Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sega circle the plughole

Started by Beagle 2, January 30, 2015, 02:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-30-sega-to-offer-300-voluntary-retirement-as-part-of-focus-on-smartphone-and-pc-online-gaming

Sounds pretty ominous. I've never had any affection for them to be honest. I had a Dreamcast and it was great, but I thought all their other consoles were a bit nasty. How many decent games have they actually produced since they stopped producing hardware? Would it be much of a loss?

Consignia

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 30, 2015, 02:33:19 PM
How many decent games have they actually produced since they stopped producing hardware? Would it be much of a loss?

I've quite liked the Valkyria, Yakuza and Hatsune Miku game series they've produced. I guess the problem is they are all pretty niche, especially the latter.

I think any loss of diversity is a bad thing. You may not care for Sega's output, but they produce games that aren't likely to have replacements. Although loosing latter day Sonic would be no bad thing.

lazarou

How many decent games have they actually produced since they stopped producing hardware? Would it be much of a loss?
Their semi-secret weapon is undoubtedly the Sheffield-based Sumo Digital, who have been flying the "proper SEGA" old-school blue skies forever flag seemingly single-handedly for some time now. Responsible for home versions of OutRun 2, along with Virtua Tennis and the tremendous Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing beside the occasional minor gem like New International Track & Field. One of the only parts of the company left that still cares about how things used to be, I'm sure they'd soldier on afterwards but it wouldn't be the same.

Time and the shifting gaming landscape hasn't done them many favours. Even aside from niche games like Valkyria Chronicles, there was a time when a new OutRun would be The banner game on every system it came out on, but that time is long gone.

Really wish they'd brought out the new PSO over here.

syntaxerror

Sega used to make quality arcade games, many of which were successfully ported to a variety of systems. OutRun, Afterburner, Space Harrier, Sonic, Shenmue, Crazy Taxy, Silent Scope, Golden Axe, Fantasy Star, Sega Rally..Hmm

Spiral King

I like how you could have made this thread's title between 2002 and today, and it still would have been relevant and correct. Their demise has been a long time coming, and as someone who loved their arcade and hardware output, I hope it's swift and relatively soon.

Garam

Gutted. Always wanted a next gen Jet Set Radio.

syntaxerror

Gah, I went back and replayed JSRF a while ago, after being amazed that my old xbox copy still worked on my 360, so long as I bumped down the display settings first. I loved that game at the time but felt that it some parts of it hadn't held up as well as others. It still has great visuals and music and the controls are pretty tight, but my god, the camera is shocking; too many blind leaps of faith, annoying pixel perfect jumping, dreadful cutscenes and the occasional lack of direction make it a frustrating game in parts. Exactly all the little niggly faults that could be ironed out in a remake or continuation of the franchise. Probably won't happen now though eh. oh well.

Hollow

Sad...but they are no way the Sega of old...they better release Outrun and Fantasy Zone on the 3DS first.

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiral King on January 30, 2015, 05:50:16 PM
I like how you could have made this thread's title between 2002 and today, and it still would have been relevant and correct. Their demise has been a long time coming, and as someone who loved their arcade and hardware output, I hope it's swift and relatively soon.

When it does, I hope most of the stuff that made them so beloved in the first pace, finds its way to new people who know what the hell they're doing. Sonic especially. Every time it seems like they're onto something, they decide to abandon it for stuff no one wanted or asked for. I can't even bear to look at Sonic Boom.

Sega were a big part of my youth, having owned a Megadrive for much of the 90's, and being a relatively early adopter of the Dreamcast. I'd genuinely shed a tear when they go.

Spiral King

Quote from: Spiteface on January 31, 2015, 05:21:36 PM
When it does, I hope most of the stuff that made them so beloved in the first pace, finds its way to new people who know what the hell they're doing. Sonic especially. Every time it seems like they're onto something, they decide to abandon it for stuff no one wanted or asked for. I can't even bear to look at Sonic Boom.

A friend and I were recently discussing the possibility of Retro (of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid Prime fame) doing a classic 2D Sonic, with great art design and gameplay. I think I would genuinely herniate something if it happened.

QuoteSega were a big part of my youth, having owned a Megadrive for much of the 90's, and being a relatively early adopter of the Dreamcast. I'd genuinely shed a tear when they go.

Same. Sega really pushed me into video games, and it was distressing to watch them give up all the fight in them after pushing out the last of their "clearly for Dreamcast before it was discontinued" Xbox games.

popcorn

At this point it wouldn't be a loss at all; they've been a terrible company for a decade now. It is sad, though, because during the Golden Era (Saturn and Dreamcast) Sega made a series of increasingly terrible business decisions and ended up producing some of the maddest, loveliest games the world ever saw. Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon Saga, these games are in my bones, man. Of course the whole thing was really the pet project of some insane Japanese billionaire and when he died it was only a matter of time.

I will take this opportunity to plug my band's cover of Magical Girl from the Jet Set Radio soundtrack: https://soundcloud.com/foamband/magical-girl-guitar-vader