Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Russell Brand Podcast (NEW SHIT with MATT MORGAN)

Started by BritishHobo, February 22, 2015, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

My uni's library has very handily provided boards on the inside of cubicle doors for people to write on, presumably to cut down on grafitti, and somebody's written 'Pin Pin!' on one of them. The hype is real, kids.

Christ this is a tedious story. Fuck it, post.

Ringside

I've got a bad feeling about this. I hope something gets sorted soon.

One of my favourite Russell / Matt moments which ALWAYS makes me laugh, is when Russ was talking about getting beaten up by skinheads and having to hide in the bushes til they'd gone. He said all he could hear was the arcade games, and goes into a silly voice talking about those machines that you put 2p in but they never fall. After finishing his foolish-sounding rant Matt says "well if you were talking like that, I'm not surprised they beat you up".

TIAL

I really hope this works out but I also have a bad feeling. Russell seemed close to not presenting his Radio 2 shows at times due to his occasional tantrums but he always did it. I wonder if the fact that it's a smaller platform (probably more full of yes-men than Radio 2) will mean things get delayed more and lose steam. Total uninformed speculation on my part though - maybe the recording software broke.

TIAL

Quote from: Audioboom on Twitter'The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall' #RussellBrandPodcast live tomorrow 10am GMT. Nuff said
https://twitter.com/audioboom/status/571074496318337024

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: TIAL on February 26, 2015, 11:01:11 PM
https://twitter.com/audioboom/status/571074496318337024

Well that's nice, but they still haven't bothered explaining or apologising for the delay or even updating the show page with the new info. Their ineptitude is pretty staggering.

hedgehog90

3:30 in and I just got 2 big laughs from Matt.
Russell's noticeably more bearable, there's just something about Matt's presence.

TIAL

I could listen to Matt talk like a
Spoiler alert
windy 50 year old man
[close]
all day.

It's great to have them back together.

BritishHobo

I find it strange and sad the way that Trev is excised from having been part of the show. When they mention what the show's line-up used to be, as they did at the start of this one, they only ever reference Gee and Noel.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 27, 2015, 11:38:55 AM
I find it strange and sad the way that Trev is excised from having been part of the show. When they mention what the show's line-up used to be, as they did at the start of this one, they only ever reference Gee and Noel.

I have noticed that since the radio 2 show ended there seems to have been a strange sort of revisionism about Noel's role on the show. He was an entertaining phone-in guest who provided some funny moments, but from the way they talk about him now it's like he was a key member of the original team without whom any reunion is somehow incomplete. To be fair, they did have Trev as a guest on the 2013 XFM show, complete with a new Sonic Enigma, but it was pretty clear that Russell and Matt hadn't spoken to him for quite a while prior to that. It doesn't seem like there's any bad blood between them or anything, but yeah, it would be nice if they referenced him a bit more often.

Anyway, I thought the new episode was pretty enjoyable. I wasn't expecting it to immediately hit the same highs as the old show considering how long the two of them have been off the radio, but it was a promising start and I'm sure it'll only get better as they get back into the swing of things. It's just nice to hear from them again, really.

Ringside

This podcast made my Friday.

Russ and Matt have such a good chemistry together, and it's great to hear them together again. There must be a wealth of material to talk about since the radio show went down and I hope this is long running.

Jackson K Pollock

Any one have any luck downloading it so far?

I've downloaded the app, signed up for an account and it streams fine... but I'm meant to be working at the mo, so wanted to download it for the walk home.

But when I swipe up for download, it says "Downloading" but is stuck at zero kb...

Why can't they just put it up on existing podcast technology? Even if it does work it's still going to be a pain to have to go into a separate app every time I want to download and listen to this one particular podcast.

(All that said, I'm hugely excited to actually hear the thing, can't wait.)

Hat FM

downloaded fine for me.  maybe restart the app?   

BritishHobo

I love Matt. I know that's weird to say, since I've never met him in my life. There's just summat really affable hearing someone talk self-deprecatingly about their awkwardness, which I can identify with. Especially that stuff about the voice inside your head, and Morgan thinking that inner voice is who he's most like. That and the way he chats about his laptop and his personal connection with it, being a bit put-out that the Apple help bloke can work it better than him.

I've really missed this.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Hat FM on February 27, 2015, 05:43:15 PM
downloaded fine for me.  maybe restart the app?

I've deleted the app, re-downloaded it and logged back in (from home so on a different network and everything) and still stuck on zero kb for some reason.

Streams fine, so I will be able to listen to it, just a bit of a ballache. If anyone has any suggestions/advice, I'm all ears.

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on February 27, 2015, 03:11:27 PM
Any one have any luck downloading it so far?

I've downloaded the app, signed up for an account and it streams fine... but I'm meant to be working at the mo, so wanted to download it for the walk home.

But when I swipe up for download, it says "Downloading" but is stuck at zero kb...

If anyone wants to download these properly and keep them on your computer/move them into iTunes, etc, if you go onto the actual Russell Brand page on the Audioboom website, and right click on the 'Play' button on the Soundcloud-y streamy bit, you'll be able to save each podcast as an mp3 file.

iamcoop

I really enjoyed that. I'd become worried that after the creation of Russell's "serious" public persona the sense of silliness and fun that was archetypal of the old shows would be lost. Hopefully once they get to grips with the new format and atmosphere these will become really good. I could listen to Matt take the piss out of Russell and making him laugh for hours. It's been said before but radio/audio really is the format the Russell excels at. I've rarely been convinced about him on TV/Film but some of his radio output makes me laugh more than anything else that immediately springs to mind.

hedgehog90

I thought it was great. I'm really looking forward to the next one already.

SimonJT

It was great, wasn't it? There really is nothing more joyous than them two just talking. What made it particularly great, I think, is that it was just that - no music, no guests, no features. I hope they realise this.

DuncanC

I only just realised how refreshing it is that they don't waste time on "wow this is an exciting new era! podcasts, eh!" or "this is YOUR show! we want YOUR feedback!" or any kind of that kind of tedious warm-up. They know what they're doing, they just get on with it.

The Bumlord

Was that Stephen Fry 'doing' one of the stings about halfway through or have I gone quite mad?

Thomas

I'm on a bus, stifling laughter at Matt's encounter with a dog.

Yep, really enjoyed this first one.  Got a lot of proper belly laughs out of me, particularly from Matt's impression of a windy 50 year-old man. 

Just good to have them back.  Hope the rest of the series stays as stripped-back as this first episode.  Could have lived without Mr Gee turning up at the end, as he never really did much for me on the radio shows, but that's a minor quibble.  Roll on next week's.

comic630

I'm listening now. Russell's impression of Zlavoj Zizek is hilarious.

Mr Faineant

Spoiler alert
"You're wearing forks for shoes!"  "Doesn't matter..er..you're a nihilist, leave me alone!"
[close]
really tickled me.

hedgehog90

Ep2 is out today (yay!)
Will there always be 2 a week I wonder?

Old Nehamkin

Ja'moke

Oh I really hope there is always going to be two episodes a week because I was just about to say, as great as it is having them back, the episodes could do with at least another 15 minutes. I felt like they were just getting back into the swing of things but then it was over.

I believe it was always the plan that there'd be 2 per week.  Let's see how it pans out.

BritishHobo

That episode was perfect, exactly what I've been hoping for. The problem the last few years has been that, without something like the radio show, the only image we've gotten of ol' Russ has been that tabloid bullshit painting him as an inhuman egotist at every turn, undermining the decent things he tries to do because that's just the narrative that people expect. It's so good to get to hear Russ and Matt talking about stuff like his marriage to Katy Perry, and his 'revolution' stuff, in their affable, down-to-earth manner, popping all of that celeb gossip shite in an instant. Just a person like anyone else, being funny and self-deprecating about the things he does.

TIAL

This is ticking all the boxes for me so far. They seem to have gotten a grasp of what fans loved about the origional shows and paired it back to that. Much more promising than those TalkSport shows they did that tried to promote them as 'dangerous' broadcasters - in fact it's the more mundane every-day stuff they talk about that seems to work best.

Pleased that they've consciously left Noël off (for the first few podcasts at least) so that they can settle in to it. Let's hope they don't lose interest and this could be a real treat twice a week.