Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:46:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Russell Brand Podcast (NEW SHIT with MATT MORGAN)

Started by BritishHobo, February 22, 2015, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Quote from: Mr Faineant on November 14, 2017, 07:52:53 PM
I found this today, Opie and anthony with Louis, Norton, and Jim Jeffries shitting on Russell Brand. Although the incident discussed was shit, I found the general criticism quite irritating. Sweeping generalizations based on a shit bit. He has entertained me at far greater length (specifically on radio) than any of them, and with arguably more originality.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IoKdd4XEAEM

Fuck 'em. They'll never be good enough to make it behind the GLASS PANEL!

Dr Rock

It's a clip from around the time though isn't it? They're just criticising it so they can play the bits of the radio show because it was in the news at the time. But yes, fuck them, Brand is funnier than all of them put together (Louis maybe apart, but I can't make out him saying anything), and taking the moral high ground for phoning up an old actor, when they have just (reportedly) been giving Louis mostly a pass? Fuck off.

Sin Agog

There's a similar clip from Stern at the time.  This is their first impression of Brand, and who didn't think he was a back-combed wanker shticking his way into slebrity back then?  I'm still having to convince so-called right-minded liberals that he's actually an alright guy constantly trying to make himself better.  It takes a lot of rewiring to come around on him, I guess, and who has that much time to put into a famous person you don't even initially like?

Russ was later on O&A, I think only the once, and it was alright, I guess, a little awkward.  He really shone on his various trips to see Howard Stern, though.  Indulged pretty much any question he had to ask, no matter how personal. 

Dr Rock

Did Stern take any moral high ground when discussing the Manuel incident? That would be a laugh.

QuoteBetween 1990 and 2004, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) fined owners of radio station licensees that carried The Howard Stern Show a total of $2.5 million for content it considered to be indecent.

And that's not including encouraging fans to interrupt often serious news reports by shouting 'Baba Booey!' (hilarious).

Sin Agog

I think, like O&A, he was more morally outraged by Brand's [perceived] unfunniness on the MMAs that went down around the same time than anything else.  Wasn't his best material ever, from what I can remember.  Just some soft blows to George Bush and the Jonas Bros.  Oh, I recall Chris Rock standing up for Brand when Stern was trying to start something.  He said pretty matter of factly something like, "No, that is a funny man.  That's an impossible gig, but he is definitely funny."  Which I remember thinking was cool, as Rock is a total comedian nerd (like he could probably name who played the Catskills on any given day in the summer of 1953), so he saw past the hair the way most of us didn't at first.

Repeater

Sin Agog

Really?  I used to love it when they'd interview a Moomin lady or Catweazle or something.

Maybe less guests who are just there to listen to Russ wax on about societal alienation or some such noise and more Catweazles.

EDIT: Also, mosts guests end up being prime fodder for Matt to engage in a spot of piss-taking, which is justification enough to keep having them on.

Repeater

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 14, 2017, 11:10:40 PM
EDIT: Also, mosts guests end up being prime fodder for Matt to engage in a spot of piss-taking, which is justification enough to keep having them on.

Yes. Matt dryly taking the piss out of Russell's interviews is a great source of comedy. I always look forward to his comments afterwards.

PlasticTom

He was a bit dull.
That said, some of the interviews have been a joy. The "laconic" Dr Jo Cook from Ep26 (starts at 1:17:45) is maybe my favourite thing in this whole run. She was hilariously dismissive of Russell, and Matt's interjections were brilliant. "Jo, what you need to say is "That's a really good question Russell" to anything he says...  "That's a good question - I've never thought about that in my years of study..."

Dr Rock

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 14, 2017, 11:22:49 PM
Yes. Matt dryly taking the piss out of Russell's interviews is a great source of comedy. I always look forward to his comments afterwards.

Yup, same here. Their new running joke of slagging off the other one's interview questions is well worth the interviews, which I don't find boring anyway.

Quote from: PlasticTom on November 14, 2017, 11:27:40 PM
He was a bit dull.
That said, some of the interviews have been a joy. The "laconic" Dr Jo Cook from Ep26 (starts at 1:17:45) is maybe my favourite thing in this whole run. She was hilariously dismissive of Russell, and Matt's interjections were brilliant. "Jo, what you need to say is "That's a really good question Russell" to anything he says...  "That's a good question - I've never thought about that in my years of study..."

The ultimate example of what we're talking about, yes. Matt's withering knack for puncturing Russell's garrulous pomposity is fantastic - Russ cracking up as he does so adds to the general air of endearing hilarity.

"Say 'That's a really good reference, Russell.'"

Sin Agog

Could barely breathe during that segment.

I love how whimsical and thrown-together these interviews are.  Like they might be talking about cocopops one day, and then the next week Gareth has suddenly lined-up the inventor of cocopops on the phone.  So, so much better than just drab famous people, and not something I can remember too many other radio shows doing.  They're a risk (I haven't heard the boring interview in this last week's episode so can't comment on that), but usually full of surprises.  Like remember when they called up a guy who wanted to start a grey squirrelgeddon, only for him to rant about Americans for most of the interview?  Love those moments.  Here's the one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NSpS5_lcRo

Mr Faineant

I love how much Russell seems to enjoy being made fun of by Matt. Seems genuinely delighted by it. I also get the impression that he finds "having his feelings hurt" by anyone else intolerable, which makes the responses to matt's acerbic wit all the more lovely.

SteveDave

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 14, 2017, 11:10:40 PM
Really?  I used to love it when they'd interview a Moomin lady or Catweazle or something.

I'm still working my way through the Radio 2 podcasts and the Moomin lady was on a few episodes ago. As I stopped my iPod (other mp3 players are available) this morning, the son of the inventor of The Smurfs was on.

Quote from: Mr Faineant on November 15, 2017, 03:27:33 AM
I love how much Russell seems to enjoy being made fun of by Matt. Seems genuinely delighted by it. I also get the impression that he finds "having his feelings hurt" by anyone else intolerable, which makes the responses to matt's acerbic wit all the more lovely.

It's an endearing trait you don't really find anywhere else in Russell's work, hence why people unfamiliar with his radio output often express bafflement when you declare that his narcissism is tolerable - loveable, even - because it's undermined by a huge dollop of mocking self-awareness.

If you've never heard him laughing gleefully at Matt's affectionate piss-takes, then I understand why you might regard him as a strutting arsehole.

When Russell laughs at Matt's barbs, it's not a disingenuous form of "Oh, listen to me laughing at my own expense, aren't I great?" It's the comfortable laughter of someone who fully agrees with the truth of what his friend is saying. There's so much trust and honesty in that relationship, it's lovely.

Dr Rock

Ja'moke

Well said, Ballad. It's a joy to have these two back on the radio. Interesting that Russell said in the latest episode that they're on a week by week contract. I hope it doesn't disappear any time soon!

Mr Faineant

Exactly right. The openness and trust in their relationship is extreme. Some of the stuff they talk about, like shitting in front of each other and showing each other very private things, etc. I've never been that open with anyone. Gee commented once that he will never be as close to them as they are to each other, sharing such intimate life details. It's a bit weird, but quite nice.

There's been a few comments that make me think it won't last long. First it was that he was only doing it to promote his tour, then they did something that management found objectionable, so started watching more closely (no idea what), then said only doing it to promote his book, and now the week to week comment. Add the new time of sexual misconduct reparations, and I have to assume someone's got something to say about him that isn't flattering. Will this be his ultimate undoing? I don't get the impression he's a sex pest, but he is very flirtatious and touchy, and was a sex addict...it wouldn't surprise me to find out that someone found his advances a bit much. I remember on radio 2, during the living in Hollywood time, he did an impromptu song that said something along the lines of "naughty mr prickle fingers, look at what you've done, grabbing pink's boobies, and touching christina's bum."

Sin Agog

Topsy turvy naked neighbour was the best ending to one of these shows yet.

Sin Agog

Also going back to the interviews again, I love how much Russell seems to genuinely try to wind up some of his guests.  I got the impression that both the Druid and the Cult guy left their conversations much more frustrated people than they were before they began, and that amuses us dreadfully so.

arpster

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 16, 2017, 11:18:50 PM
It's an endearing trait you don't really find anywhere else in Russell's work, hence why people unfamiliar with his radio output often express bafflement when you declare that his narcissism is tolerable - loveable, even - because it's undermined by a huge dollop of mocking self-awareness.

If you've never heard him laughing gleefully at Matt's affectionate piss-takes, then I understand why you might regard him as a strutting arsehole.

When Russell laughs at Matt's barbs, it's not a disingenuous form of "Oh, listen to me laughing at my own expense, aren't I great?" It's the comfortable laughter of someone who fully agrees with the truth of what his friend is saying. There's so much trust and honesty in that relationship, it's lovely.

in the shell of a nut......Russ's belly laugh responses to Matt's piss taking are probably my favourite part of what is for me an unmissable show..

needs less 'majesty' though...as spellbinding as Russell's impromptu verbal gymnastics are, the bit about honeycombs and larvae always seem to coincide with me eating sausage on toast....off-putting and no mistake

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 20, 2017, 10:43:28 PM
Topsy turvy naked neighbour was the best ending to one of these shows yet.

Yeah was genuinely fucking great "Toby?". The phone call with the cult bloke from Lancashire was bloody brilliant as well. Lovely stuff. I really hope they don't decide to fuck it off anytime soon.

c

RB's busy testing out a new TV show at the moment. It's a bit like Jeremy Kyle, but with him in charge.

PlasticTom

Oh Lord, funniest "majesty..." yet. The build-up and suppressed giggles had me on the edge of my seat but I thought he might not actually go through with it. Tears of laughter - these shows must never end.

Mr Faineant

I liked the guy's response too.

I don't larticularly like the majesty thing, but i do quite like him bringing it out on an unsuspecting guest. It's a mental thing to just hear out of the clear blue sky.

arpster

yep, the build-up was funny as fuck..Majesty tourette's itching to get out.....loved the Chinese folk song at the end of the show btw...an unexpectedly beautiful moment

Ja'moke

"When you told them to 'get out' I thought you was going to mention Tibet."

Lovely callback to the old Radio 2 days.

Ja'moke

"There was no better feeling than going to work (or school) with fully talc'd up genitals" made me burst out laughing in public today as I walked the frost-caked streets of Hull.