Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

i accosted a celebrity today....

Started by mayer, September 15, 2004, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyg27

By all means do not think that because you have an iPod I consider you a cunt. It's just me being bitter about being poor. I was just mentioning the TO article cos it was surprisingly related to the course this thread was taking.

I can get annoyed with the conspicious declaration of a superior financial state that an iPod tends to make, but then this is more to do with my own insecurity than anything else.

What was this thread about again?

Almost Yearly

I imagine Morris is on some bulletin board going, "I met mayer! I met mayer!"

You int sin me roit.

mayer

hah... i wish i'd asked him what he was using to listen to tunes now (but i already looked enough like a nerdy fanboy for Chris(t)'s sake)....

like i said the headphones were big chunky non-iPod ones... the clothes were scruffy, the hair a non-Hoxtonite mess, the place was Berwick Street, not Shoreditch and he was pleasant and polite, despite my gibbering.

Abbie

Quote from: "Rats"What makes me laugh is that mangoliver has an ipod and I have a 128mb 50 quid job. He's too scared to take it anywhere so there's us both on the train, me sitting back reading my book and enjoying the chowns how, and him having to read a copy of nuts with abby titmuss on the cover.
I noticed the white headphones thing too, very clever.

Yeah...must be great listening to those 2 songs over and over again, you turd.

Tim's got an ipod, but I can never use it because he won't clear any space for my songs.  He's got at least five versions of Lou Bega's 'Mambo Number Five'   on there as well, the git.

Well done for conversing with Morris, Mayer.  The best I can offer is sharing a jacuzzi with Nelly Boswell.

Rats

Well, it's better than neeeee songs, you colostomy avalanche.
I would never pay over 50 quid for something portable/muggable and I'd change the mugger-honey headphones straight away. Forgive me, but you two do seem like a couple of slices with all the latest gadgets, what's missing in your life? You've got a kid, and a dog, where is the love? Where is the luuuuurv? Is it behind the frrrrridge?

TJ

Everything about this thread confuses me.

MonkeyDrummer

All I know is that I'm going to buy a pair of white headphones for my Walkman.

terminallyrelaxed

TR's Generic Eubanks Anecdote:
Many years ago, in the hey-day of mobile phones the size of a housebrick (that only had one line), my friends and I spied Chris Eubanks sat on Brighton seafront, chatting away into one of the grey plastic behemoths - then it rang.

I don't have an mp3 player, but with my imminent reduced-cost-of-living situation, I shall probably get one by christmas - and it'll be an iPod, and I don't care what anyone thinks about that.

Neil

If you're skint though, then why go for the most expensive option?  I got one of these for my birthday and it's the business, at a fraction of the cost.  Plus it just seems more useful given the way I use the internet.  Doesn't everyone else burn their mp3s to cd's to back them up and make room for more?

Ah, you've got a dirty mac though, yeah?

terminallyrelaxed

I have, a big greasy oil-stained one with holes cut in the pockets... but yes thats the main reason; it'll be totally compatible with my G4 whereas a few of the more 'economic' ones aren't - I also only want a 20Gb one (I've been frantically loading my Cds onto the Mac and I've still only got 8.6Gb of tunes) and then I can also store Mac software and full OS Images on it. The size and dimensions are a big thing for me too, don't like the iRiver for example.
I'm glad its taking me this long though, the newer ones are much improved in many ways from the first few models...

Lewis

Must say I agree with Neil, I got a similar mp3 CD player a few weeks ago - not too flashy but for £29.99 I'm not complaining. I have most of my mp3's burnt onto CD anyway so it saves me the hassle of uploading songs. Plus my flat mate has an ipod and always has it on view, the flash twat. I, however, have £200 more than him. heh.

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Neil"Doesn't everyone else burn their mp3s to cd's to back them up and make room for more?

Not personally, I don't download a lot of music (feckin' RIAA) in fact 90% of what I have downloaded is from 'Song Du Jour'. I also recently bought a 120Gb hard drive so not running out of space any time soon (I do download the odd movie and tend to delete afterwards or occasionally burn them to DVD). I gather also that you probably listen to a lot more music than me - the iPod is a treat I'm going to give myself to make commuting more pleasant.
I know you can fit squillions of mp3s on a cd, but I never really liked carrying a cd walkman around, and part of the reason I gave up on walkmans is I always dithered about what to take with me for the commute in the morning, and often as not ended up taking the same tape of minidisc all the time - now with an iPod I can take it all with me (and probably still listen to the same tunes anyway).

Jemble Fred

Are these new 'two subjects in one thread' threads all the rage? If so, I'm off to start one called 'What's Your Favourite Sandwich/ Contemporary Attitudes To Nazism'.

terminallyrelaxed

For the record, Corned Beef and Tomato (straight from the fridge mind)  with English mustard on white, or cold Roast Chicken, Lettuce and salt and pepper on wholemeal.
Oh, and a Dim View.

Rats

Yeah, I've got lots of space, I delete films after I've watched them unless I think I'll watch them again. I don't download that much music. The only cd's I burn are for other people really. So an mp3 cd player would be no good to me. I would like an ipod but like I say, I'd be scared to take it anywhere.

TJ

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Are these new 'two subjects in one thread' threads all the rage? If so, I'm off to start one called 'What's Your Favourite Sandwich/ Contemporary Attitudes To Nazism'.

I'm in favour of 'Cunting Bastard Fuckwit Shop Assistants/Best Sketch From Fry And Laurie To Appear In Fry And Laurie', as a nice attempt at building bridges between General Discussion and Comedy Chat.

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "Neil"If you're skint though, then why go for the most expensive option?  I got one of these for my birthday and it's the business, at a fraction of the cost.  Plus it just seems more useful given the way I use the internet.  Doesn't everyone else burn their mp3s to cd's to back them up and make room for more?

Ah, you've got a dirty mac though, yeah?

I bought a MP3 CD player about 4 years ago when they first came out., within a few months I'd sold it. For me, It's too big for a start, (a limitation placed on it by the media) plus, I always change my mind about what to listen to so I really need my entire collection with me.

mayer

i had a really cheap rubbish mp3 CD player. it was rubbish and jumpy and cut seconds off.

i have a 256mb Flash mp3 player now (about £40 new off ebay, lots about).

it's fantastic for the bus.

advice though... if you're going to be megabussing to London and back, and you stick some Bjork on first thing in the morning... remember to grab your headphones on the way out, otherwise you end up just lugging about a posh looking flash drive.

VegaLA

Neil

Ah, see I'd never get enough space to house my complete collection, so bringing bits of it with me is much handier.  Plus, if I did have everything, I'd probably just gravitate to my favourites, so it's nice to bring out a CD full of mp3s that I wouldn't get a chance to listen to in the house.  This week my walks have been accompanied by the sound of Alan Parker and a Stewart Lee Resonance FM show, which is great actually, especially when Richard Herring drops in.  I don't find this too big either, it's barely bigger than a CD and fits nicely in my pocket.  Being able to recharge it is great as well, I was agog when I realised I just plugged it into the wall with the supplied mains lead and hit a button to charge the batteries, I was sure I'd have to buy some seperate doobry.

gazzyk1ns

All this talk of CD players and recharging batteries reminds me of something I was thinking about aaages ago - a CD player which included a tiny dynamo/alternator which charged the batteries whenever the CD mechanism was spinning. A bit like how the battery is permanently charged in a car, so it only has to be replaced once every few years, if that. Can any physics/mechanical-minded person tell me if it's an impossible/impractical idea? Is it even possible to drain and charge AA-type batteries at the same time? You can do that with both Ni-Mh and Li-Ion batteries in phones, so maybe it's possible in a CD player?

Purple Tentacle

What would power the spinning of the mechanism?

Another battery?  Before long both batteries would be dead, as anything less than impossible 100% effeciency would lead to them both slowly dying.

A car battery is kept charged because you put petrol in the car.

F-

gazzyk1ns

No well my thinking was that a dynamo powers a bicycle's lights, getting its energy from motion (i.e. the spinning of the wheels). I thought a similar apparatus could be implemented in a CD player, the motion comes from the existing spinning mechanism, and the generated power goes to the batteries. That's why I was asking if it was possible to drain and charge one set of batteries at the same time. I think it is, because if you plug your phone in to charge it, and use it at the same time, it can still run out, meaning that the power is still coming from the battery - even though it's being charged.

I know you put petrol in a car but the energy for the battery charge still comes from motion, doesn't it? i.e. a belt from the engine turning the alternator, which charges the battery.

I know my idea is a bit tenuous but my thinking was that surely someone with more brains than me can harness some of the existing expended energy from the spinning mechanism to charge the batteries, or at least "lessen their drain".

fanny splendid

How about mini versions of those 'duck' generators that work with waves in water, but in this instance they are placed in urinals. The electricity generated then goes to a charger on the wall next to the soap dispenser that holds batteries for exchange. You bring your dead ones, have a piss, and take away charged ones.

Or how about mini windmills worn on the forehead overnight? As you breathe out while you are asleep, the windmill spins and a charge is generated. Particularly good for heavy snorers.  

Photo-sensitive cell lined pants, for the collection of the light that shines out of your arse?

Gazeuse

Quote from: "fanny splendid"You bring your dead ones, have a piss, and take away charged ones.

That would be deeply unfair to men with prostate problems.

TraceyQ

Ah, see, one of my biggest worries about my now-on-order ipod mini has been addressed in this thread. MrQ had said he wasnt keen on me having one because of the white earphone thingys, meaning I'm likely to get mugged (again) for it while out and about, but shirley your average theiving Chav around Brum wouldnt know an ipod from a kick in his trakkie bottom clad balls?

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Gazeuse"
Quote from: "fanny splendid"You bring your dead ones, have a piss, and take away charged ones.

That would be deeply unfair to men with prostate problems.

Actually, the system is trust based, so your straining man would get his for nothing! Although all that straining and blowing could be harnessed using the night windmills?

Neil

You should photoshop those fanny, it'd be like that Brooker site, only funny.  Do iPods white headphones not have a remote control on them then, gloat gloat?

Mister Six

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I know you put petrol in a car but the energy for the battery charge still comes from motion, doesn't it? i.e. a belt from the engine turning the alternator, which charges the battery..

Edit: I misunderstood. Gah!

TraceyQ

As far as I know, neither the minis or 4G ipods have remote controls, no. Wipe that grin off your face, Neil.