Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:54:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Russell Brand Podcast (NEW SHIT with MATT MORGAN)

Started by BritishHobo, February 22, 2015, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Thomas

Their old podcasts have a special comedy place alongside Peep Show, for me, in that an episode will always cheer me up.

'Citin'. Good to do a new podcast.

Old Nehamkin

Aw, that's brilliant news, and about fucking time as well. Wasn't Russell talking about this over a year ago? Can't wait to hear him and Matt together again, anyway. Yay.

up_the_hampipe

I've never listened to Brand and Morgan. But considering the praise they get on here despite a general dislike of Russell Brand, I'll have to check it out.

BritishHobo

To be twice-weekly, apparently.

The great thing about Russ and Matt on the radio, especially if you're not a fan of Brand, is the way they keep each other grounded - they're constantly pricking at the important, theatrical way Brand acts, and poring over their most embarassing stories. It's a pretty thorough breaking-down of the way that the papers present Brand.

Leo2112

It would be even better to get Trevor Lock back again, doesn't look like that's happening though.

PlasticTom

Wonderful news, I'm sure it'll be great. I thought the Radio 2 show really lost its way towards the end due to too many guests which sort of led to Matt taking a backseat. Hopefully this is just them talking. Even that little 28 second clip on the link in the first post made me laugh :)

hedgehog90

I hope this isn't shit.
It'll be good to find out what Matt's been upto recently other than The Mimic.

George Oscar Bluth II

This is actually excellent news. Less revolutioning, more nonsense chatting please Russell.

I always really enjoyed the relationship between the two of them, Morgan seemed to really enjoy bringing Brand down to earth.

Am I right in thinking he'd gone from the radio show by the time of "Sachsgate"?

ajsmith

without Roy Skelton to bounce off any more, it'll be a travesty. We're talking Legacy of Reginald Perrin or Trail of the Pink Panther here.

SimonJT

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on February 22, 2015, 06:17:28 PM
This is actually excellent news. Less revolutioning, more nonsense chatting please Russell.

I always really enjoyed the relationship between the two of them, Morgan seemed to really enjoy bringing Brand down to earth.

Am I right in thinking he'd gone from the radio show by the time of "Sachsgate"?

Yep - he left a few weeks before, and Brand had a succession of celebrity co-hosts. It had already declined by that point - while Matt brings our the best in Russell, famous people often bring out the worst.

BritishHobo

Indeed. Ironically, I think their fall-out came about because Morgan didn't want his career to become known purely for controversy, after all the MTV Award stuff. So he's not on the show, Jonathan Ross takes his place, and Brand does the thing that's going to most marr his career.

I agree that leaning too heavily on celeb interviews was where the show started to lose it's way. I liked Noel ringing in, and I didn't mind the weird interviews they did with people like the owner of Moomin-Land - but the relationship between Russ and Matt was key to what made the show work, and I didn't give a fuck about what random celebrities had to say.

up_the_hampipe

Are there any best of compilations or certain shows that you Morgan/Brand fans would recommend?

Thomas

There are lots of scraps on YouTube, which is where I roamed before listening to the shows in full. They're better in context, of course, but they provide a good taster.

Here's one of my personal favourites, a canal boat adventure.

SimonJT

Honestly just start from the beginning - the earliest few shows available are quite short (they're in the 20 minute podcast format that the BBC used at the time), and by that point, if you like it,  you'll be hooked enough to listen to the full length episodes. I do think the show's best days were at the beginning, on 6 music - the show was more free, less bogged down with features, had a real warmth to it, and had fewer celebrity interviews, which were usually the worst part, whether Russell was trying to impress the interviewee or take the piss. Also Trev was there.

That sounds very criticial - I should say, the show was almost always great, right up to Matt's last episode, but those 6 Music shows did have a certain magic that was lost a bit when they went to Radio 2 and when Russell went to Hollywood. Through it all, though, the wit and warmth and chemistry that Russell and Matt have (and Noel G and Mr Gee too), always makes for joyous, hilarious radio - it came through in those XfM shows, that were a real mess in so many ways. I can't bloody wait.

Thomas

It was good when he
Spoiler alert
fell in love with his surfing instructor
[close]
, though.

SimonJT

Oh, God, yeah, there were loads of great bits - last time I listened to it, the Duncan Bannatyne bit had me in tears. The majority of the shows were always great, but inamongts it you got Russell showing off in front of Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen, plus sometimes some bullying of older guests.

Thomas

Quote from: SimonJT on February 22, 2015, 10:34:05 PM
the Duncan Bannatyne bit

Wow, yes, I'd forgotten about that. I'm laughing now, particularly thinking about the
Spoiler alert
ghost of the overboard sailor
[close]
making a phonecall.

Speaking of phonecalls, there was something involving a Spanish hotel waiter that turned a little sour.

SimonJT

That's the thing, I think - there were lots of hints of that sort of stuff before, but forgiven because 90% of the show was great. Without Matt, though, it was just 2 hours of obnoxiousness with a few Morrissey songs and an hourly news bulletin.

PlasticTom

Cooper

http://youtu.be/Y2YGYjbE7aw

Russell and Matt's boat adventure

http://youtu.be/gvhAiQh6Ed8

http://youtu.be/DE9VpLZHiOU

I love Matt mocking Russell for releasing locusts at gigs, rather than preparing comedic material.

Thomas

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: SimonJT on February 22, 2015, 10:27:57 PM
Honestly just start from the beginning - the earliest few shows available are quite short (they're in the 20 minute podcast format that the BBC used at the time), and by that point, if you like it,  you'll be hooked enough to listen to the full length episodes.

Yes, do this. They're all conveniently available here. Do not bother with the Talksport ones.

SimonJT

The Talksport ones are a mess, format-wise (someone posted a great summary of them on one of the older threads), but there's still enough good stuff in there I reckon. If you like the shows, by the time you've finished the BBC run, you'll probably be desperate enough for new episodes that you'll want to give them a chance anyway.

Old Nehamkin

Yeah, the Talksport ones are fine when it's just Russell and Matt talking away from the live audience, but it's a shame that that material is so awkwardly spliced up and distributed seemingly at random throughout the episodes. I was just a bit wary that a first-time listener might click the link I posted, start with the Talksport shows linked at the top of the page and be put off by the inept presentation. It's definitely better to start with the early 6music ones- both because they're really good and because there's lots of little running jokes and dynamics that build up over the run of shows.

DuncanC

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 22, 2015, 10:00:12 PM
Indeed. Ironically, I think their fall-out came about because Morgan didn't want his career to become known purely for controversy, after all the MTV Award stuff. So he's not on the show, Jonathan Ross takes his place, and Brand does the thing that's going to most marr his career.
Jonathan Ross drops in to the studio a few times in earlier shows, I think when Matt Morgan was still there, and lays into Brand for not being ruder/riskier/edgier.

Has anyone tried to salvage the TalkSport shows into a relatively coherent single edit?

BritishHobo

He dropped into Gervais and Merchant's radio show at one point aswell, and there's a fucking interminable section in the middle of an otherwise good episode where it's all about Ross, and there's some stuff about his penis being out or whatever.

Ringside

Such great news! I hope this is a long running affair.

hedgehog90

Did I read somewhere that the first one is out today?