Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:18:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Xenoblade Chronicles (x)

Started by syntaxerror, February 09, 2015, 06:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syntaxerror

So I finally saw this going for a reasonable price and snapped it up, should be here in few days. Anyone played this? Does it live up to the hype? I'm looking forward to the new game in the series as I've seen a few comparisons to Phantasy Star Online and I used to love that shit. Both games look like exactly the sort of thing I'd like, but we shall see. Hope its worth the wait.

Johnny Textface

syntaxerror

Ignatius_S

Quote from: syntaxerror on February 09, 2015, 06:51:04 PM
So I finally saw this going for a reasonable price and snapped it up, should be here in few days. Anyone played this? Does it live up to the hype? I'm looking forward to the new game in the series as I've seen a few comparisons to Phantasy Star Online and I used to love that shit. Both games look like exactly the sort of thing I'd like, but we shall see. Hope its worth the wait.

How much did you pick it up for? In any case, yes and yes to your questions - it's a fantastic game. The main niggle that some have is that the side quests are rather generic - very much along the lines of 'go here, kill X number of something or bring back X amount of something', which gets compared to MMO quests. However, if you largely ignore these, you'll still get the best part of 100 hours of gameplay.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 10, 2015, 07:38:50 AM
Is this on Wii U?

Xenoblade Chronicles (the one bought) is a Wii game, which is being ported to the new Nintendo 3DS.

There's a new game coming out for the Wii U this year called Xenoblade Chronicles X.

syntaxerror

Oh no, now I'm embarassed to say, in case you go "WHAT, YOU IDIOT, YOU'VE BEEN HAD".
Spoiler alert
£30?
[close]

I don't mind a few sidequests here and there to bump up the stats or get cool shit, but a lot of RPG's do lean on them as a substitute for more meaningful content. Everything I've seen of it looks good. Can't wait.

syntaxerror

Quote from: Ignatius_S on February 10, 2015, 10:34:51 AM
Xenoblade Chronicles (the one bought) is a Wii game, which is being ported to the new Nintendo 3DS.

There's a new game coming out for the Wii U this year called Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Yes, sorry, that wasn't clear at all.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: syntaxerror on February 10, 2015, 10:38:38 AM
Oh no, now I'm embarassed to say, in case you go "WHAT, YOU IDIOT, YOU'VE BEEN HAD".
Spoiler alert
£30?
[close]

Hee, quite the reverse – I think that's about as good as you can get and it's the price that all wonderful and wise people buy it for.

Quote from: syntaxerror on February 10, 2015, 10:38:38 AM...I don't mind a few sidequests here and there to bump up the stats or get cool shit, but a lot of RPG's do lean on them as a substitute for more meaningful content. Everything I've seen of it looks good. Can't wait.

There are a few side quests – few hundred that is. Roughly speaking, I think when people haven't enjoyed the side quests it's largely because they obsessively focussed on getting everything ticked off, for the sake of completing them, rather than enjoying the journey. There's a lot to explore in the game and the side quests, I feel can encourage players to do that.

There's absolutely no need to do any of the side quests, but as well as the instant rewards, they can affect how your relationship with NPCs develops through the game and this (IIRC) does unlock conversations with them. FWIW, from what I've see, the vast majority of people who complained about the side quests, really did enjoy the main story. Also, I've seen a lot more players saying they loved that aspect.

syntaxerror

It arrived. OMG this better be good - do I play with the dub or subtitles and original dialogue? Gotta be the latter surely?

lazarou

I really like the British voice cast. They're not the greatest cast ever, but they fare well, and it lends it a certain unique charm for a JRPG. Your mileage may vary, of course.

And yeah, it's a great game. Best straight-up JRPG in years. You got it at a decent price as it can go for a lot more than that.

Consignia

Quote from: syntaxerror on February 11, 2015, 07:38:53 PM
do I play with the dub or subtitles and original dialogue? Gotta be the latter surely?

Always, always original language when available. It's less important in things like games than films, but it's still the best way to go.

It's good the option, though. I thought for years Nintendo had a policy of only allowing English language voice work in Western regions.