Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:12:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scottish bands

Started by cilamc, September 17, 2004, 12:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

More quality Teenage Fanclub covers

'He'd Be A Diamond' originally by The Bevis Frond
Not heard the original, but this song is gorgeous, the bittersweet lyrics suit Gerry Love's voice perfectly. 'When you feel like shit, he says you look beautiful/And he told me just last night/That if he had his chance again/He'd be a diamond.

'I Heard You Looking' originally by Yo La Tengo
Again, not heard the original, but this is a nicely epic guitar instrumental, as lovely as their own 'Broken'.

And as Neil says, their cover of 'Between Us' is great, especially the squeezebox in the instrumental verse.

non capisco

Just skirted the first page of the thread again, and I don't think The Delgados have been mentioned yet. 'Everything Goes Around The Water' is my favourite of theirs. The new album's picked up some fairly sniffy reviews, though.

poison popcorn

also worth a mention are the inimitable aberdonian no-wavers, sidca http://www.sidca.com/

give angel wings a whirl, it's lovely.

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"a band I head on a Peel session recently (someone played me a CD with it on).  They were definately Scottish.  Sounded very great, but I can't remember their name.

Sluts of Trust.

was the name of the band.

Rubella

Sons and Daughters are a pretty good new Scottish band.  Most of the members have either played with or been in Arab Strap at some point too.

I had to write a review of the album for a magazine.  here it is:

"Sons and Daughters
'Love the Cup'
Domino Records
www.sonsanddaughtersloveyou.co.uk

Sons and Daughters are an interesting band.  Hailing from Scotland and having just signed to the legendary Domino Records, they seem to have sprung from nowhere within the last few months.  It helps that they carry the torch of fellow Scots Franz Ferdinand's current favourite band, proved by Franz taking Sons and Daughters out on tour with them in the US in June this year.

But do they sound like Franz Ferdinand?  Thankfully, no is the answer.  Imagine, if you will, a lo-fi and crackly recording of only seven tracks.  Is it a demo? An EP?  Nope, it really is an album and one of quite enjoyable aural pleasure.

Sons and Daughters consist of four members (boy, girl; boy, girl) but really sound like there are only two of them.  A sort of reverse White Stripes, whose cacophony of noise belies the fact that they are a duo.  'Love the Cup' sounds like a rough blend of The Kills sultry vocals with the sparse melodies of PJ Harvey.  This occurs with male/female duets on the track "La Lune" and the sublime "Awkward Duet", where the atmosphere is one of regret and sadness.  However, the album is not depressing but remains hard to put in a box with a nice, neat label.  The only downside with this debut is the power to take it seriously when it sounds like a friend's demo CD, albeit a good demo.

The best advice with this release is to listen and make up your own mind, but avoid it at all costs if lo-fi recordings are your pet hate.

1. Fight
2. Broken Bones
3. Johnny Cash
4. Blood
5. Start to End
6. La Lune
7. Awkward Duet"