Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:54:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New "Alien" movie coming from Neill Blomkamp

Started by surreal, February 19, 2015, 07:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 23, 2015, 06:36:48 PM
It's also part of the director's cut, which ruins the continuity although I like it for it's creepiness.

I wonder which version of 'Alien' Scott considers canon when it comes to Prometheus.  He probably doesn't care.

Mango Chimes

Thinking about it, I never thought there were even two separate types between the films until reading some nerds going on about 'drones' and that.  I think I just accepted Aliens sometimes they stab people the head, other times they don't bother.  That cut scene kind of ties all that together better, although I guess you'd have to do some twisting to explain how the Alien Queen fits in.

Riddles definitely doesn't care what's what.  This is entirely reaching, but Prometheus seemed to be him using the connections with Alien to secure funding for his new stupid alien film, then making those connections as thin and meaningless as possible once he was up and running.

Like how he can't possibly make a film about Egyptians if it doesn't star a caucasian big name like Joel Edgerton, he can't make a film about his inexplicably angry giant men without pretending they were secretly hidden inside the obviously-not-meant-to-be-a-costume much-bigger-giant-men from Alien.

Mango Chimes

[this accidental double-post has been cut from the theatrical release of this thread]

mobias

Quote from: Replies From View on February 23, 2015, 12:46:45 PM

They should come up with a new alien entirely, I think.  The Giger beast from Ridley Scott's Alien is done.

Yup definitely agree here. That was probably my biggest disappointment with Prometheus. In the run up to it there was a lot said about there being new creatures in it and how H.R. Giger had done designs for them. I remember Ridley Scott saying in an interview post release that they chose to use different designs because he wanted a fresh look for them and he actively didn't want the film to end up a total Giger-fest. That totally goes against what fans of the sereies wanted to see and where the magic of Alien actually comes from.

I also agree that the queen Alien idea that Cameron came up with for Aliens what utter crap, way too obvious. Its design was naff too. All those silly little arms and that insectoid look ruined it totally.

Some of the unused designs for Alien are really creepy. They should have used stuff like this in Prometheus.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Other than brand recognition, and loyalty to a popular character, I reckon people still want to see more from Ripley coz she's always been a fairly well drawn female character, and the modern day replacement would likely be some austere, airbrushed spacebabe, square jawed, wise cracking future-hunk, or relentlessly sarcastic, angsty, Xtreme spaceteen with attitude.

Mister Six

Quote from: mobias on February 23, 2015, 07:16:06 PMThat totally goes against what fans of the sereies wanted to see and where the magic of Alien actually comes from.

To be honest, I find 'the fans' pissing and moaning because someone didn't cater to their every whim and desire a bit tedious. Artists shouldn't give a fuck about what 'the fans' want if they have a creative vision that pushes them in a different direction.

I admit that this argument would be more persuasive if Prometheus hadn't been a load of shit.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mister Six on February 24, 2015, 03:35:10 AM
To be honest, I find 'the fans' pissing and moaning because someone didn't cater to their every whim and desire a bit tedious. Artists shouldn't give a fuck about what 'the fans' want if they have a creative vision that pushes them in a different direction.

I admit that this argument would be more persuasive if Prometheus hadn't been a load of shit.

Hah, admirable reconciliation.  It's the same way I feel about famous artists using Kickstarter so they're allowed total creative control over the product without interference from "the man" etc.  Unfortunately, the outcome is invariably quite shit.

Steven

Surely your artistic integrity isn't compromised if you look at the new designs for Prometheus compared to Giger's and reasonably come to the conclusion they are utter fucking shit? Prometheus wasn't even an Alien film it just threw a similar design in at the end to justify stealing that franchises audience.

The sequels were too concerned with Ripley as a protagonist, she's meant to be a kind of accidental hero.. in that sense the real story is this creepy organism and the Weyland corporation. They kind of justified it in Aliens because she was the only one with any experience of the creature and was a Weyland pawn, but trying to squeeze her into every kind of iteration is silly.

In other news Louis CK wants to be the baddie in the new film and to die horribly.

greenman

Quote from: Steven on February 24, 2015, 04:25:19 AM
Surely your artistic integrity isn't compromised if you look at the new designs for Prometheus compared to Giger's and reasonably come to the conclusion they are utter fucking shit? Prometheus wasn't even an Alien film it just threw a similar design in at the end to justify stealing that franchises audience.

The sequels were too concerned with Ripley as a protagonist, she's meant to be a kind of accidental hero.. in that sense the real story is this creepy organism and the Weyland corporation. They kind of justified it in Aliens because she was the only one with any experience of the creature and was a Weyland pawn, but trying to squeeze her into every kind of iteration is silly.

In other news Louis CK wants to be the baddie in the new film and to die horribly.

That's her role in Alien but a lot of the success of Aliens really depends on her character becoming the real focus of the film.

The problem with Alien films since that point is IMHO that none of them have really broken away from trying to remake elements of the first two films. Again I would disagree that Prometheus was looking to answer the questions nobody wanted answered. Rather I would say its failing was that it didn't really answer its own questions instead diverting into yet another Alien/Aliens remake, it didn't show us the Alien/Space Jockey homeworld either. That's why I hold out some hope for a sequal as well as none of the Transformers/Trek hacks get near it.

If Blomkamp were involved in a sequal I think its a pretty safe bet it would be be a plot based around Weyland-Yutani or other evil corperate/government interest.

Bad Ambassador

Sharlto Copley should be in it as the robot man.

Canted_Angle

Operty1

I hadn't realised that they had already released a trailer, it certainly is a change of direction:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=woQQpjrkpEY

stunted

Surely Alien 3 had more of the stalker/horror thing going on than Aliens? This is just a ploy so they can have Ripley back; her story is done, move on.

Mango Chimes

Mmm. It very much goes back to a monster stalking people in dark corridors. It also very much gives a definitive end to Ellen Ripley's story. He's describing Alien 3.

Someone should let him know it already exists.

An tSaoi

glitch

Unnecessary fanwank shite. The one thing the Alien franchise needs less of is Ripley.

Steven

Wouldn't Newt be still alive too then?

Wipley!

Going to be difficult to explain that one with the same actress isn't it? Something to do with her sleep stasis pod malfunctioning or something? I mostly age at night, mostly.

El Unicornio, mang

The actors ageing should be easy enough to explain, going to be tricky to explain Bishop ageing though.

In the 1990 comic (which also takes place after Aliens, 10 years later), Newt is sent to a mental hospital and ends up in a relationship with
Spoiler alert
an android
[close]
named Butler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_%28comic_book%29

Johnny Textface

I think this ignoring sequels and doing new takes on previous stories is certainly more interesting than rebooting franchises.  If this is successful they could maybe redo the Star Wars prequels too :)

Other instances of this incredibly exciting but cynical money making ploy include.
Grease, The Exorcist, Highlander, Speed, Jaws, The Matrix... Bored now.

greenman

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 26, 2015, 06:21:40 PM
I think this ignoring sequels and doing new takes on previous stories is certainly more interesting than rebooting franchises.  If this is successful they could maybe redo the Star Wars prequels too :)

Other instances of this incredibly exciting but cynical money making ploy include.
Grease, The Exorcist, Highlander, Speed, Jaws, The Matrix... Bored now.

The prequals and the Matrix maybe, the rest would probably best be just remade unless your going to take things in a very different direction with the original film as a setup. I'm actually quite supprised nobody has looked to remake Highlander.

My guess would be a Blomkamp Aliens sequal would just look to pickup years after that film with Ripley and maybe Hicks/Bishop involved again when the company tracks down some more Aliens or having to deal with them actually using them as a weapon.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: greenman on February 26, 2015, 07:05:33 PM
I'm actually quite supprised nobody has looked to remake Highlander.

They did a TV show but it was a bit shit.

Quote from: greenman on February 26, 2015, 07:05:33 PM
the rest would probably best be just remade

Stop it.

Alberon

I thought the Highlander series (while not high art) was an improvement on the films[nb]Even the first one.[/nb] most of the time.

A quote from Blomkamp has Den of Geek suggesting Alien 5 will actually turn out to be Alien 2 and a half.

QuoteAs he continues the press tour for his new movie, Chappie, he's clarified the comments that he made however, and he's told the site AlloCine that "I'm not trying to undo Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection". Instead, he added that "My favourites are the first two movies. I want to make a film that's connected to Alien and Aliens. That's my goal".

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien/34331/neill-blomkamp-im-not-trying-to-undo-alien-3

Don't buy it myself though.

Bhazor

Y'know, it is amazing how long the remorseless Hollywood reboot engine has taken to reach Alien. I mean christ they've been scraping the bottom of the IP barrel for a couple years now but have only just started thinking about Alien. I guess Maniac, Footloose and Shortcircuit were higher priority.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Alberon on February 27, 2015, 11:20:00 AM
I thought the Highlander series (while not high art) was an improvement on the films[nb]Even the first one.[/nb] most of the time.

A quote from Blomkamp has Den of Geek suggesting Alien 5 will actually turn out to be Alien 2 and a half.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien/34331/neill-blomkamp-im-not-trying-to-undo-alien-3

Don't buy it myself though.

So it's going to be two hours of Ripley and co. in their hypersleep chambers? Suddenly looking 30 years older? I can't think how they can do it if they don't ignore 3 and 4.

ElTopo

Quote from: Bhazor on February 27, 2015, 11:44:08 AM
Y'know, it is amazing how long the remorseless Hollywood reboot engine has taken to reach Alien. I mean christ they've been scraping the bottom of the IP barrel for a couple years now but have only just started thinking about Alien. I guess Maniac, Footloose and Shortcircuit were higher priority.

Well, Footloose was due a reboot, for obvious reasons[nb]it was becoming loose[/nb].

glitch

I'm hoping the less-than-favourable response to CHAPPiE will kill this shit.

greenman

Quote from: Alberon on February 27, 2015, 11:20:00 AM

All I can remember from it was Adrian Paul responding to any possible situation either a blank stoic expression or a cheesy smile.

It wouldn't take much to better any of the highlander sequals but the original still holds up pretty well, a fun mix of fantasy drama and MTV film making, probably the best example of the latter I can remember seeing.

Hollow

Quote from: Alberon on February 19, 2015, 12:19:58 PM
For all it's many many flaws I tend to prefer Alien Resurrection to Alien 3. Maybe what I don't like about the third one is the way it pisses all over the ending of Aliens by killing Newt off like that.

Whether Blomkamp's doodles represent a real idea of where Alien 5 is going or whether it just got him the job and a blank slate I can't see them following on from the fourth Alien film either. Resurrection was made eighteen years ago now and wasn't a huge hit on release. If they started the new film with Ripley being a half-alien clone most of the audience could go WTF?

I've never got why people say that. So in between two and three a little girl dies due to a fire while she was in suspended animation...shit happens?

I think it starts the film as it is meant to go on. Alien 3 is about death, how would Newt have survived without Ripley at the end?...the company would have just shot her.

In reality, the actress would have been to old too play Newt and a recast would've been worse.

I mostly never liked Newt anyway...mostly.

I was way more pissed off they killed Hicks.

Spiteface

Quote from: Hollow on March 14, 2015, 02:50:39 PM
I've never got why people say that. So in between two and three a little girl dies due to a fire while she was in suspended animation...shit happens?

I think it starts the film as it is meant to go on. Alien 3 is about death, how would Newt have survived without Ripley at the end?...the company would have just shot her.

In reality, the actress would have been to old too play Newt and a recast would've been worse.

I mostly never liked Newt...mostly.

Your first point... By the end of Aliens, you kind of have a family unit that you grow to care about - Ripley, Hicks & Newt.  Alien 3 kicks you in the balls for doing so by killing them in the opening credits. Other stuff you point out is fair enough actually, given the gap in time between the two films. I actually thought Alien 3 wasn't bad, really.

Resurrection is shite though, equally as bad as both AVP films (although at least it is better-lit than AVP2). Anyone who proclaims Joss Whedon as some kind of genius, I have to remind them he wrote that. [nb]For the record, I was a big Buffy and (especially) Angel fan, and I adored Dollhouse. Firefly is grossly overrated though.[/nb]