Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:13:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and 3 Courses

Started by chocolate teapot, February 28, 2015, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koeman

Quote from: jenna appleseed on February 28, 2015, 09:03:39 PM
Are they going to get sued to pieces for copying the design of the logo?

I seem to remember forum favourite Graham Linehan being pissed off when alerted to one of the Father Ted dining experiences as it was completely unofficial. In fact, here it is:

https://twitter.com/glinner/status/247733624579964928

That video is compellingly awful. The Del Boy couldn't look less right if he tried. Uncle Albert's beard reminds me of the pirate beard my Mum made for me when I was in infant's school. Judging by the laugh, Marlene seems be confused and is actually playing Trudy from the episode Chance of a Lunchtime. Why have they picked someone who can't sing to play Tony Angelino? That was never the joke. Philip Pope can certainly hold a tune. What is that horrible, joyless conga to the theme tune all about?

But it's made me think. How about a Little and Large Dining Experience, but with a twist - we actually get Syd and Eddie to do it? Syd already runs a restaurant, so he'd know what he was doing.

Bhazor

The Fawlty one at least has some context in the sense of Basil organisng a night of fine dining as he argues with his wife. I mean half the show took place in a crappy restaurant. But what the hell kind of pretext does this one have? Its just characters coming out one at a time to badly recap old jokes standing in the middle of the room.

thenoise

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 01, 2015, 12:23:41 AM
I don't really know who this appeals to. If you're an Only Fools fan you're going to be annoyed by them getting it wrong and hearing the same jokes from the show told less well and if you're not a fan you've got to put up with those guys mugging next to you while you're trying to enjoy the melon and prosciutto starter.

Surely the 'sketches' only happen between courses. Probably only half hour of comedy max.
Basil Fawlty was slightly better, but once you've mastered the look and the voice, you just have to go round being rude to people. Why are rodney and trotters etc working as waiters? Doesn't make sense.

They should do a coffee friends one with afternoon tea.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Ignatius_S on February 28, 2015, 01:59:59 PM
This dining experience has been going for quite a while - the company behind it also does a Fawlty Towers one as well, for which there's some competition and the market is obviously able to support a few companies doing the same. I did hear that two rival companies were booked for different corporate gigs at the same hotel and a very nasty and ugly fight broke out but have not been able to confirm this.

You would hope this involved two Basil Fawltys having a punch up.

Shaky

There's something really unnerving about their "Trigger". He's no longer just a dimwitted but essentially kindly soul; there's genuine torment on that face, like he's been abused in a barn for 30 years and only just let out.

the midnight watch baboon

T'ri(n)gger definitely reminds me of a classic film poster, especially in the ensemble shot with the slight crouch and aimless stare... Rainman perhaps as a previous VW posted. But I think there's another one too... gahhhhhhhhhhhhh who

checkoutgirl

The guy at the end liked the "audience anticipation". Lovely stuff.

thraxx

There are LOADS of these things!  It's like discovering a whole underground scene.  There appears to be a Carry On one too. 

Is it allowed to do this kind of things, are you just allowed to pinch bits of shows and perform them live.  I know that some of them ad-lib, but some just perform the sketches - don't they need permission to do that?

the midnight watch baboon

Maybe cos of a juxtapozed conference town but I've seen flyers for these by hotels for years and years now, all of the aformentioned plus Peter Kay, Take That, Robbie Williams, Jesus etc

checkoutgirl

You can do whatever you like. The problem starts if you start making any kind of money out of it and someone finds out and someone gives a shit that you're using their property. That Fools one is 50 quid a head but the promo video only had about 30 or 40 people at the thing. It's too small for the big boys to give a shit about I'd imagine.

phes

it's a totally shit and crooked product, entirely in the spirit of the show.

Bhazor

It is oddly beautiful to have a crummy knock off of Only Fools. Very zen.

BritishHobo

Ha! I remember hearing about the Father Ted one (as a follow-up to 'Faulty Towers') on the Peacock and Gamble podcast, but I never really realised how grim they'd look.

I don't know what's supposed to appeal about it. Any fucker could slap a wig on and act out bits of an old comedy, what about it makes people think beforehand that it's gonna be any good?

MuteBanana

I don't think these are fans of the show turning up to this. Just old couples looking for a different sort of night out.

I hope all the staff are first aid trained. There must be at least one choking incident a night.

Gurke and Hare

I like the constant emphasis on how good the food is, when it clearly isn't. It's going to be work do type mass catering, surely?

Tiny Poster

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 01, 2015, 11:15:38 AM
You can do whatever you like. The problem starts if you start making any kind of money out of it and someone finds out and someone gives a shit that you're using their property. That Fools one is 50 quid a head but the promo video only had about 30 or 40 people at the thing. It's too small for the big boys to give a shit about I'd imagine.

I think they get away with it by not using the actual programme title (Only Fools & Three Courses, Ted & Co etc) and by claiming it's a "parody to" (sic) the original show(s).

MuteBanana

Why can't they hire people who actually look like them. That well known lookalike website must have some OFAH characters.

chocolate teapot

Quote from: MuteBanana on March 01, 2015, 04:20:16 PM
Why can't they hire people who actually look like them. That well known lookalike website must have some OFAH characters.

They probably can't do the voices, that'd be more of a priority over looks with this sort of thing, people will have their head in their foods anyway.

Quincey

Who is the person on the flyer meant to be in between Raquel and Uncle Albert?

And the reference to Raquel singing - what episode is that from?

I hope mange tout is on the menu - actually, that could be interesting, serving the food that Del Boy uses incorrectly when speaking "French".

You could book these people for your next "meet"

TIAL

In the video someone says it's 4 people playing 8 characters so I don't know how they did that group photo on the flyer.

checkoutgirl

The thing is, lauded as it is, many of the Fools and Horses jokes were poor at best. That bit where Pope is singing "Cwying" is instantly a bit crap. It's not even good, let alone a stand out classic worthy of repeating. That's why it's such a popular show, they don't forget the cheesy gags for the Mrs Browns Boys Brigade. In that context it makes perfect sense to have a scampi in a basket style show with dinner included and Del Boy inexplicably serving the starters. I mean look at the audience, this is the most interesting thing that has visited their town in the last century. Well worth £47.95 and 5 minutes of their time to do a vox pop after the show. They were probably talking about it in the town for months afterwards.

Mr Banlon

For those on a budget, they also do a Rock & Chips evening.

BritishHobo

I don't even know what the "Cwying" reference is - is that supposed to be a classic OFAH moment?

EDIT: Wikipedia tells me it was voted 'the 8th Greatest Only Fools Moment' by UKTV Gold. I honestly for the life of me cannot remember it. Since when has that been a common piece of knowledge?

I'd go and watch it if they dropped a chandelier on the audience halfway through and at the end Del Boy and Rodney get stuck in the venue's lift and have a chat about miscarriages.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: koeman on March 01, 2015, 06:34:16 AM
I seem to remember forum favourite Graham Linehan being pissed off when alerted to one of the Father Ted dining experiences as it was completely unofficial. In fact, here it is:

https://twitter.com/glinner/status/247733624579964928

He was also quite peeved by the Father Ted's bar in the Camden Road, North West London. It was a notoriously nasty dive that you stayed well clear of at the weekends. There was a tragedy involving carbon monoxide poisoning and in the aftermath, the owner changed the name to Slattery's

There's a real trend to name bars/eateries after popular comedy shows at package holiday resorts.  I once ate a burger in the Beavis & Butthead, Gumbet, Turkey.

Bhazor

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 01, 2015, 06:58:16 PM

He was also quite peeved by the Father Ted's bar in the Camden Road, North West London. It was a notoriously nasty dive that you stayed well clear of at the weekends. There was a tragedy involving carbon monoxide poisoning and in the aftermath, the owner changed the name to Slattery's

Should of changed it to IT Crowd amirite?

olliebean

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on February 28, 2015, 01:03:50 PM
Rodders and Boycie are merely a stick-on tash, a side-parting reversal and soft lighting away from pure symmetry. I wonder if they "swap instruments" for the night ever

Are they actually the same person? One of the people at the end of the video mentions there are only 4 people doing all 8 characters, although if that's a photoshopped pic at the top of the thread I can't see the join.

Custard

How can people not remember the cwying episode?

http://youtu.be/4Ri8MF4bLz8

YOU CWUNTS

(Top quality video there!)

And here's a couple of wallies doing it at a Butlins Stars In Their Eyes

"Rachel Trotter"?

http://youtu.be/yrCvmqIHN2k

Steven

Quote from: Shaky on March 01, 2015, 09:33:19 AM

Looks more like Cliff to me, he might be learning the dead-pan Trigger look for uses of forgetting specific details due to old-age dementia as a defense in court proceedings in the future.