Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,361
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:59:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Return Of CAPTAIN TWO-LITAAAAAR!!!

Started by Catalogue Trousers, February 11, 2015, 10:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Great stuff. It'll be a sad day when they run out of adverts.

shiftwork2

That was enjoyable.  Interesting to hear that the 'well-controlled' parking was marshalled by the old sausage himself.

Glebe

Fantastic! I can assure you, that was the finest behind-the-scenes documentary I've ever witnessed! Tremendous protein value!

Quote from: Phil_A on February 11, 2015, 10:21:46 PMWhat's he saying at the start of the third one? It sounds like "Wiiiiiine, the great enemy!"

Quote from: Phil_A on February 11, 2015, 11:13:44 PMPity really, I was enjoying imagining Captain Two Litarrrr's one-man campaign against the encroaching forces of the dreaded grape.

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on February 12, 2015, 12:09:20 AMIt's the way he turns the phrase "Flora Oil" into a bizarre, Lovecraftian slurring.

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on February 12, 2015, 03:01:25 AMI don't think Special Brew will ever be so gloriously introduced ever again, he makes it actually sound special.

Quote from: doppelkorn on February 12, 2015, 05:23:06 PMhe's a military man, Marjorie, you wouldn't understand the things he's seen.

I don't know what I'd do without this forum, I really don't.

Morrison Lard

Incredible.
Thanks very much for the update.

If anyone, like myself, wants to download this and watch it on the big screen with some Côte du Rhône, bottle, two pound nineteen-

http://twittervideodownloader.com/

and bang the url in there, and download the glorious 1280x720p mp4.

Glebe

We should do a Kickstarter to raise funds for the Benest ads to be fully restored and remastered in the only the finest 4K transfers. Tremendous.

Crabwalk

This thread is the finest I have come across in many a year. 67p.

Uncle TechTip

A thread of virtue, in the capable hands, of our young and vigorous, management team.

Golden E. Pump

Isn't it weird how this forum can take something so obscure that I should never have crossed paths with in this fleeting journey called life, and turn it into something so magical?

If I told my real life friends that in my I watch 1980s adverts for a Supermarket on the Channel Islands they'd think I'd lost it. But it's them who suffer the loss.

Dex Sawash

The Benest's location with the food hall has a 3rd floor loading dock. In one of the ads, they are lifting stuff up there witb a scissor lift cart.

edit- it's a high lift fork truck, not a scissor lift

Glebe

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 13, 2017, 09:02:57 PMthe old sausage himself.

His great-grandchildren will carry on the proud tradition of excellence. Finest protein value!

Glebe

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 14, 2017, 09:56:38 PMThis thread is the finest I have come across in many a year. 67p.

"Coaker-Colar, £1.79!"

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on February 11, 2015, 10:13:15 PMI couldn't find the old thread

HERE IT IS!

Quote from: Chriddof on April 05, 2013, 05:10:09 PMJust a note here to say that I've uploaded all four of those adverts to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=judBvJY6Hk8

Sadly, those four superlatives are no longer available!

Quote from: Chriddof on June 13, 2013, 01:05:20 AMAnd here's two more old 1970s Channel Islands ads. Features Bernie Clifton arsing about and doing a poor W.C. Fields impersonation on the voiceover, and a rather basic Butterkist popcorn ad. Note that the second one is in black and white as the Channel Islands didn't get colour telly until as late as 1976.

Classic Clifton (minus-Ostrich).

Quote from: Panbaams on June 14, 2013, 03:48:50 PMAt 1:23, is he saying "Pricey ponces"?

I love rediscovering cracking stuff like this!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 14, 2017, 11:47:19 PM
The Benest's location with the food hall has a 3rd floor loading dock. In one of the ads, they are lifting stuff up there witb a scissor lift cart.

edit- it's a high lift fork truck, not a scissor lift

Buzby wouldn't have got that wrong <shakes head>

gilbertharding

Quote from: oilywater on March 18, 2015, 08:40:14 PM
The Channel Archive have come up trumps again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxcnJ9S0O4c

I have been applying myself with renewed vigour to the challenges of the new video

For me this is a winner from the moment the camera lingers for what seems like 10 minutes on someone ever so carefully parking their Mark 2 Ford Fiesta. We later learn that they are able to take their time because the shop is not about to close for lunch.

Twed

Whoa slow down there speed racer, they're reverse parking about as fast as possible with that busy crowd lollygagging behind them

kngen

Quote from: Enzo on November 13, 2017, 02:30:25 AM
Lovely little film from Channel TV archives about our beloved Major

https://twitter.com/ChannelArchive/status/929786399934447617

Ah, that's wonderful. He used to direct traffic in the car park on busy Saturdays!! That's just made my bloody day!

BlodwynPig

Interesting bit about the reverb unit. It makes sense, all voiceovers must have FX on them or else they would just sound flat. Learned something today thanks to that.

I would love to have seen a Charlie Hungerford - Major Benest stand off.

gilbertharding

I can't get over the way he pronounces HIS OWN NAME.

The last syllable just sounds like he's pissed and can't be arsed to say "Bennett's" properly.

Bennezzxxf Millbrook. AnFineprice. Sunclemmunscowsrode. Bennezzzz ah fukit.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Twed on November 15, 2017, 03:50:52 PM
Whoa slow down there speed racer, they're reverse parking about as fast as possible with that busy crowd lollygagging behind them

I'm convinced also that the brown Rover 3-litre in a lot of the car park footage is the Major's personal transport.

Glebe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 17, 2017, 03:42:00 PMInteresting bit about the reverb unit. It makes sense, all voiceovers must have FX on them or else they would just sound flat. Learned something today thanks to that.

I'd love the see a VH1 Behind the Music on Cap T-L... "We worked for hours on the drumbeat of success!"

kngen

I love the detail about the 'pack shots' - him just turning up with a shopping basket of individual items, and then fucking off back to the shop with them. Glorious.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 17, 2017, 04:54:04 PM
I'm convinced also that the brown Rover 3-litaaaaar in a lot of the car park footage is the Major's personal transport.

FTFY.

Glebe

Let's do the pick of the quotes from each ad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aop0MRTVhO4#t=1m26s

"Digest..."

"Coker-Colar, two-by-two litah, one pound seventy-nine!"

"Alsooo... Titan pilzin-nah, and Titan bit-tah, both at only 33 pence per 500 mil!"

Glebe

Catalogue Trousers

Chriddof

Don't think this has been posted here yet - recently Channel Television uploaded a remastered version of the old Chipsteaks ad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS7H_DBbXfg

shiftwork2

Quote from: Chriddof on December 10, 2017, 03:13:15 PM
Don't think this has been posted here yet - recently Channel Television uploaded a remastered version of the old Chipsteaks ad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS7H_DBbXfg

I think this is the definitive Benest's of Millbrook (and FinePrice) ad.  Obviously the old stick appears in person, and there is a belter of a Benest-ism in 'tremendous protein value'.  Such a likeable insufferable pompous arsehole.

Greatly looking forward to these newly found ads.

Glebe

Come on Criterion, let's have a fully-restored, 4K remaster of the complete TWO-LITAAARRR collection!