Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:41:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Official] Ryder Cup Thread 2004

Started by Hypnotoad., September 17, 2004, 11:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypnotoad.

Ok, I'm not winning many friends here, so nows a good a time as any

Europe have just had their most successful first day ever in the Ryder Cup. I doubt theres many golfers here, nor many who follow it on telly, I'm in both camps

wheatgod

i dont follow golf, much less tune in to it on the gogglebox, but i do like the sound of "our chaps" taking on the americans on their own soil and give them a sound thrashing. lets hope the humiliation continues, i hear mickelson has been dropped for todays play! whatever that means

Doctor Stamen

I normally despise golf, but every two years I make an effort to watch this, just to see us giving the smug, arrogant Yanks a lesson in sportsmanship.

mikeyg27

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"I normally despise golf, but every two years I make an effort to watch this, just to see us giving the smug, arrogant Yanks a lesson in sportsmanship.

Me too. Golf is shit, but there is something really compelling about the Ryder Cup. And a 5 point lead after day 1 is fucking ridiculous. On a related note, I recommend a read of Into the Bear Pit by Mark James, about the 1999 debacle at Brookline.

fanny splendid

The best thing about this Ryder Cup is the strong showing the Europeans are putting up against 'Love & Funk'.

Hypnotoad.

Not such a great 2nd day so far, but the ol' yanks were always going to come back at us today

The whole thing is brewing up nicely for a stunning day of singles tomorrow, not before some shenanigans tonight.....

Actually, I much prefer it when it is in the states, as it goes on until 11:30 in the evening and thats a blessing on the weekend before payday

p.s. Golf is most definately NOT shit, perhaps you're just not very good at it? ;)

terminallyrelaxed

The man's right; I've been wanting to take up golf for years, it looks like a very pleasant way to pass a morning or afternoon, and bollocks to Winston Churchill.

Doctor Stamen

I think the reason i'm not so keen on golf is that I tried it when I was 15 (it was one of our PE 'options' in the fifth year at school, even though I went to a really shit school) and it was frustratingly difficult.  Mind you, if i'd spent less time trying to drive a ball into the back of my mates heads and more effort in actually playing golf, I might have been alright at it.  Ah, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

If I could be a successful professional sportsman in any field though, i'd probably choose golf.  Strolling around landscaped courses in Australia, South Africa and the US, knocking a ball around and getting paid millions for it doesn't sound like a particularly bad way of making a living.

But yeah, anyway, we had a bit of a shaky start today but we're doing alright in the foursomes.  I can still see Europe walking it.

Hypnotoad.

I started young, probably 13, and just kinda took to it. Its difficult, but very fulfilling when you get it right

I like it because its an individual discipline, and I sucked big time at team sports at school. I find it theraputic to get out in the quiet and focus on my own performance, you're competing against probably 30-50 others in club tournmaments for instance. With hard work and lots of practice, you can see your skills improving by the week

The handicapping system means in theory any golfer can go out and compete against any other golfer, including professionals (or minus handicapped amateurs)

Theres a nice social side to it as well, every company I've worked at has had various trips away, but its always just the fellas

In fact, I played at a course down on the coast once and was shocked to see that women had their own tea room and entrance, and werent allowed in the bar

There is that side to it obviously

So, in summary, for anyone who wanted to start, I'd recommend borrowing some clubs and hitting a driving range once a week for a month or so, then trying a par 3 course before bothering with a full course

It would be my chosen profession too, lots of travelling following the sunshine, big pay checks if you're any good, nice sponsorship deals, and you can continue playing into your 50's on the Seniors tours, plus course design and fun stuff like that. Even a club pro is a pretty neat job

Back on topic, it seems we're starting to get some momentum again, thanks in part no doubt to the wonderful last 2 holes of the Howell/Casey partnership

I'm feeling all European....

mikeyg27

Considering how the yanks seemed to be crawling all over us this morning, only letting them claw back one point is pretty good. Seemed to be going pretty well last time I checked as well. We're probably going to have a lead of at least 4 going into tomorrow.

mikeyg27

screw 4, a lead of 6 will do very nicely. 3 to retain the cup, 3 1/2 to win. Looking good.

Tokyo Sexwhale

It wasn't looking good as at 7:12 pm:

Ryder Cup latest
UNITED STATES   5-11  EUROPE

2 up  Woods     v  Casey          10
1 up  Mickelson v  Garcia          9
1 up  Love      v  Clarke          8
5 up  Furyk     v  Howell          8
2 up  Perry     v  Westwood        7
    Toms      v  M'gomerie 2 up   6
2 up  Campbell  v  Donald          4
    DiMarco   a/s Jimenez         3
    Funk      a/s Levet           2
    Riley     a/s Poulter         2
1 up  Haas      v  Harr'ton        1
    Cink      v  McGinley  

If it stays like that, I make it 14 -14.  Too close for comfort!

Hypnotoad.

Yep, all coming together nicely for a tight finish. Still think 'we' can edge it

No surprises the Americans coming back at us in the singles, much as they get the whooping and hollering going amongst themselves and the supporters, its the Europeans that have REAL team spirit

Sergio's coming good, we need our big guns to start firing

fanny splendid

So, do we know which group of middle class, land appropriators have won yet?

Oops!

Hypnotoad.

Magnificent

So pleased for Monty after whats been such a tough year for him, fitting he should get to hole the winning putt. But of course the whole team were superb, particularly Casey and Howell who really swung the entire match with their point yesterday

Pythov

Hypnotoad.

I believe thats what is officially known as a FUCKING GOOD HIDING

Kendo Nagasaki

Apart from Womens football, is there any International competetive sport the yanks are good at?

wheatgod

theyre great at baseball, with the world series every year
they got as far as england in the last men's football world cup, didnt they?

if bombing middle eastern children was a sport, theyd come top