Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:25:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which version of 'Hurt' do you prefer?

Started by up_the_hampipe, February 08, 2015, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which version of 'Hurt' do you prefer?

Nine Inch Nails
8 (36.4%)
Johnny Cash
13 (59.1%)
Leona Lewis
0 (0%)
None of them, it's a shit song
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

up_the_hampipe

So I was going through Reddit yesterday and someone posted about Trent Reznor's reaction to Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt', saying this:

Reznor said he was "flattered" but worried that "the idea sounded a bit gimmicky." He became a fan of Cash's version, however, once he saw the music video.

"I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure."

Cash's version is largely considered better than the original, from what I understood. But there was some debating in the comments so I thought it would be nice to discuss here, maybe.

I done a poll up there as well and included the Leona Lewis version I didn't know existed until today. That was met with a mixed reaction, as you'd expect.

holyzombiejesus

What about Sevendust's version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZkXiaBepQ

It's one of the most vile things I've ever heard.

Johnny Yesno

Old Thrashbarg

As a standalone song, Cash's version is far superior. A couple of slight changes to the lyrics to add more religious overtones work perfectly for the feeling he was trying to get across and the stage he was at in his life. It's a very straightforward, accessible and emotional song in his hands.

However, I can't imagine a more perfect ending to an album than the original. The bleakness and desolation coming at the end of that journey is almost tangible. It's one of the most affecting things I've ever heard.

PaulTMA

If Johnny Cash had lived another five years, he would have ended up coving Feeder's 'Buck Rogers' under the direction of Rubin

Nowhere Man

It's Johnny Mother fucking Cash. He sings the alphabet better than anyone else.

Crabwalk

Nowhere Man

Ooh thats good, I like the Stooges, swingin' the alphabet too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgmdnxtz3Bo[nb]the 3 stooges that is nyuk nyuk nyuk[/nb]