Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New "Alien" movie coming from Neill Blomkamp

Started by surreal, February 19, 2015, 07:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby Treetops

New page twat...yes!

This is obviously the best Alien sequel (and NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRYbS4AypxE

Bobby Treetops

In the unlikely event that anyone is interested in the Alien 2 trailer

QuoteAlien Terror, also known as Alien 2 and Strangers, is a 1980 science fiction film, written and directed by Ciro Ippolito before the trademark Alien was registered. It was released following the success of the 1979 film Alien as an unofficial sequel, albeit having little connection to the film.

The film company soon had to rename it Alien Terror for obvious reason and the copy I saw had Alien Terror badly superimposed over the original name in the title sequence. I can also report apart from some rather amusing dubbing and special effects, it's a right old load of shit [nb]And not a patch on 'Rats:Night of Terror'[/nb]

Replies From View

Harpo Speaks

Was at a talk by Michael Biehn yesterday, while he's talked to Blomkamp, he's still yet to see a script or sign a contract for the film. Did confirm that the idea was to disregard 3 and Resurrection and follow directly on from Aliens.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Catching up with this thread, so I know discussion's moved on, but regarding the alien dozing in the escape pod at the end of the original Alien: I'm pretty sure one aspect of Giger's initial concept for the creature that got lost along the way, was that it was relatively short lived and focussed all its efforts on reproduction because of this.

Pretty certain that there's an interview of him somewhere explaining that the flesh coloured chestburster's evolution into the full grown's dark bio mechanical skin was intended to be evocative of bruising and atrophy. The Alien we see at the end of film 1 is therefore a knackered old geezer having 40-winks or something.

newbridge

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on August 16, 2015, 01:31:54 PM
Catching up with this thread, so I know discussion's moved on, but regarding the alien dozing in the escape pod at the end of the original Alien: I'm pretty sure one aspect of Giger's initial concept for the creature that got lost along the way, was that it was relatively short lived and focussed all its efforts on reproduction because of this.

Pretty certain that there's an interview of him somewhere explaining that the flesh coloured chestburster's evolution into the full grown's dark bio mechanical skin was intended to be evocative of bruising and atrophy. The Alien we see at the end of film 1 is therefore a knackered old geezer having 40-winks or something.

That makes sense, and does seem to be what the original movie is implying (i.e. the alien grows to its adult form in a matter of hours and by the escape pod scene does appear to be dying/almost-dead -- that was my takeaway anyways)

mothman

Hmm. They've retained the pump mechanism/cage from the SPAS-12, but the main part of the rifle obviously isn't based on a Thompson submachinegun anymore - well, the pistol-grip is the same as on the original 1986 props but the barrel is drastically different. Not sure what it is, a HK maybe? But that off-the-shelf holographic dot sight? Ugh, please.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/M41A_Pulse_Rifle

phantom_power

Quote from: greenman on July 27, 2015, 09:26:43 PM
Alien Resurrection does do a good job of showing what a pulpy hack Wheden really is, the third film has some weaknesses and does crap on the 2nd a bit too much for my liking but does have a good story and a good selection of characters.

I am not sure you can blame Whedon too much for Alien Resurrection. It got almost completely re-written when he left the project by various writers. Like it or not Whedon has a pretty distinct writing style and none of that is on display in AR

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on July 29, 2015, 11:25:24 PM
In the unlikely event that anyone is interested in the Alien 2 trailer

The film company soon had to rename it Alien Terror for obvious reason and the copy I saw had Alien Terror badly superimposed over the original name in the title sequence. I can also report apart from some rather amusing dubbing and special effects, it's a right old load of shit [nb]And not a patch on 'Rats:Night of Terror'[/nb]
Now, you don't have to rely on Bobby Treetops word, you can see "Alien 2 On Earth" for yourself, for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_qogAwkeYw

Replies From View

Glebe

Shaky

Quote from: Glebe on November 24, 2015, 02:32:10 AM
http://collider.com/alien-5-story-newt-michael-biehn/

Really hope this gets made in the end.

I don't think this is going to happen, to be honest. They'll churn out Sir Ridley's prequels for as long as the old duffer is still around (provided they make money, of course). The Oscar buzz for The Martian has likely allowed him even more control over the direction of the franchise and I get the feeling he doesn't really want Blomkamp and co stealing his thunder.

Then we'll be years down the track and a reboot of some sort will appear.

greenman

Quote from: phantom_power on October 16, 2015, 07:26:54 PM
I am not sure you can blame Whedon too much for Alien Resurrection. It got almost completely re-written when he left the project by various writers. Like it or not Whedon has a pretty distinct writing style and none of that is on display in AR

The problem I would say is that the core of Whedon remains, the empty geekishness of the whole thing full of cheap genre clichés.

phantom_power

Quote from: greenman on November 24, 2015, 05:32:09 AM
The problem I would say is that the core of Whedon remains, the empty geekishness of the whole thing full of cheap genre clichés.

I would argue that none of that describes Whedon's style but horses for courses I suppose. I would have thought Whedon was more known for subverting genre cliches rather than following them. His career was made by Buffy, a prime example of that subversion

Glebe

Custard

Well, that's the last reason to watch it gone. What a balls up

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on January 31, 2016, 07:48:47 AM
*bump*

Looks like Noomi Rapace ain't gonna be Alien: Covenant, ffs.

QuoteThe 78-year-old British filmmaker is adamant he can make 'Covenant' a big hit because he's "always" enjoyed great success at the box office.

Speaking to The Guardian newspaper, the acclaimed director - whose other credits include 'The Martian', 'Blade Runner', for which he is working on a sequel, and 'Gladiator' - said: "You prove how reliable you are. Which I am, I always have been - it's part of my thing ... You want big films and stories to keep people going to the cinema. It's up to us to keep the bar raised. That's the trick. I've always done that.

He continued: "It is brain surgery! It is bloody brain surgery! You're putting together a whole group of people, you're trying to budget as accurately as you can and, at the end of it, you've got to sell a lot of tickets. That's more complex than banking - but a few of us manage to pull it off."

Am I reading this wrong, or is he essentially saying "this film will be a success because my films always are"?  I'd venture that that reasoning is borderline senile.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Blade Runner wasn't a great success in 1982. It's the ultimate slow burn, building its reputation through the 80s and then getting officially lauded as a Great Thing in the 90s, after which it became a very profitable Cinema Classic to milk through endless repackaging.

If you don't like "cheap genre cliches" then call them "tropes", and they don't sound so bad.

Custard

Ridley Scott has always been someone who takes great pride in the undeniable fact that nearly all his films not only make their money back, but usually make a tidy profit too. The joy of film-making comes somewhere below that priority. So his comments might seem a bit arrogant written down, but he is justified in saying it

Studios tend to go for directors like Scott first, as he's easy to communicate and work with, won't go over time and over budget, and his films make a profit. There's no doubt he's really successful in a business sense

I wonder if he actually enjoys making films these days. He always seems really dour and bored in interviews, and he's almost become a sausage-making machine in the way he churns them out. You wonder if he's actually got any, or ever has had any passion projects in him he really wants to do, beyond the usual lazy studio shite

greenman

Quote from: phantom_power on November 24, 2015, 11:36:50 AM
I would argue that none of that describes Whedon's style but horses for courses I suppose. I would have thought Whedon was more known for subverting genre cliches rather than following them. His career was made by Buffy, a prime example of that subversion

I don't really see subversion of cliché's in Whedons work so much as a heavy use of them combined with some originality in terms of specifics and a good deal of meta humour.

phantom_power

Buffy is a subversion of the cliche of damsels in distress. Hush is a subversion of the cliche that Whedon is just about snappy dialogue.

To be honest I am not too sure where subversion ends and "heavy use combined with originality and meta humour" begins.

Glebe

http://www.cineworld.ie/whatson/paradise-prometheus-2?cinema=dublin&date=all

What the ACTUAL fuck?! It's not called 'Paradise', Rapace isn't going to in it, and as for being released a month from now, it hasn't even begun filming, to my knowledge. Someone got pranked bad at Cineworld.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on February 04, 2016, 12:53:15 PM
http://www.cineworld.ie/whatson/paradise-prometheus-2?cinema=dublin&date=all

What the ACTUAL fuck?! It's not called 'Paradise', Rapace isn't going to in it, and as for being released a month from now, it hasn't even begun filming, to my knowledge. Someone got pranked bad at Cineworld.

It's April 1st today, lad.

Shaky

QuoteIt's not yet known whether Ridley Scott will return to the director's chair.

And it's out in March!! That's some guerrilla film-making. Maybe we'll get a new Alien film every month, on the sly?

Glebe

Famous Mortimer

Glebe