Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:30:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bloodborne - PS4

Started by Viero_Berlotti, February 10, 2015, 01:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Watching the unboxing of the press kit edition makes me want to go and buy the Nightmare Edition of the retail version instead of just boringly downloading it from the PS store. 125 quid mind you.

What a lovely thing to own https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuFF6maAzAk&feature=youtu.be

Quote from: Thursday on March 18, 2015, 06:28:18 PM
A reference to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqzsI8jmwTs

That is some gentle ass humour, man.

I'm sure some places will break release. The pressure must be too great and who would ever know? Bullshit that we get it three days later, hence me going with the US digital preorder.

prwc

Quote from: mobias on March 18, 2015, 08:46:33 PM
Watching the unboxing of the press kit edition makes me want to go and buy the Nightmare Edition of the retail version instead of just boringly downloading it from the PS store. 125 quid mind you.

It's £95 here. Just nearly bought it despite not even owning a fucking PS4 yet. I kind of swore off getting one until there's at least more than one game (i.e Bloodborne) that I'm interested in but I'm getting increasingly tempted.

Thursday

So if you make a pretend US psn account, will you need a different card than the one you use for the UK account?

Basically, set up a second account through your PS4, with US as location. You won't be able to buy directly through US PSN, though.

Log into amazon.com, using your existing UK amazon details and add a UK credit card (think you need to use a credit card, not debit) but set the billing address as a hotel in the US. It has to be a real address but they seem not to mind that it's not matched to the card's real billing address.

Buy psn digital credit vouchers through Amazon US and then pay through PSN with the voucher codes.

If you don't have a credit card, I don't think you can get the US PSN codes through Amazon, that's the only sticking point. It's worked perfectly for me.

Junglist

Also for those who've gone the US route, once it starts pre-downloading, which it did a few hours ago, your unlock time will jump from one day or so to 4 days (aka UK release).

Had my panicking, but according to neogaf, its because UK account reads it as a UK copy. Once it unlocks in the US, should be fine to play on UK account.

Viero_Berlotti

Bought mine from shopto, and doubt they will ship early. So will most likely get mine on Friday, a fair few days after you cheating USA account cunts.

Quote from: Junglist on March 22, 2015, 09:46:24 PM
Also for those who've gone the US route, once it starts pre-downloading, which it did a few hours ago, your unlock time will jump from one day or so to 4 days (aka UK release).

Had my panicking, but according to neogaf, its because UK account reads it as a UK copy. Once it unlocks in the US, should be fine to play on UK account.

If you switch back to your US account, it jumps back to one day, which was reassuring. The only thing would be no online play presumably, if I played through that account, because I don't have US PS+. Fingers crossed it does unlock for UK account before Friday.

Actually, on reflection, I expect - based on what happens when you switch account - that this won't actually unlock for the UK profile. I can't imagine why it would, really, though I'll be happy to be wrong. As such, without US PS+, there won't be any online component til Fri launch. I'm very tempted to go to bed at eight tonight so I can get up for a 4am start when it unlocks but I don't know what to do about my missus, given that the PS4 is in our room. I guess I'll move it downstairs before bed.

Junglist

Click options on Bloodborne tile on home screen, then information. It says unlocks at 4am tomorrow morning, despite timer saying 3 days or so. Should be sound on UK account.

Thanks for that. Just remembered I completely forgot my actual point before though, which is no UK servers surely running until Fri? Maybe it'll join us to what's already available elsewhere.

Junglist

Yeah we'll probably all be lumped into a Yank server til then. I won't be touching co-op/summoning and all that until my first playthrough is finished anyway.

Junglist

Quote from: Jim SterlingAs someone who preferred Demon's Souls over Dark Souls, I am delighted by the complexity of Bloodborne's map design, and how interconnected everything becomes as you unlock shortcuts and explore new regions. There's something exciting and revelationary about discovering just how much the world's areas weave together, and in unlocking each alternate route. While it's true Dark Souls featured some of that, the degree to which it's done here is sublime, and the use of a hub world (in this case, the "Hunter's Dream") to give one a familiar sense of home is most evocative of From's seminal 2009 classic, as is the distinctly urban atmosphere.

This PS4 outing is proof positive that greys and browns in a color scheme do not automatically have to mean dreary, boring visuals. There's something eerily handsome about Yarnham's dispiriting gloom, another thing it shares in common with Demon's Souls, a world densely populated by evidence of a once-glorious city brought low by decay and destruction. Everything looks so slick, from the rain soaking the cobbled streets to the glistening damp of blood and other foul fluids that seem to cling to the city's mewling aberrations. The fact that Bloodborne is, admittedly, not all that graphically impressive on a technical level is more than made up for by the elegant artistic design and a wonderful attention to detail that marries the disgusting with the alluring.

brat-sampson

Bleh, I didn't go for the American preload as my plan was to offset half the cost in Game credit. The four day delay sounded less painful at the time. Needless to say, I'm wavering now, after all, the credit will still be there...

I got up at 5, got an hour in before I had to leave for work. My initial thoughts, no spoilers:

- Combat feels amazing. I love using the weapon transform button in combos. I'd dreamed about something this fluid and cool but it's even better than I imagined. The lack of shields does make it somewhat hack and slash, except that if you play like that, you're dead. You need to judge and alter your weapon mode for different enemies, with different weaponry, often within a split second. Imagine spamming R1 when you're up in someone's grill and then switching lock on and launching a transform attack to finish the combo at range to stun an onrushing enemy who was just about to prang you. And these are the basic enemy fights.

- The sense of terror and vulnerability at having no shield is brutal but the new dash/glide makes you feel OP. You're not, at all, but you feel damn good picking dudes off until you get backed into a corner. Unfortunately...

- You never feel safe in this game. In Dark Souls you'd clear an area and it would basically be dead, you could put the pad down and have a breather. Whether due to the interlinking paths or enemy frequency or the fact that they wander pretty far, individually and in groups, you're never far from seeing your back begin to light up from some marauder's torch or getting pronged in the spine by a pitchfork. They seem to aggro much easier than in the Souls games and noise also seems to be a trigger. If you kite one off, his mates will be right behind, as well as enemies coming from other directions.

- I've already enjoyed the feeling of wandering too far, several times. Do I go back and spend my stuff or press on? I press on, I die. Gotta keep going.

Thursday

I was at least expecting a few more "I don't get it!" style reviews 9's and 10's everywhere, and the places that haven't scored them yet read like 9's and 10's.

Jerzy Bondov

Well folks, I'm going to buy this game.

Junglist

Made the mistake of logging into my UK account this morning, which locked out the game. Re-downloading now, and its running great. If you've gone US release, boot it up once on your US account before trying the UK account, otherwise it locks you out til Friday and you have to re-download.

Junglist

First boss down. This is everything I'd hoped for.

Thursday

I'd decided I was going to cancel my pre-order and get the U.S version if it hadn't already despatched when I got home today. So I was slightly disappointed to see that it had, but hopefully that means I'll get it slightly early.

Still tempted to just go for the U.S version and sell the other one though.

Ignatius_S

If people were looking to buy via the European Store, at the moment there's a promotion where, if bought with PayPal, when buying £50 of store credit (which Bloodborne costs) you will only be charged £40.

Quote from: Thursday on March 24, 2015, 02:41:36 PM
I'd decided I was going to cancel my pre-order and get the U.S version if it hadn't already despatched when I got home today. So I was slightly disappointed to see that it had, but hopefully that means I'll get it slightly early.

Still tempted to just go for the U.S version and sell the other one though.

Which retailer was it? Having it dispatched today, unfortunately, isn't an indication itself about the likelihood of early delivery – sometimes (in my experience, anyway and this happened recently with one order) a Tuesday pre-order dispatch gets delivered on the Friday. A little while ago, it's was claimed that one or two retailers had their knuckles rapped for breaking the street release date and – for certain high-profile releases, anyway - were having to be more careful.

If you don't want the copy you've ordered, just return it unopened – most sellers offer a 14-day return policy (which IIRC is the legal minimum); Game offers 28 days.

Eat the fuckin sarnie, which means just buy it from the US store and send.your copy back. I've had a busy day in work and got several meetings after school but the thought of getting home to play this has kept me psyched all day. I've had that blood orange sunset in my mind, and the glide and drift of the hotstep. Could this be the GOAT? Certainly, the combat is deeper, more complex and more exciting than Souls.

I'll be honest, I was dubious about this game for a number of reasons, not least the essential omission of tanking shit or throwing lightning. Muh builds! Even from the brief hour I played this morning, with one weapon, this has got depth beyond quantitative variety.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 24, 2015, 03:19:15 PM
If people were looking to buy via the European Store, at the moment there's a promotion where, if bought with PayPal, when buying £50 of store credit (which Bloodborne costs) you will only be charged £40.

Shit, I can't afford it but I don't think I've any choice but to do this.

Thursday

Yes Ignatius talked me into it and I've been playing for the last 2 hours.

First boss is down on my 2nd attempt, although there was a lot of exploration and a bit of grinding for more blood vials before that 2nd attempt came.

Holy fuck.
Spoiler alert
The piercing shriek of the cleric beast, it's been a while since I felt such terror at a Souls boss, even though Dark Souls 2 bosses could be hard, they didn't instill the same sense of fear
[close]

That triumphant fist pumping feeling is back. The relief. The rush of endorphins. The sudden urge to laugh.

Junglist

There's a simple way of doing that boss, using an older Souls technique. Unfortunately I discovered it on my first attempt so never got to do proper battle :(

But I don't have any dung pies :(

Just got home and I'm gonna get on this. So thrilled.

Junglist

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 24, 2015, 07:27:48 PM
But I don't have any dung pies :(

Heh, technique is (spoilered just in case):

Spoiler alert
Stay near its feet and circle around when it attacks. . It'll occasionally hurt you but you heal quick. Keep doing that and you'll smash it.
[close]

brat-sampson

Yeah, I bought the thing. Been playing for a good few hours now, found the beast boss harder than the second, but I was a bit more practiced by then. A troll w/ a brick or a club still stands a fair chance of severely wounding me and werewolves can go fuck right off (especially in pairs.) This is amazing.

Last death was further than ever into an area where you have to be pretty nimble (Spoiler for why:
Spoiler alert
minigun
[close]
) I tried to run to find a new safe spot but managed to pick up at least 5-7 guys chasing me by the time I stopped and hadn't even found one. Popping in and out of safety and luring them gradually next time methinks.

Well, it turns out I'm fucking shite at this. I've put a couple of hours into it now and not found the first boss. I got to the bridge and got screwed by a couple of harder beasts, I guess it's up there but I couldn't bear losing everything again so went another way. I had some decent wandering down into a lower area and survived. That early fella with a big axe can one shot me every time. I need more practice and more learning. Only managed an hour this evening sadly, because my missus had a really early start. Tomorrow night I'm gonna get shit done.

The real joy of the combat is the gliding dash. When you dance round four or five enemies and kill them all without taking a hit, it's so so great. It just feels right, like Mario or something.