Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kim Noble - You're Not Alone

Started by Leo2112, February 08, 2015, 05:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quisby

Actually the thanks should go to Small Man Big Horse, who posted in another thread about subreddits for musicals. I fell down a rabbit hole of pro-shots and bootlegs, and battles between the "masters" who surreptitiously shoot musicals and release them online to private groups, and the more militant provisional wing who post them up on youtube.

Not sure what the Kim Noble link was doing amongst links and requests for things like Legally Blonde (original Broadway cast) and Rocky Horror Picture Show (North Korean revival 1983).

Here's the link in case, like me, you are interested enough to watch Spanish versions of Sondheim shows.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProshotMusicals/

cakeinmilk

Thank you!

What was his show that ended with
Spoiler alert
him aloft with wings and his partner(?) singing Sweet Child Of Mine in reference to a miscarriage she'd had
[close]
?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Quisby on May 10, 2020, 02:40:59 AM
I remember reading this thread at the time and thinking there's something which I will never get the chance to see. But here it is: https://vimeo.com/415165345

This has been removed now sadly but I grabbed it before it disappeared, so if anyone wants a copy just pm me and I'll send you a link.

banana

Did anyone rip it please?
The links dead now.
Boring.
Sounds exciting.

olliebean

I'm afraid I couldn't make it through this. Noble comes across as an utterly charmless dick, and the incessant background music made me feel like I was in a pub with an annoyingly loud jukebox and the pub nutter had gatecrashed my table and wouldn't shut up.

Fucking obnoxious borderline abusive audience participation, too, which is a bête noire of mine. Really glad I didn't see this live.

Lost Oliver

Famous Mortimer

I love his stuff, big fan of "Get Off Me!" and saw him and Silver live at the Soho Theatre a few years ago. Well, more than a few. I'd not heard of this, so thanks.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Lost Oliver on August 19, 2020, 09:45:39 PM
He's got a podcast oot https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/aug/17/kim-noble-futile-attempts-at-surviving-tomorrow-review-twisted-and-tender#_=_

Have heard the first three episodes and loved them. Saving the rest.

Thanks will check them out. Just read back my post about this from three years ago and think I sound like a complete twat. Cringe as fuck. Hopefully he appreciates the fact that I now feel like a stupid cunt.

Small Man Big Horse

I listened to and enjoyed the first one an awful lot, it's an odd mix of searing honesty and silliness (him giving out his phone number and the fourth wall breaking with Julian Barratt fell in to that category at least), though I thought the end bit with the meccano was a little too repetitious. Otherwise it was fantastic though, and for once it's a podcast I plan to listen to all of.

privatefriend

Quote from: debord on May 16, 2020, 04:35:46 PM
Did anyone rip it please?
The links dead now.
Boring.
Sounds exciting.

Seconded Sorted, thanks!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: privatefriend on August 20, 2020, 04:06:32 PM
Seconded

Just sent you the link now, and if anyone else wants it just pm me.

prwc

I was mightily impressed by You're Not Alone (even if I couldn't defend some of the stunts in it) so I'm very glad some new material has shown up from him finally. Especially since Kim Noble Will Die sadly doesn't seem to be available aside from this short clip.

I've really enjoyed the first 3 episodes of the podcast, trying to pace myself and not listen to the rest too quickly.

It seems he has a new live show too although who knows if it'll ever make it to the UK.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: prwc on August 20, 2020, 07:21:48 PM
I was mightily impressed by You're Not Alone (even if I couldn't defend some of the stunts in it) so I'm very glad some new material has shown up from him finally. Especially since Kim Noble Will Die sadly doesn't seem to be available aside from this short clip.

I've really enjoyed the first 3 episodes of the podcast, trying to pace myself and not listen to the rest too quickly.

It seems he has a new live show too although who knows if it'll ever make it to the UK.

That's good to hear re: the new live show, guess we just have to hope the Soho Theatre / similar venues won't stay closed for too much longer and he performs it then.

prwc

I finished the podcast on Spotify and it's fucking brilliant. As usual with him there's some ethically dubious stuff (though less so than his live shows) but he captures a bleakly funny, detached mindset that I imagine many people can at least somewhat relate to currently so well. I suppose the obvious point of comparison is Blue Jam due to the depressive nature and ambient musical backing but I can't think of anyone else doing work quite like this.

andy33

Quote from: prwc on September 14, 2020, 09:35:33 PM
I finished the podcast on Spotify and it's fucking brilliant. As usual with him there's some ethically dubious stuff (though less so than his live shows) but he captures a bleakly funny, detached mindset that I imagine many people can at least somewhat relate to currently so well. I suppose the obvious point of comparison is Blue Jam due to the depressive nature and ambient musical backing but I can't think of anyone else doing work quite like this.

I agree. I'm not all the way through yet but am finding it truly excellent. I always begin thinking, "Is he really doing this?"
Spoiler alert
taking that bath in the treadmill guy's house
[close]
but he obviously genuinely is, and it's mad.

prwc

He's on the latest Comedian's Comedian podcast and it's a great listen. I'd never heard him do any sort of in depth interview before so it was nice to get some insight outside of the work itself.