Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Russell Brand Podcast (NEW SHIT with MATT MORGAN)

Started by BritishHobo, February 22, 2015, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Is it just me, or has Matt's success with The Mimic changed the dynamic between them? In a good way I mean.

There were times towards the end of the Radio 2 shows where you could palpably hear their friendship becoming strained, and whilst nearly always extremely funny, some shows could border on the uncomfortable with the merciless ripping of each other, you could tell how exasperated Matt had become with Russell's behaviour and merciless pursuit of of fame.

I feel like Russell's Hollywood failure, and Matts success independent of Russell has kind of levelled everything out, like there's more mutual respect now and Matt has a lot more room to breathe, as opposed to Russell telling an anecdote about himself and Matt chipping in to take the piss/be the voice of reason.

For some reason I found the revelation that Russell had called Matt in a panic for jokes before Comic relief oddly touching.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 20, 2015, 02:30:23 PM
The anecdote with the Turkish cab driver that ended:
Spoiler alert
"To be honest that pisses me off more than the stuff with the kids"
[close]
made me involuntarily howl on the bus. It's brilliant for sudden bursts of laughter, this podcast.

Very reminiscent of the Armando Iannucci Shows barber sketches, that bit.

Thomas

My brother and I work at the same place; he drives us in of a morning and home of an evening. I use my fangled phone and his fangled car to play these podcasts over the fangled system, and he has become a fan.

I'm enjoying all the niche Chris Morris discussion points.

Leo2112

Matt Morgan's Dalai Lama voice is truly hilarious.

Repeater

Mobius

Honestly I think a lot if it is just them being older, Matt having a family, and Russ having come down to earth a bit. They've been best mates for so long and are so similar, that dynamic never goes away.

I've just realised I'm 3 episodes behind on this I'm going to have a brilliant saturday basically.

SimonJT

In the last episode, Russell wondering if the Luke whose email they read was the Luke that used to call into the 6 Music show really cheered me. It's nice that he remembers details like that.

BritishHobo

That Luke's commented in the Matt Morgan Appreciation Group a few times. I always loved the moment in the original shows where Matt jokingly challenged him to a fight.

Old Nehamkin

Liked the immediate implosion of the "telephone neighbours" item and Matt unsuccessfully trying to lure Russell into the Audible advert.

Quote from: SimonJT on March 22, 2015, 07:59:40 PM
In the last episode, Russell wondering if the Luke whose email they read was the Luke that used to call into the 6 Music show really cheered me. It's nice that he remembers details like that.

Yes, it's sort of comforting to hear minor details from as far back as the 6music days still being referenced, like the very brief mention of Cooper in the latest episode. I liiiike it.

Thomas

I've started thinking of Cooper whenever, on here, I'm briefly halted by the forum because 'a new reply has been posted'.

hedgehog90

Or when you spend 10 minutes writing a post on Tapatalk, click send, but the spinner just goes on forever and the post is discarded.
Then you take a moment and realise your post was nothing but racist slurs and links to rotten.com
Cooper, you're brilliant!

Thomas

I reckon Cooper cancelled Russ' call because his telephone neighbour is Andrew Sachs.

Dusty Substance

Not much else to add other than echoing the positive comments about having the three of them back.

As mentioned by Matt in the latest episode, it was genuinely odd to hear them swearing, not in a good or bad way, but just took a little getting used to.

Any ideas who the 'beeped out person' was, as mentioned in the anecdote about them going feral in the woods (episode five)? They'd definitely spoken about this story on the radio shows but I can't recall in which episode. Might the third person have been Trevor Lock? Possibly Russell's former, one-time comedy partner Karl Theobald? Either way, it couldn't have been anyone too big/litigious.

I really hope they don't change the format too much - Just the two of them bouncing off one another with the occasional email and DIY jingle is perfect.

BritishHobo

I like the fact that their attempts to call Noel have so far been largely disastrous. They could quite easily just schedule a time when both parties would be free to have a phone conversation[nb]I'm convinced there's an episode of the original radio shows where Russ and Matt bicker about whether it counts as 'having a guest on' if they're just on the phone - now that I type it though, I might be thinking of Adam and Joe.[/nb], but it just wouldn't be the same.

Thomas

No, I think you're right, 'Hobo. I agree, about the ramshackle phonecalls to Noel. He's a witty man, but I like that his responses are sometimes delayed and disgruntled. Little patches of dead air and then Russ' brilliant giggling.

Matt's attempt at the advert in this latest episode had me laughing on the bus, to the concerned glances of a woman down the other end. I tried to subtly signify that I was listening to a Humorous Radio Thing by way of touching an earphone whilst laughing, but that just makes it look like I find songs hilarious. I'm an alien hearing music for the first time.

BritishHobo

I'm an alien, I'm a little alien...

Oh yeah, I dunno if anyone mentioned the fact that Russ got them in trouble with their sponsors to the effect that Matt's had to do it separately at the start of the show, but that was fantastic.

MOLLOY

Quote from: SimonJT on February 25, 2015, 09:20:46 PM
God, I love that "Life's a beach man", bit - it's not something I particularly remembered from the first time I listened to the shows, but last time I did, it had me in pain with laughter. The best bits:

Richard & Judy, maaaaan
Jason Weathercoates
Trev's stories (boots coming through ceilings)
Summer Mugging
Duncan Bannatyne
Russell falling in love with his surfing instructor
The Boat Trip anecdote
The TV debacle anecdote

Any others I've momentarily forgotten?

The guy who called in about pigeons keeping him awake by cooing outside his window.
Trev driving a date to see Romeo and Juliette, asking his date if she believes in the Devil, then crashing.
Trev and Rus doing a role play "Do you want to speak to Darg?" is possibly my favourite because it's so psychopathically stupid. Like...to the point of mental illness.
I also really liked the Will Self interview, which was fascinating.
I'll think of more...there's so much gold in those shows.

iamcoop

Quote from: MOLLOY on March 24, 2015, 10:55:23 PM

The guy who called in about pigeons keeping him awake by cooing outside his window.
Trev driving a date to see Romeo and Juliette, asking his date if she believes in the Devil, then crashing.
Trev and Rus doing a role play "Do you want to speak to Darg?" is possibly my favourite because it's so psychopathically stupid. Like...to the point of mental illness.
I also really liked the Will Self interview, which was fascinating.
I'll think of more...there's so much gold in those shows.

Russell's van story ("here, what we gonna do about this van then it's really spooked me")
Noel's boast about having more money than James Blunt
Russell trying to bang that film execs mother in law at a Hollywood party
Matt robbing football stickers off a dying boy
C3PO interview ("I BET YOU'VE GOT A WILLY LIKE A GOLD PENCIL")
Trevor's pike story/Mouse drowning story

So many golden bits from the 6music days.

SimonJT

Bit of a scary moment this week, when Russell suggests calling up Paloma Faith, but he seemed to forget, so it was another great episode.

Old Nehamkin

I really loved Matt pointing out that for all his Katy Perry-marrying, film-starring Hollywood antics, Russell's whole frame of reference still seems to be dominated by these specifically naff, outdated British pop culture figures like Ian Beale and Des Lynam. That tickled me.

Quote from: SimonJT on March 29, 2015, 07:02:01 PM
Bit of a scary moment this week, when Russell suggests calling up Paloma Faith, but he seemed to forget, so it was another great episode.

You know, while the over-saturation of guests in the later radio 2 days sometimes became really detrimental to the Russ-Matt dynamic, I honestly think Russell did pull off some really enjoyable interviews over the run of the show. From memory, the conversations with Guy Pearce, Jon Ronson, Oliver Postgate, Barbara Windsor, Roger Lloyd-Pack, Richard Griffiths and even David Icke were all genuinely interesting listens. And who could forget ol' Jimmy? Obviously with these podcasts there's less time for them to work with and you want Russell and Matt interacting to make up the bulk of the show, but as long as it's kept succinct enough I wouldn't mind a phone-in every now and then.

SimonJT

Not with Paloma Faith though - if it had been Tinie Tempah, I wouldn't have minded, although I might have been a little bit trepidatious. I'd forgotten abut Guy Pearce, though, that was a highlight.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on March 29, 2015, 08:11:15 PM
You know, while the over-saturation of guests in the later radio 2 days sometimes became really detrimental to the Russ-Matt dynamic, I honestly think Russell did pull off some really enjoyable interviews over the run of the show. From memory, the conversations with Guy Pearce, Jon Ronson, Oliver Postgate, Barbara Windsor, Roger Lloyd-Pack, Richard Griffiths and even David Icke were all genuinely interesting listens. And who could forget ol' Jimmy?
Or the man from Moominworld who got pissed off with the sexual innuendos and hung up in a huff.

East of Eden

Is there somewhere where I can download all the old shows? Like 1 nice easy torrent?

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: East of Eden on March 30, 2015, 02:26:40 AM
Is there somewhere where I can download all the old shows? Like 1 nice easy torrent?

Check yer PMs.

amnesiac

really sorry to butt in, and I'm not being aggressive but where are you hearing all of this? I have an Andoid phone

*EDIT IT's ok I found it, something called Audio Boom. Listening now in reverse order. This is brilliant. Please ignore me.

Repeater

SimonJT

In today's episode, Matt
Spoiler alert
mentioned his breakup in Australia, and Russell didn't mock him for it.
[close]
Quite disappointed tbh

Repeater

cyanidemint

Quote from: Repeater on April 01, 2015, 11:37:58 PM
Any way to download these shows?

Yes there is. Here's the method I used for E11:

1. Go to https://audioboom.com/channel/therussellbrandpodcast
2. In Google Chrome, right click website and select 'Inspect Element'
3. in Chrome Inspector, select the 'Network' tab
4. Click latest episode link (not play button)
5. On episode page, click play, and watch for movement in the Chrome 'network' tab.
6. Right click the element that is continually loading the page, in this case, an mp3 file named 'e11-sat-bolt-upright.mp3'. Right click it and select 'open in new tab'
7. An audio player should pop up. Right click and select 'Save as..'