Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:29:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and 3 Courses

Started by chocolate teapot, February 28, 2015, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porter Dimi

The Last of the Summer Wine and Dine

idunnosomename

Heil Honey I'm Home bratwurst and sauerkraut

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

It ain't served hot, mum - cold buffet

Mr Banlon

Mind Your Sandwich
One Food In The Gravy
Soup Of The Day Today

Mr Banlon

Replies From View

Replies From View

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 05, 2017, 07:49:17 PM
I'm not sure that would mean anything without the original cast, because the characters are so piss-weak.

But what else can we look forward to? Chalk and Cheese? Jam on Toast? (maybe a mash-up?) The Peter Principle and a Standard 3-Plate Evening Meal by a Local Catering Firm?

One of them is called Daz (or Gaz?) and is often in the pub. There are lots of other memorable moments/characters/jokes but I shan't bore you with them all now.

Tlentifini Maarhaysu

Nothing really practical to add to this discussion, but there's a theatre near me that seems to absolutely thrive on this kind of thing. They've done Only Fools and Three Courses, they've done Fawlty Towers, Absolutely Fabulous, and next year they're doing 'Allo 'Allo... all with a 'dining experience' theme. This past week they were doing Hi-De-Hi!, though I'm told no dining was involved, just four of the original TV episodes cobbled together and performed by a bunch of not-quite-lookalikes. The remainder of the theatre's attractions seems to be tribute bands of the standard of 'ELO Again', 'Closeplay' (i.e. Coldplay) and 'Little Miss' (Little Minx).

They seem to do alright out of it.

Tlentifini Maarhaysu

I find it quite astonishing, actually, that so many people are willing to pay good money to see amateur dramatics companies rehashing decades-old episodes of once-popular sitcoms when they could just as easily sit at home and watch the DVDs. I just don't see the attraction whatsoever.

Mind you, I saw one of the Hi-De-Hi! summer seasons with some of the original cast members (including the much-maligned David 'Clive' Griffin) when I was a teenager and that was a load of shite, so maybe it's all a matter of personal taste...

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Tlentifini Maarhaysu on November 06, 2017, 12:50:23 AM
I find it quite astonishing, actually, that so many people are willing to pay good money to see amateur dramatics companies rehashing decades-old episodes of once-popular sitcoms when they could just as easily sit at home and watch the DVDs. I just don't see the attraction whatsoever.

I'd guess at least 95% of the audience don't own the DVDs in the first place. They're not displayed next to the tills for a start.

A hotel close to me is doing a Fawlty Towers dinner show this month. Part of me wants to go so that I can praise it if it turns out to be surprisingly good, but mostly to see if they actually show Kurt throwing up this time.

Tlentifini Maarhaysu

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on November 06, 2017, 01:04:07 AM
If they actually show Kurt throwing up this time.

The audience's reaction on that episode suggests to me that the studio audience saw Kurt throwing up, but the director cut away to Sybil to spare the viewers at home.
Were the BBC that nervous about a vom shot in 1975?

Mr Banlon

Curry & June
Flan About The House
Home To Roast

St_Eddie

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Tlentifini Maarhaysu on November 06, 2017, 01:14:37 AM
The audience's reaction on that episode suggests to me that the studio audience saw Kurt throwing up, but the director cut away to Sybil to spare the viewers at home.
Were the BBC that nervous about a vom shot in 1975?

The chunder was in the original pre-broadcast version but the BBC made director John Howard Davies remove it. He's quoted in Graham McCann's Fawlty Towers book as saying they'd even taken the trouble to put bits of carrot in the fake vomit.

Ferris

St_Eddie

Tlentifini Maarhaysu

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on November 06, 2017, 01:49:40 AM
The chunder was in the original pre-broadcast version but the BBC made director John Howard Davies remove it. He's quoted in Graham McCann's Fawlty Towers book as saying they'd even taken the trouble to put bits of carrot in the fake vomit.

This is why I come here. Thanks, Bennett.

Thennett.

idunnosomename

father bread (another mash-up)

Replies From View

thenoise