Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Russell Brand Podcast (NEW SHIT with MATT MORGAN)

Started by BritishHobo, February 22, 2015, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat FM

only listened to the first episode so far but i noticed that it seemed to be matt that had all the material and had done any pre-planning of any sort.  very funny though especially the broken computer bits.

iamcoop

Second one is great. These could turn into a real treat.

SimonJT

Good to see the return of the always enjoyable Michael Winner voice.

Old Nehamkin

I liked the image of Quint from Jaws deciding to go around biting people on the beach because he didn't get paid for killing the shark.

PlasticTom

This is lovely stuff. They seem to have picked up where they left off. Russell seems a tad more subdued than on some of the radio shows, which is fine. At Radio 2, it sounded as if he had a studio full of people (and a live audience) to show off in front of - he is a bit more restrained when pre-recorded. Maybe these won't quite have the freewheeling spontaneity of the radio shows - it's a bit more cosy and relaxed. Not a bad thing.

Another thumbs up for the Michael Winner / rich tosser voice.

gerostock

Brand is mediocre at stand-up and comic acting but I can't think of anyone who is better at improvised, conversational comedy besides possibly Peter Cook. It's the only part of him that impresses me, apart from his Kanye-tier narcissism. A more grounded man would have spent the years 2008-2015 working around that rather than trying to be Dudley More and Che Guevara at once.

tomasrojo

Really enjoyed these two podcasts.  Laughed with gusto in quite a few places.

They have great rapport. As just said, Brand is an inspired conversational improviser.  And in contrast, and completely complementary, Morgan has an uncanny knack for laconic putdowns.  It's a perfect combination.

Ringside

Already looking forward to episode 3. A couple of times at work today I caught people looking over as I chuckled heartily to myself.

Nothing much to add apart from my own 2p worth

I revisit the old 6Music and Radio 2 podcasts a few times a month Matt and Old Russ are still a total joy to listen to.

Thanks Mr BritishHobo for making me aware that these had started i had no idea they were back, this has literally made my year! :)

Old Nehamkin

Ep 3 is out and it's pretty good. Hearing Matt Morgan shambling his way through an ad for American podcast mainstay Squarespace gave me a bit of a weird "worlds colliding" sensation similar to when Joe Cornish appeared on Comedy Bang Bang. Also, is it just me or has Russell's laugh gone a bit mental since the radio days?

Audioboom seem to have cottoned on to people downloading the mp3's straight from the page and disabled the ability to do that, because obviously it would be terrible business to actually make their product convenient to access.

EDIT: Actually, you can still access a downloadable version of the ep just by adding ".mp3" to the browser address. There ya go (thanks to "gnwrestling" in the episode comments for pointing this out).

BritishHobo

Aye, lovely stuff this week. The shambolic sponsorship plug, all the self-deprecation about Russell's revolution and the Trews, and the pair of them just properly making each other laugh with the belly bounce story. Fuckin' fantastic.

I didn't know Joe Cornish had been on CBB! I need to listen to that immediately.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 04, 2015, 02:46:12 PM
I didn't know Joe Cornish had been on CBB! I need to listen to that immediately.

Yeah, he was on with Edgar Wright a few years back promoting Attack The Block. It's not the best episode ever, to be honest- I think Joe was in the middle of a long run of interviews for the film and he clearly wasn't familiar with the very specific tone and format of CBB, which led to a little awkwardness. I think his natural torpedo-commanding sensibility sort of clashed with the "Yes, and" improv attitude that the show thrives on (as I remember, he seemed a bit disdainful towards a character bit Matt Besser was doing). It's still worth a listen though, even just for the novelty of hearing Scott and Joe interact.

emmett85

i am a luddite, is there any feed to get these in the apple podcasts app?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on March 04, 2015, 12:43:22 PM
Also, is it just me or has Russell's laugh gone a bit mental since the radio days?

I dunno, when he's properly tickled by something he sounds just as giddy as ever.

During the hilarious 'Belly Bounce' saga in episode 3, Russ emits a proper old Dudley Moore squeal of almost bronchial hysteria that's utterly joyous to behold. Their laughter is entirely genuine and warranted, which is why it's so contagious.

Oi really am lovin' these.

SimonJT

Yep, still really enjoying it so far. I reckon as long as they don't involve a single other person other than Noel Gallagher (and, less likely, Trev), it can't fail.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: gerostock on March 02, 2015, 03:56:19 PM
Brand is mediocre at stand-up and comic acting but I can't think of anyone who is better at improvised, conversational comedy besides possibly Peter Cook. It's the only part of him that impresses me, apart from his Kanye-tier narcissism. A more grounded man would have spent the years 2008-2015 working around that rather than trying to be Dudley More and Che Guevara at once.

I agree.  The narcissism was funny and even essential when the level of fame he aspired to was still somewhat out of reach, but now that he actually has it and has also sincerely tried his hand at being a New Jesus, it's harder to find it so amusing.  Hopefully this podcast is a sign that he's winding down all of that, though a part of me secretly thinks his recent rejection of fame and glamour wouldn't have come about if he'd been more successful as an actor in the US.  He actually is a decent enough actor, but he sold out immediately, married a pop star, made some real shite movies and a TV show everyone hated.  It's got to hurt a little given that was his first dream, long before comedy.

Mobius

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on March 04, 2015, 12:43:22 PM
EDIT: Actually, you can still access a downloadable version of the ep just by adding ".mp3" to the browser address. There ya go (thanks to "gnwrestling" in the episode comments for pointing this out).

Sorry I'm thick as shit, does this still work? Because I've put .mp3 after the URL and it sort of just plays in its own weird little browser.

I wanted to put these on my phone to listen to at work tomorrow but even the little itunes button their site just doesn't seem to do anything.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Mobius on March 05, 2015, 10:34:07 AM
Sorry I'm thick as shit, does this still work? Because I've put .mp3 after the URL and it sort of just plays in its own weird little browser.

If you right click the play button of said browser you should be able to select "save as".

Ringside

Not any more. I tried the right click trick. If you use firefox there are a number of extensions that will download it as an mo3 once you start it streaming. I used Downthemall.

Chrome has some too, and there are also stand alone tools.

It's silly not offering the option really because people will do it anyway, and so they should.

hedgehog90

F12 (Developer tools), source or elements, ctrl f "mp3"
You'll see a link in the script for the MP3 file, copy paste it into URL, save as.
Edit: That's how I do it in chrome, think it works more or less the same in Firefox and IE.

tomasrojo

Or you can use notepad, or some text editor other, create a file temp.html, and put the link, with ".mp3" appended in there, like this:
<a href="https://audioboom.com/boos/2936113-e1-re-tethered-souls.mp3">link</a>

Open temp.html with your browser and you can right-click it the link and save the mp3.

I just opened a command-line terminal and typed
wget https://audioboom.com/boos/2936113-e1-re-tethered-souls.mp3

but I'm on Linux.  Might work on a Mac either.

Mobius

Why can't it just be on itunes like everything else.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mobius on March 06, 2015, 11:48:18 AM
Why can't it just be on itunes like everything else.

system government v for vendetta monsanto sheeple

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Ringside on March 06, 2015, 02:16:46 AM
Not any more. I tried the right click trick.

Really? It's still working for me on Chrome.

Mobius

Yeah I just tried it and it worked, cheers! It was actually quite simple I should've done it days ago. Ace I'll give these a listen over the weekend. Just redone all their 6music/radio 2 showsso I'm right in the mood for some new bits.

BritishHobo

My computer's done a fuck-up. Listening to The Ray Peacock Podcast in the library last night when half-way through it suddenly became this show. I cannot for the life of me figure out how that happened.

Old Nehamkin

Enjoyed the return of Russell's mild obsession with the premise of Ratatouille ("It's about a rat that makes it as a chef!").

Episode 4's really quiet.  Listening to it on the laptop at full volume.  Still not particularly loud.

Mobius

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on March 08, 2015, 07:16:14 PM
Episode 4's really quiet.  Listening to it on the laptop at full volume.  Still not particularly loud.

I've just transferred it to my phone and it sounds fine mate.