Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Russell Brand Podcast (NEW SHIT with MATT MORGAN)

Started by BritishHobo, February 22, 2015, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ieXush2i

Sin Agog

He was on the Brian Gittins podcast awhile back.  Seems to be chipper enough, and he somehow managed to crowbar a Peru reference or two in there.  (Is he the real-life Paddington bear?).

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: (Ex poster) on December 13, 2017, 10:23:15 AM
Whatever did happen to Trevor Lock?

He's been at the Fringe the last few years doing a mostly improvised show called Trevor Lock's Community Circle. It's really, really funny.

ieXush2i

Yeah, I saw him at the Camden Head about 6 years ago or so and it was a good routine - very much his own style.

So how did Brand go from "Trevor Is Innocent" to Lock being discharged from the show?

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: (Ex poster) on December 13, 2017, 11:44:09 AM
So how did Brand go from "Trevor Is Innocent" to Lock being discharged from the show?

As far as I know nobody involved has ever gone into detail about why Trevor left the show, but it happened about six months after the charges against him were dropped so I don't know if there's any reason to assume that it was directly related to that. Trevor appeared as a phone-in guest on Russell and Matt's 2013 XFM reunion show, so it seems unlikely that either of them have changed their position on his innocence.

jobotic

What was he accused of doing then?

I saw him in Edinburgh and Faversham (?) years back and he was great.

ieXush2i

A 20 year old woman said she went to Brand's Edinburgh flat for a party after meeting him in a bar. There, she was spiked and raped by Lock.

hedgehog90

Quote from: (Ex poster) on December 13, 2017, 11:44:09 AM

I remember listening to that way back when, possibly live, and thinking it was all a funny bit.
As if Trevor was off ill that day, but they thought it was amusing to repeatedly imply he had been accused of a serious crime, while insisting his innocence.

It took me a good few years to realise the legal dispute was real and quite serious, and led to his departure from the show.

Sin Agog

What was particularly hilarious (for me, not for Lock) was how it all came right off the back of a running bit of accusing Trevor of going all Bundy on the comely Italian student staying at his gaff.  My theory is that, though they liked him well enough, Trev's clear middle-class upbringing occasionally stunted Matt and Russ' natural flow, so they, either consciously or unconsciously, Pete Bested the poor sod.  The immediate few episodes after Trev went on hiatus were crackling with anecdote after nanecdote.  Maybe the guys noticed the pace had picked up and felt like they should just stick with their new double act dynamic?

Sin Agog

He always spiked the fudge.

c

ieXush2i

Quote from: c on December 14, 2017, 12:43:32 PM
Easy, didn't someone say charges were dropped?

I was following on from what the accuser said, and that's what they said.

Charges were dropped, but that's quite common; it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Dr Rock

It means the CPS didn't think they had a 51% chance or higher of a successful conviction, so they didn't take it to court and charges were dropped. Not a system I think should be the way things are done, but they are. With any case like this, that decision could be based on lack of evidence, or that a jury will not likely believe the case was proven beyond reasonable doubt. And it's a very hard thing to prove beyond reasonable doubt if the person admits to sex but says consent was obtained (if that's what his defence was).

Any reason to think he did or didn't do it?

c

Quote from: (Ex poster) on December 14, 2017, 02:37:47 PM
I was following on from what the accuser said, and that's what they said.

Charges were dropped, but that's quite common; it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

We have presumption of innocence in this country. It is one of those pesky 'cornerstones of civilisation'. You've also made a libellous statement, so I'd hope Lock isn't reading and in a bad mood. 

BritishHobo

This isn't meant to be a reason for anyone to think either way, but Brand covers the whole thing at length in one of the Booky Wooks, and heavily maintains Lock's innocence. If I remember correctly, didn't they also do that on the radio? I'm sure the whole time Trevor was away because of the case, they opened each episode with a short statement explaining that they couldn't say anything about it but that they all stood by Trevor and believed he didn't do it.

I couldn't be less qualified to say either way, but I'm finding it interesting to note that at the time, I simply took it as a given that he definitely hadn't done it. Not that he was innocent until proven guilty, but that he just was innocent, period.

ieXush2i

Quote from: c on December 14, 2017, 04:23:14 PM
We have presumption of innocence in this country. It is one of those pesky 'cornerstones of civilisation'. You've also made a libellous statement, so I'd hope Lock isn't reading and in a bad mood.

Quaking.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 14, 2017, 02:45:39 PM
It means the CPS didn't think they had a 51% chance or higher of a successful conviction, so they didn't take it to court and charges were dropped. Not a system I think should be the way things are done, but they are. With any case like this, that decision could be based on lack of evidence, or that a jury will not likely believe the case was proven beyond reasonable doubt. And it's a very hard thing to prove beyond reasonable doubt if the person admits to sex but says consent was obtained (if that's what his defence was).

Any reason to think he did or didn't do it?

Or the woman could have withdrawn the charges, for any number of reasons.

Dr Rock

Quote from: (Ex poster) on December 14, 2017, 08:48:29 PM

The police/cps will often/usually prosecute anyway, if they are more than 50/50 sure they'll get a conviction. If, for example, a woman says she was raped, the guy admits it, then they make up and she asks for the charges to be dropped, that's not going to happen. They want those conviction rates to keep rising for one thing, that's partly why they don't pursue cases they might lose, because the figures look bad. The woman in the Ched Evans case did not want to press any charges for example.

mmm

Quote from: (Ex poster) on December 14, 2017, 08:48:29 PM

Or it didn't happen.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Repeater

This week's episode, the live one, was horrendous. Russ at his obnoxious worst.

notjosh

His reaction to the Trevor Lock incident might take on a different light if all the stories I've heard about Russell Brand are made public and turn out to be true. From what I hear it's approaching the point of 'open secret' in the industry. *Just what I've been hearing, I don't know anything.

ieXush2i

One of the first stories in My Booky Wook is a tale of him, as a 3 or 4 year old, manipulating a woman into being naked in front of him...

That entire book is about a man fucking over his friends and people he works with because he "just wants to make people laugh". One of his friends has to leave the country after moving here because Brand fucks up a work project, and it just gets shrugged off.

It would not surprise me at all if John Noel made a few stories go away, a few NDAs signed.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: (Ex poster) on December 20, 2017, 04:59:58 PM
One of the first stories in My Booky Wook is a tale of him, as a 3 or 4 year old, manipulating a woman into being naked in front of him...

Someone should have arrested that twisted toddler!

ieXush2i

It's more an illustrative story about how manipulative and self-seeking he is, especially in the pursuit of sex, as he himself admits in the telling of the story.