Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:38:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Amazon echo - this is the future

Started by biggytitbo, January 31, 2015, 03:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazarou

Quote from: BPFHAY on February 03, 2015, 06:46:19 PMVoice control is simply a convenience. It doesn't give you access to things you couldn't get to before.
For a lot of things, voice interfaces aren't even that. Most people can't be arsed sitting through the dialogue in a videogame without reading the subtitles in no time flat and skipping past before John Actor's got halfway through it. On a medium where text can be displayed and processed near-instantly, it's by far the most efficient and accurate method of imparting information. Chatting to some cyber lady is a novelty that would soon become an irritation when people realise it takes twice as long to be half as useful at almost everything.

Best case I can see is some combination of voice input with a screen displaying the resulting information, which is what phones do already and echo would be useless for.

BPFHAY

I agree. One of my pet peeves is information presented in video form when it just isn't necessary. I'm a fast reader, I can read as fast as I can see. I don't want to have to listen to somebody slowly tell me how to do menial things.

olliebean

I don't mind information being available in video form for those who prefer it, but the infuriating thing is when that's the only option, and those of us who prefer reading the information are forced to watch a damn video instead. Even if I did prefer it in that form, it's not always convenient to watch and listen, rather than just read. I spend way too much time emailing links to videos to myself to watch when it's convenient to do so, when I'd sooner just read something and have done with it.

Replies From View

Quote from: syntaxerror on February 03, 2015, 09:11:46 PM
This is basically the only time I use Siri. I go to bed, then tell it to set an alarm and go to sleep. If I'm awake in bed I'll ask it the time, but this only works because I sleep in a racing car on my own and not in a big bed with my wife.

Surely by the time you've pressed to open Siri you will have already seen the time on the lock screen?

mook

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 03, 2015, 06:30:44 PM
The radio?! What possible use could that be! I'll never use it thats for sure!

does it actually do that?

could i for example say "oi bumface (i'm guessing you can name it what you want) play radio 4extra - the navy lark." and the bugger actually does it.

does it do dat doe?

do it?

biggytitbo

It can do that spinning on its cock.

mook

nah, so you say! - it's a rubbish device that's never even heard of the navy lark. it wouldn't know it's admiral burwasher from it's pertwee.

Pit-Pat

My favourite bit in the video is when his son asks him how to spell cantaloupe and he can't remember and has to ask Echo. It's so unselfaware in its statement about "Why even bother knowing basic information? Echo will replace your memory and take away your ability to do basic things!"

I had to stop watching after that because my girlfriend angrily asked "Why the fuck are you watching that?" and I didn't have a good answer.

syntaxerror

Quote from: Replies From View on February 03, 2015, 11:58:35 PM
Surely by the time you've pressed to open Siri you will have already seen the time on the lock screen?

Nope, my phone charges on the other side of a the room where i sleep. When itis charging you can use the Siri robot computer without having to press the home button, you prick.

BPFHAY

Quote from: Pit-Pat on February 04, 2015, 10:51:43 AM
I had to stop watching after that because my girlfriend angrily asked "Why the fuck are you watching that?" and I didn't have a good answer.
You should have said "you actually don't have to yell at me, okay?"

Replies From View

Quote from: syntaxerror on February 04, 2015, 06:16:06 PM
Nope, my phone charges the other side of the room.

Why does an entire half of your room need charging?

There's something wrong with you, son.

syntaxerror

Replies From View

I bet you sound like a right knob talking across the room to Siri.

George Oscar Bluth II

Yes, we already have voice control on things and no fucker really uses it so...

Plus I'm not letting any of these monstrous corporations LISTEN TO EVERYTHING BEING SAID IN MY HOUSE AT ALL TIMES. Christ.

biggytitbo

The best thing about this thread is the prospect of Adam Buxton reading it out in his confused foreigner voice in 2025, when this is a natural part of everybodies life and he critisms in here will sound like that bloke who said there would only ever be demand for 6 computers in the whole world.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 05, 2015, 07:11:39 AM
The best thing about this thread is the prospect of Adam Buxton reading it out in his confused foreigner voice in 2025, when this is a natural part of everybodies life and he critisms in here will sound like that bloke who said there would only ever be demand for 6 computers in the whole world.

You're sounding like a presenter from a horribly dated episode of Tomorrow's World.

VHS cassettes will be THREE FEET LONG in the future because they'll be able to record A WHOLE DAY'S WORTH of television.

And don't forget those meals in pill form!  Coming soon to a future that will mock the past for thinking it wouldn't happen.

biggytitbo

The Internet!? It's just another way for the government to spy on us. What possible use could it be for me anyway?

Consignia

Sinclair C5? It's the future, everyone will be using them. You'll be asking Alexa to eat your hat in ten years time when no one walks and moving around in style in a C5.

chand

MiniDiscs! Keep an eye out for these bad boys! Smaller than a floppy disk, more compact than a compact disc, this hot replacement for DAT is going to absolutely fucking OWN the 90s. We're all going to be using them for all our listening-to-Reef needs from now until the end of time!

Pit-Pat

Quote from: BPFHAY on February 04, 2015, 06:24:50 PM
You should have said "you actually don't have to yell at me, okay?"

Darn, L'esprit de l'escalier strikes again!

Squink

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 05, 2015, 07:11:39 AMhe critisms in here will sound like that bloke who said there would only ever be demand for 6 computers in the whole world.

he critisms was banned years ago mate. Went out with the last clique purge.

lazarou

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 05, 2015, 07:11:39 AM
I think we missed the part where you explained what this could do that would be faster, more efficient, or better in any notable way than what we're doing already. "It's like the Star Trek computer" but the Star Trek computer barely functions usefully in a fictional sci-fi show, even they spend most of their time at consoles for any actual work. You might as well say it's like a magic mirror.

biggytitbo

Quote from: lazarou on February 05, 2015, 07:17:37 PM
I think we missed the part where you explained what this could do that would be faster, more efficient, or better in any notable way than what we're doing already. "It's like the Star Trek computer" but the Star Trek computer barely functions usefully in a fictional sci-fi show, even they spend most of their time at consoles for any actual work. You might as well say it's like a magic mirror.

Well unless you've had an imagination bypass, there's quite a few I can think of off the top of my head:

- control heating, lighting, and other home automation
- control tv, radio, hi-fi, ask it to play a song, record a show, change channels, pause, play etc etc
- Do the siri like things such as taking notes, setting alarms
- Searches, queries, facts

And just like apps, peoples boundless imaginations will come up with a 1001 other uses for it. Whatever you anachronistic oafs think, this will happen and be an integral part of our lives.
- dial and make hands free calls

BPFHAY

Literally all of that is already available and no-one cares.

Alberon

It does sound like the audio version of the touch-centric system that made Windows 8 such a massive success.

And letting it make purchases based on what you say is asking for trouble. Will it know or be able to ignore not to accept purchase instructions from your five year old kid?

George Oscar Bluth II

*Runs into biggy's house*
COMPUTER! BUY TWENTY GIGANTIC DILDOS!
*Runs out again*

mook

Quote from: BPFHAY on February 05, 2015, 09:30:19 PM

perhaps the only thing in biggy "THE ORACLE OF FUTURETECH1!!1" titbo's list that i'd find a use for it to control the lighting - and that is fucking pushing it.

as for heating we already have thermostats and timers, if i wanted to have a conversation with a boiler i'd just go and see your mum SON!

biggytitbo

Quote from: BPFHAY on February 05, 2015, 09:30:19 PM

What stats do you have that 'nobody uses them' ?

Replies From View

Perhaps all of this will make it possible for people who need carers to no longer need carers.  These computers without buttons will be able to get food from the shops to the oven and then carried by mechanical Wallace and Gromit hands on rod arms to the immobile person who's lying in bed.  Straight into their mouths, and then a bit later some other voice commands will deal with the toilet duties, again with the person not needing to even get out of bed.

The only problem is that not everyone can speak.  But fuck 'em.

Blumf

Japan's waaay ahead of you, but the problem is, all they seem to do is kidnap cute women:

(fortunately, they can still be fobbed off with real dolls)