In California box set, its pretty interesting to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwUMkUBveEg

Here's a recent interview with Mike Love who claims to have not yet seen Love and Mercy, acts in his usual condescending and backhanded way and also finds the time to give some sympathy to Eugene Landy, what a scumbag.

http://bedfordandbowery.com/2015/06/mike-love-of-beach-boys-on-love-mercy-poor-brian-hes-had-a-rough-rough-time/

"The interesting thing to read is on Evan Landy. He is Landy's son and spent years with Brian in a very intimate way. He has a whole different perspective of Landy and his motivation. Was he [Dr. Landy] overreaching? Probably. Did he cost a lot of money? Hell yeah. Did he want to be producer and the writer and stuff with Brian? Yes, he did. Did he go beyond the bounds of therapy? Probably. But, guess what? He also saved his life. So to read Evan Landy's dissertation on it is very, very interesting because you get an intimate look at someone who was with Brian everyday for a few years. So it's a whole different story that came out on Love and Mercy."

jake thunder

If any of you are on the Smiley Smile message board, head on over there, watch Steve Despers new study video and tell him how much you enjoyed it.

He's threatening to stop working on them if he doesn't get any recognition - which is fair enough.

He was planning on doing Surf's Up next as well as more unreleased stuff. He's already uploaded stuff that hasn't been released anywhere before, but the buffoons on Smiley Smile would rather discuss Beach Boys breakfast cereals than anything worthwhile.

jenna appleseed

Dipped in last week and he seemed more interested in sharing "politically incorrect" Beach Boy right wing parody videos about 'illegal immigrants.' smh http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22757.0.html

Not that his study videos don't deserve recognition/ encouragement, just....

jake thunder

Fuck off mate. He's an old man. It's the The Beach Boys.