Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New "Alien" movie coming from Neill Blomkamp

Started by surreal, February 19, 2015, 07:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollow

Yes I know it was a kick in the lady balls for Ripley...but that's the problem they left themselves by leaving the sequel for, was it eight years?

I like Alien 3 too...I used to like Resurrection but on a recent viewing saw it to be a pile of nothing with one good scene...I'm not gonna be a walking cliche by saying what that was...you already know.

Replies From View

A follow-up to 'Aliens' in the style of the James Cameron film but without his involvement, using the "family" of Ripley, Hicks and Newt would have been disappointingly shite.  I'm surprised that so many people overlook this in their thoughts of what could have been.  'Alien3' was a far braver and more interesting turn to take, and did what needed to be done to keep the story about Ripley and the xenomorphs rather than Ripley and whoever survived from the previous films added together.

Blumf

Why have they not done a Predator vs Space Marines film? Seems so obvious, and nearly impossible to get wrong (sure they'd manage but still)

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on March 14, 2015, 05:18:08 PM
Why have they not done a Predator vs Space Marines film? Seems so obvious, and nearly impossible to get wrong (sure they'd manage but still)

Because often the best solution is the most obvious one, and people involved in the creative industries would much rather convolute everything with their own mucky handprints than go in the most obvious yet undoubtedly correct directions.

Thus we get Terminator Salvation rather than a film that comfortably fits as a simple sequel and prequel to the earlier Terminator films, and remakes of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland that, as pointed out in the Dumbo remake thread, completely miss what should have been easy open goals.

Canted_Angle

I thought 'PREDATORS' was the best movie in the franchise especially with crazy Larry Fishburn and the Samurai vs. Predator in the long grass. What's not to like?

Replies From View

Quote from: Canted_Angle on March 22, 2015, 04:28:50 PM
I thought 'PREDATORS' was the best movie in the franchise especially with crazy Larry Fishburn and the Samurai vs. Predator in the long grass. What's not to like?

The height of the grass.  It's not Honey I Shrunk The Kids.  They should have done it in shorter grass or a bowl of Cheerios or something.

greenman

Quote from: Canted_Angle on March 22, 2015, 04:28:50 PM

It was about as good as a "lets do some cool stuff with Predators" film could be expected to be, the original simple action formula taken to extremes was a lot better and personally I preffer the "greatest hits of the 80's" style of Predator 2 as well.

Canted_Angle

Quote from: Replies From View on March 22, 2015, 05:09:49 PM
The height of the grass.  It's not Honey I Shrunk The Kids.  They should have done it in shorter grass or a bowl of Cheerios or something.

Funny you should say that. When I went to see it at the cinema just before they head into the long grass my friend said 'ahh, fuck the long grass' during a moment of silence which made a fair amount of the people in the cinema start laughing so the length of the grass holds a special place in my heart that it may not hold for others.

Custard

Here's a little bit of concept art

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien-5/36210/alien-5-new-concept-art-revealed

I like the Assembly Cut of Alien 3, but ignoring the events of that film and Resurrection could be great if done right

QuoteBlomkamp confirms that original Alien director Ridley Scott will be producing the movie, and that it won't 'tread on the toes of Prometheus 2'. "I changed the one thing [Ridley Scott] felt was bumping Prometheus a little bit", Blomkamp confirmed.

Scott likes the idea of what Blomkamp has come up with for the new Alien film, the piece confirms, and the new movie won't be called Alien 5. In fact, Neill Blomkamp already has a title in mind. "It's kinda quite bold, but it gives away too much if I say the title", he teased. And as for where the film will sit in the series? It's still not entirely clear. "Where it went after Aliens to me, as a fan, was wrong". The new film will be "the triplet of the first two. There's a shitload missing as a fan that I would want to see".

Guesses?

I'M SAYING ALIEN REBORN OR NEWT ALIVE

Hobo

I'm going to guess at  Alien: Invasion  or some such crap.

Replies From View

QuoteBlomkamp confirms that original Alien director Ridley Scott will be producing the movie, and that it won't 'tread on the toes of Prometheus 2'.

Phew!  Prometheus 2 is the one film I want ring-fenced in this entire franchise.

Replies From View

newbridge

I just rewatched the original Alien for the first time in quite a while. Obviously it is great.

Perhaps I am dumb, but can someone explain to me why the alien seems to be taking a nap on the escape shuttle at the end?[nb]During the truly inspired gratuitous-Sigourney-Weaver-underwear scene, giving her the time to suit up and eject it[/nb] Was it supposed to be injured or something?

Replies From View

Quote from: newbridge on July 19, 2015, 07:31:55 PM
Perhaps I am dumb, but can someone explain to me why the alien seems to be taking a nap on the escape shuttle at the end?[nb]During the truly inspired gratuitous-Sigourney-Weaver-underwear scene, giving her the time to suit up and eject it[/nb] Was it supposed to be injured or something?

I assumed it was just sleeping or something.  Should it have been constantly eating?

Steven

There's a deleted scene where Ripley finds the alien has cocooned Dallas, so the life cycle has been achieved and having eaten the rest of the crew it was probably finding somewhere to go into stasis or something. The thing the always troubled me was how it manages to find the escape pod on a freighter that's about to self-destruct, obviously there's narrative reasons for tension but it's very fucking lucky. Had Ripley been into the pod before the escape? As I recall she goes back and forth for various things like for Jones the cat, maybe the alien was tracking her activity via whatever senses?

Dr Rock

Quoten fact, Neill Blomkamp already has a title in mind. "It's kinda quite bold, but it gives away too much if I say the title", he teased. And as for where the film will sit in the series? It's still not entirely clear. "Where it went after Aliens to me, as a fan, was wrong". The new film will be "the triplet of the first two. There's a shitload missing as a fan that I would want to see".

He clearly means Earth or Aliens world. Both probably. Sisters, I'm just watching.

newbridge

Quote from: Replies From View on July 19, 2015, 07:35:21 PM
I assumed it was just sleeping or something.  Should it have been constantly eating?

No, but it's established earlier in the film that it enjoys killing any humans it comes across and yet it doesn't attack a defenseless Ripley. It had just mauled Lambert & Parker for no good reason. When she first notices it in the escape shuttle, its arm falls sort of limp like it is weakened or dying. Then when she is knocking it about with pressure vents or whatever it still appears unable to really attack her.

Quote from: Steven on July 19, 2015, 07:40:34 PM
There's a deleted scene where Ripley finds the alien has cocooned Dallas, so the life cycle has been achieved and having eaten the rest of the crew it was probably finding somewhere to go into stasis or something. The thing the always troubled me was how it manages to find the escape pod on a freighter that's about to self-destruct, obviously there's narrative reasons for tension but it's very fucking lucky. Had Ripley been into the pod before the escape? As I recall she goes back and forth for various things like for Jones the cat, maybe the alien was tracking her activity via whatever senses?

Well she last encounters it on her way to, and presumably near, the escape shuttle (before running away to try and stop the self-destruct), so I assumed it was over in that area and then just happened to crawl into that pod.

Your answer makes sense somewhat. I just watched that part 5+ times and in my opinion it clearly appears to be weak or dying. Maybe the original intent was that its life cycle was concluding, or that it could only survive a short time in the shuttle atmosphere (or was in the process molting again?) -- any of which may not be entirely consistent with the later sequels and the attributes the aliens have in those movies.

newbridge

Alternatively, maybe it was just because Ridley Scott made the wise decision of not showing too much of the alien costume as would have been required by the original script:

QuoteEXT. SPACE

The Nostromo drifts farther away from the shuttle-craft.
        Finally becomes a small point of light.
        Then it blows up.
        Transforms into expanding orange fireball.
        Pieces of metal flying in all directions.
        And then the refinery explodes.
        200,000,000 tons of fuel blasting silently into the cosmos.

INT. NARCISSUS

The shockwave hits the shuttle craft.
        Jolting and rattling everything within.
        Then all is quiet.
        Ripley unhooks herself from her straps.
        Rises, and goes to the back of the escape craft.
        Stares out through the porthole.
        Face bathed in orange light.

EXT. SPACE

Piece of debris float past.
        The boiling fireball fades into nothingness.
        The Nostromo has ceased to exist.

INT. NARCISSUS

Ripley watching the final destiny of her ship and crew mates.
        A very long moment.
        Then, behind her, the lethal hand emerges from deep shadow. 
        The Alien has been in the shuttle-craft all along.
        The cat yowls.

Ripley whirls.
        Finding herself facing the Creature.

Ripley's first thought is for the flamethrower.
        It lies on the deck next to the Alien.
        Next she glances around for a place to hide.
        Her eye falls on a small locker containing a pressure suit.
        The door standing open.
        She begins to edge toward the compartment.
        The Creature stands.
        Comes for her.
        Ripley dives for the open door.
        Hurls herself inside.
        Slams it shut.

INT. LOCKER

A clear glass panel in the door.
        The Alien puts its head up to the window.
        Peers in at Ripley.
        Their faces only two inches apart.
        The Alien looking at Ripley almost in curiosity.
        The moaning of the cat distracts it.

INT. NARCISSUS

The Alien moves to the pressurized cat box.
        Bends down and peers inside.
        The cat yowls louder as his container is lifted.

INT. LOCKER

Ripley knocks on the glass.
        Trying to distract the Creature from the cat.
        The Alien's face is instantly back at the window.
        Getting no more interference from her, the Creature
        returns to the cat box.
        Ripley looks around.
        Sees the pressure suit.
        Quickly begins to pull it on.

INT. NARCISSUS

The Alien picks up the cat box.
        Shakes it.
        The cat moans.

INT. LOCKER

Ripley is halfway into a pressure suit.

INT. NARCISSUS

The Creature throws the cat box down.
        Very hard.
        Picks it up again.
        Hammers it against the wall.
        Then jams it into a crevice.
        Begins to pound the container into the opening.
        The cat now beyond all hysteria.

INT. LOCKER

Ripley pulls on the helmet, latches it into place.
        Turns the oxygen valve.
        With a hiss, the suit fills itself.
        A rack on the wall contains a long metal rod.
        Ripley peels off the rubber tip.
        Revealing a sharp metal point.

INT. SPACE SUIT LOCKER

Ripley inhales.
        Kicks the door open.

INT. NARCISSUS

The Creature rises.
        Faces the locker.
        Catches the steel shaft through its midriff.
        The Alien clutches at the spear.
        Yellow acid begins to flow from the wound.
        Before the fluid can touch the floor...
        Ripley reaches back and pulls the switch.
        Blows the rear hatch.
        The atmosphere in the shuttle immediately sucked into space.
        The bleeding creature along with it.
        Ripley grabs a strut to keep from being pulled out.
        The Alien shoots past her.
        Grab's Ripley's ankle with an appendage.

EXT. NARCISSUS

Ripley now hanging halfway out of the shuttle-craft.
        The Alien clinging to her leg.
        She kicks at it with her free foot.
        The Creature holds fast.

INT. NARCISSUS

Ripley looks for any salvation.
        Grabs the hatch level.
        Yanks it.
        The hatch slams shut, closing Ripley safely inside.

EXT. NARCISSUS

The Alien still outside the shuttle-craft.
        Within the vacuum of space.
        The top of its appendage mashed into the closed hatch.

INT. NARCISSUS

Acid starts to foam along the base of the hatch.
        Eats away at the metal.
        Ripley stumbles forward to the controls.
        Pushes the ram jet lever.

EXT. NARCISSUS - OUTER SPACE

The Creature struggling.
        Jet exhaust located at the rear of the craft.
        The engines belch flame for a few seconds.
        Then shut off.
        Incinerating, the Alien tumbles slowly away into space.

INT. NARCISSUS

Ripley hurries to the rear hatch.
        Peers through the glass.

EXT. OUTER SPACE

The burned mass of the Alien drifts slowly away.
        Writhing, smoking.
        Tumbling into the distance.
        Pieces dropping off.
        The shape bloats, then bursts.
        Spray of particles in all directions.
        Then smoldering fragments dwindle into infinity.

INT. NARCISSUS - LATER

Now repressurized.
        Ripley is seated in the control chair.
        Calm and composed, almost cheerful.
        Cat purring in her lap.
        She dictates into a recorder.

RIPLEY
                  I should reach the frontier in
                  another five weeks.  With a
                  little luck the network will
                  pick me up...This is Ripley,
                  W564502460H, executive officer,
                  last survivor of the commercial
                  starship Nostromo signing off.
                         (pause)
                  Come on cat.

She switches off the recorder.
        Stares into space.

EXT. OUTER SPACE

The shuttle-craft Narcissus sails into the distance.

FADE OUT

THE END

Replies From View

Quote from: newbridge on July 19, 2015, 07:58:53 PM
No, but it's established earlier in the film that it enjoys killing any humans it comes across and yet it doesn't attack a defenseless Ripley. It had just mauled Lambert & Parker for no good reason. When she first notices it in the escape shuttle, its arm falls sort of limp like it is weakened or dying. Then when she is knocking it about with pressure vents or whatever it still appears unable to really attack her.

Your answer makes sense somewhat. I just watched that part 5+ times and in my opinion it clearly appears to be weak or dying. Maybe the original intent was that its life cycle was concluding, or that it could only survive a short time in the shuttle atmosphere (or was in the process molting again?) -- any of which may not be entirely consistent with the later sequels and the attributes the aliens have in those movies.

I honestly just assumed it was sleepy.  Ever been suddenly woken out of a deep sleep on a small shelf-like bed area?   You go "Aaargh what the" and fall off the bed thing, arms flailing, not being able to comprehend what a light source even is.

Steven

It crawled in there to have a sly wank, then when Ripley turned up in her pants it was jackpot, then when she noticed he was shuffling one off in there it was just acting embarrassed before lashing out.

Bad Ambassador

Aliens II: Cowboys and Aliens.
I saw the Assembly Cut of Alien3 recently, and it's now my favourite Alien film.

Dex Sawash

newbridge

Watched Aliens. It was fine. I thought they ruined the mystique of the original alien creature. The movie had none of the suspense or eeriness of the original, and was patently ridiculous at times, like the mechanized-suit fight and Ripley hanging onto a ladder to avoid getting sucked into the vacuum of space.

Too many plot holes for my liking. How did "the Company" even know about the aliens to put their alleged plan into motion? Why did the Company guy agree to go on such a dangerous mission himself? Why was it so important that Ripley went???

Plus, it had a kid. Cats > kids in movies.

Next up: Alien 3 and the fourth one.

Custard

If you can, watch the Assembly Cut of Alien 3

Faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr superior

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: newbridge on July 20, 2015, 03:13:51 AM

Too many plot holes for my liking. How did "the Company" even know about the aliens to put their alleged plan into motion? Why did the Company guy agree to go on such a dangerous mission himself? Why was it so important that Ripley went???

Did you watch the director's cut? It explains it better. The family went there with the understanding that there could be something valuable there that they could keep. The company would known about the aliens because of Ripley's testimony, although it wouldn't be until the bloke came back with the one on his face that they knew for sure. Ripley went purely because she needed to be in the film, although they make out that she is needed as an adviser since she had experience with the aliens.

The last 30 mins of Aliens are the most exciting in film history, imho. Genuinely stressful even after my 100th or so viewing.

Alien 3 is pretty bad but looks quite good compared to the 4th one.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: newbridge on July 20, 2015, 03:13:51 AM
The movie had none of the suspense or eeriness of the original

The Motion Tracker IS suspense.