Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:24:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MS-DOS software library (FREE GAMES!)

Started by Cerys, February 07, 2015, 03:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Mister Six

Ooh, 'Cuntlet'.

(Thanks, Cerys - some really great games in there.)

Cerys

I've just been playing Elite for the first time in over twenty years.  I didn't last long.

biggytitbo

Amazing that they got that to work so seamlessly in the browser. Without flash too, uses canvas.

syntaxerror

I always get mildly excited when I see things like this, then they're usually buggy and slow and the sound/controls never work properly, and why I don't I just use emulators. Still, its a neat find.

biggytitbo

Ive tried several things so far and they all seem to work ok. They don't give you any information on controls or how to play any of the games though.

lazarou

This is a lovely thing. With stuff like this and publishers finally coming round to realising there was a real interest in re-releasing vintage games (as well as digital platforms like GOG on which to sell them), games are finally growing a bit of a longer tail. It's funny to think less than ten years ago we were grubbing around for this stuff on Home of the Underdogs and sketchy Abandonware sites.

Cerys

Quote from: syntaxerror on February 07, 2015, 06:22:54 PM
I always get mildly excited when I see things like this, then they're usually buggy and slow and the sound/controls never work properly, and why I don't I just use emulators. Still, its a neat find.

QuotePlease be aware this browser-based emulation is still in beta

Fingers crossed the bugginess gets sorted.

garbed_attic

I've thought of a vaguely fun thing we could do on this thread in lieu of a continued #1000 best games. We suggest a game for the next person to review. They provide a brief review (a few sentences if they want) and suggest another game on the site for the next person to review and so on.

So, to start at the top: Oregon Trail

Not quite as punishingly hard as its reputation would suggest, though surviving the Winter months without freezing to death while riddled with dysentery is something of a challenge. It's basically a resources management edutainment title about the 19th century Oregon trail of settlers moving from West to East in hope of a better future. Internal speaker versions of MIDI-fied American standards abound and for a children's game the experience is bracing bleak!

Next person to review: Disney's Aladdin

Cerys

I like this idea, but I'm buggered if I'd going to play Disney's Aladdin right now.

Old Nehamkin

Replies From View

Lemmings 2!!

Even now that title sounds deeply exotic to me.  I saw screencaps of it, and maybe a few seconds of gameplay on something like Bad Influence.  Never, ever have I had the chance to play it with my own hands.

Can I be arsed is the big fat question.

BPFHAY

I always hated Lemmings 2. Having a bunch of new abilities just ruins the game, they're so disparate.

Consignia

Replies From View

This "4D Prince of Persia" looks intriguing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Enough to keep a strategy/management game buff sorted for the next several years.

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Universal_Military_Simulator_The_1993 This looks somewhere between fascinating and psychotic.

Eat your heart out Public Toilet Simulator and the like:
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Car_Builder_1982
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Carrier_Command_1989

Can't recommend this one highly enough for fans of dystopia/political intrigue/crime solving- a bona fide classic:
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Floor_13_1992

Something to piss madhair off:
https://archive.org/details/msdos_SimFarm_1993

Something for BlodwynPig:
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Toad_1995

lazarou

Quote from: BPFHAY on February 09, 2015, 05:53:21 PM
I always hated Lemmings 2. Having a bunch of new abilities just ruins the game, they're so disparate.
I'd agree there. The original Lemmings is more or less a perfect design, they needed little more than Oh No! More Oh No! More Lemmings but y'know, gamers get pissy about that. It's like those PD tetris games that used to shit everything up by throwing more blocks in.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Replies From View

Ah, Bip Bop 2, those were the days.

No archived version of the first Bip Bop, though, which leads me to continue to suspect that there never was one, or it has been deliberately buried.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Cerys on February 09, 2015, 05:30:07 PM
I like this idea, but I'm buggered if I'd going to play Disney's Aladdin right now.

Aw I don't expect you to get through the Genie's cave level or anything! Just swing your sabre at a few spitting camels amongst some goofy racist stereotypes, write up a couples of sentences, make the next suggestion and call it a day!

Replies From View

Review of '4D Prince of Persia'

I can confirm that '4D Prince of Persia' is a treat.  It's the original PC version of Prince of Persia but expanded slightly (back when the game was first made, not recently) to make it more difficult.  I've played it for level 1 and part of level 2, and it took me right back to the early 90s when I didn't know where any of the corridors led, and I didn't anticipate where all the spikes and falls were.  While I can't play the original 'Prince of Persia' anymore without it feeling too familiar, the '4D' version is worth checking out both for nostalgia and the experience of "lost levels".

Now somebody do the fucking Disney's Aladdin.  If you don't I will get someone to crack open the rape jokes.  Cheers.

Cerys

I'm trying to get the damn thing to work.

Edit - maybe it's my browser.  I'll switch and see what happens.

Cerys

Well, it's laggy as all hell - but if you can get past that it's a mad dash through the market, across burning coals which inexplicably have levitating apples hanging above them, just begging you to leap over the scorchy deathness to catch them.  Quite what you do once you've got them I'm not sure, but I suspect you're supposed to get Aladdin to hurl them at his adversaries.  Once past a metric shedload of foot-toasting coals, and wondering why our perky little rapscallion doesn't just walk around them, we're into a lovely bit of rope-climbing, interspersed with the collection of Robin Williams Genie heads, which I find very insensitive, what with the rope motif.  Jafar has just appeared on my screen suggesting that I give up.  He may be on to something.  Every time I let myself get too roasted (or sliced by a medley of comedy scimitar lobbing cunts) I have to suffer the indignity of being fanned by a rug-wielding monkey.

garbed_attic

This seems like a good review. Fair, but fair.

Have you got one to play next?

Cerys

Oops, good point.  The next reviewer gets ... Budokan The Martial Spirit!

biggytitbo

I sometimes feel my relentless pursuit of old computer games (and my appetite for it never seems to wane) is actually a proxy for some deep seated emotional problem, my inability to leave the past or reconcile it. Or just my unwillingness to cope with or accept the present.

I will still spend an entire evening trying to pointlessly replay a spectrum game i watched my cousin play in 1983, or find an obscure megadrive game i rented from the video shop in 1991.

WHY?!??! Whats wrong with me? Why can't i leave this stupid old silicon behind?

I know I'm goin to struggle with this MSDOS shit for hours because I remember struggling with the MSDOS shit for hours back in 1999 and it somehow comforts me to do so again.

Sigh. I dont know why though.

garbed_attic

Does that mean you want to review Budokan The Martial Spirit, Biggy?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Alter_Ego_Male_1986

Along with Floor 13, this is another must play. Not sure if the female version is knocking around too.