Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:04:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Russell Brand Podcast (NEW SHIT with MATT MORGAN)

Started by BritishHobo, February 22, 2015, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

I listened to episodes three and four at work today. The homeless man with the cameraphone and the pursuit of the Hollywood mole had me sweating with stifled laughter.

I listen to another podcast sponsored by Squarespace, so it was fun to hear Matt's go at reading out their lines and Russ' inability to even remember the name.[nb]Square Meal and Square Peg.[/nb]

iamcoop

Quote from: Thomas on March 09, 2015, 09:42:35 PM
I listened to episodes three and four at work today. The homeless man with the cameraphone and the pursuit of the Hollywood mole had me sweating with stifled laughter.

I listen to another podcast sponsored by Squarespace, so it was fun to hear Matt's go at reading out their lines and Russ' inability to even remember the name.[nb]Square Meal and Square Peg.[/nb]

I enjoyed Russell constantly referring to it as "Square Meal" which is an entirely different company altogether.

Brand's just landed a new weekly show on XFM. Not sure if that will mean the end of the podcasts. Sunday nights.

Oh I've just read the full story and the XFM show is just highlights from these very podcasts. Ignore the fuck out of me.

DuncanC

So an edit of both podcasts of the week into a single radio show? I hope someone has to work out how to combine the two poems.

TIAL

Quote from: wokeonawhalescock on March 11, 2015, 08:36:37 AM
Oh I've just read the full story and the XFM show is just highlights from these very podcasts. Ignore the fuck out of me.

From a purely selfish point if view I'm pleased about this as it means they now have a schedule to stick to with the podcasts.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: TIAL on March 11, 2015, 12:41:21 PM
From a purely selfish point if view I'm pleased about this as it means they now have a schedule to stick to with the podcasts.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if they ended up just ditching Audioboom and moving to XFM properly. These podcasts have been very good so far, but I'd love to hear them doing actual live radio in a studio again. I reckon they're at their best in that context.

Mobius

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on March 11, 2015, 08:15:08 PM
To be honest I wouldn't mind if they ended up just ditching Audioboom and moving to XFM properly. These podcasts have been very good so far, but I'd love to hear them doing actual live radio in a studio again. I reckon they're at their best in that context.

Yeah I think the only thing missing is the intensity. When Russ is live there's always a feeling he's on the brink of saying or doing something mad. These are a big relaxed. It's odd hearing them swear.

How are they going to do highlights? The shows aren't that long, and basically consist of a handful of long anecdotes.

Beagle 2

I've always been on the fence about Brand, I find him a fascinating character but his stand up pretty much leaves me cold. Never bothered with his podcasts at all, but I took a gamble on these and they're fucking great! It's nice to hear him in full daft juvenile show-off mode being tempered by a sobering influence capable of steering proceedings and chipping in with his own funny bits. I've been in proper giggles at a lot of it, the mole story being a real highlight. I loved Matt sounding like a grounded teenager mumbling an apology when he did his prerecorded advert following on from the one I'd just listened to.

I should probably go back and check out the old ones.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 13, 2015, 04:39:34 PM

You definitely should! The 6music/ Radio 2 shows are some of my favourite audio comedy ever. They've got a really warm, likeable atmosphere with loads of great anecdotes, funny characters and inspired little riffs. And they're all conveniently available here.

Mobius

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 13, 2015, 04:39:34 PM
I've always been on the fence about Brand, I find him a fascinating character but his stand up pretty much leaves me cold. Never bothered with his podcasts at all, but I took a gamble on these and they're fucking great! It's nice to hear him in full daft juvenile show-off mode being tempered by a sobering influence capable of steering proceedings and chipping in with his own funny bits. I've been in proper giggles at a lot of it, the mole story being a real highlight. I loved Matt sounding like a grounded teenager mumbling an apology when he did his prerecorded advert following on from the one I'd just listened to.

I didn't like his stand up, then listened to all the radio stuff and absolutely loved  all of it, then tried his stand up again and it was still shit.

i love this bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIFPrbrY6TI

Thomas

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on March 13, 2015, 04:56:02 PM
You definitely should! The 6music/ Radio 2 shows are some of my favourite audio comedy ever. They've got a really warm, likeable atmosphere with loads of great anecdotes, funny characters and inspired little riffs. And they're all conveniently available here.

I agree entirely. Anybody uncertain about Brand based on his other work - as I was - should give the old (and new) podcasts a go. They're fantastic, and they've brightened many a day of mine.

Leo2112

Interesting anecdotes coming through about the post-Radio 2 years.  The Brand X shows sound as chaotic behind the scenes as they did onscreen.

Smart move to leave Noel out of these for now as well (even though he sounds desperate to be involved).  The Brand/Morgan dynamic is the crux of the show and it's gradually becoming re-established back to former glories.

Old Nehamkin

Just listened to ep 6. Impressed by Matt knowing off-hand that Chris Morris was a Zoology student.

Also that zoo documentary they were talking about genuinely sounded really interesting. Might have a look for that.

East of Eden

Forgot how funny this was.

Anyone else think the Cardinal Burns skit ("aaaah I saw Jason Stathomm, punched him in the stomach") has a similar 'sound' to this?

Just in case you were interested in seeing where they're recording these new podcasts, Russell's put a handful of brief video clips up on Youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXJ1c8vNgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fPYQ633bEw

Ringside

Has anyone heard the XFM stuff? and is it confirmed that it's rehashed podcast material?

Cheers.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Ringside on March 17, 2015, 09:06:33 PM
Has anyone heard the XFM stuff? and is it confirmed that it's rehashed podcast material?

Cheers.

I listened to a bit the other night and yeah, it was just stuff from the podcasts.

Old Nehamkin

SimonJT

Slightly pinching myself still that this is back - I really never thought it will, we've had a few false dawns, with the original XfM shows, and the announcement about a year ago that seemed to go nowhere. Here we are though, with 7 episodes already - I feel quite spoilt.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: SimonJT on March 19, 2015, 10:00:22 PM
Slightly pinching myself still that this is back - I really never thought it will, we've had a few false dawns, with the original XfM shows, and the announcement about a year ago that seemed to go nowhere. Here we are though, with 7 episodes already - I feel quite spoilt.

Yeah. I remember in the two years that passed between the Andrew Sachs thing and the Talksport podcasts I really did just assume that Russell and Matt weren't going to do anything together again. The Radio 2 show ended in such a weird, depressing way with the prolonged, unexplained Mattless period followed by all the overblown Daily Mail shit and it seemed at the time like that was just going to be it. I thought they must have had a permanent falling out and Russell was just going to become this guy who starred in mediocre Hollywood films while Matt was never heard from again, and that was a real bummer.

Obviously that turned out not to be the case and there have been some nice little bits and pieces that have come out in the last few years- the XFM reunion, Matt's Trews appearances, that time Matt and Noel filled in for Dermot O' Leary on Radio 2 for some reason- but these actual regular podcasts are pretty much what I've been waiting for since I was 16. It's really great that this show has become a thing that exists again. I hope it goes on for quite a bit. That would be good.

BritishHobo

The vague references to Sachsgate in the episode before last made me unreasonably happy. "I wasn't there that day!"

I just love getting to hear them talk about all the things that've happened in the last few years. Katy Perry, the revolution, Trews. Matt even talked briefly about The Mimic and Terry Mynott last week, which made me unreasonably happy.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 20, 2015, 02:20:32 AM
The vague references to Sachsgate in the episode before last made me unreasonably happy. "I wasn't there that day!"

I just love getting to hear them talk about all the things that've happened in the last few years. Katy Perry, the revolution, Trews. Matt even talked briefly about The Mimic and Terry Mynott last week, which made me unreasonably happy.

Yes, exactly this. It's like some statute of limitations has been lifted and we're being let back into this little world that's been closed off for the best part of 7 years. Hearing the gaps from that period being slowly filled in is weirdly satisfying. The anecdote about the GQ awards and its aftermath from the latest episode is a good example- it's exactly the kind of thing I missed from the old podcasts, getting to hear the odd, unglamorous behind the scenes perspective of these stories detached from all the overblown media bollocks.

BritishHobo

Yes! I forgot about the GQ Awards. They've got a way of making things as big as that sound like brilliant little teenage misadventures. Going down a massive escalator and getting scolded by Dylan Jones like he's a school dinnerlady.

This is why people's view of Brand as an inflated egotist annoys me. They're so properly down-to-earth on the podcasts. Just stories about Russ taking his goddaughter to the zoo.

SimonJT

Russell is an egotist, but he knows he is, and is happy - delighted, even - to laugh at himself. That's what makes him great, I think.

Beagle 2

The anecdote with the Turkish cab driver that ended:
Spoiler alert
"To be honest that pisses me off more than the stuff with the kids"
[close]
made me involuntarily howl on the bus. It's brilliant for sudden bursts of laughter, this podcast.