Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:40:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and 3 Courses

Started by chocolate teapot, February 28, 2015, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesitsme

Kim Hartman looks like she's seen the true horror of war.  Poor girl, hasn't she suffered enough?

Imagine how many times a day she gets pawed by dirty bastards trying to cop a feel?

I know I would.

A girl in here went on the Fawlty Towers Dining Experience and....loved it.  She said it was 'really funny'.

I do not value this girls opinion of what constitutes 'funny'.

TheMonk

Quite surprised Paul Whitehouse is involved with this.
https://youtu.be/bjXveq2PVcs

Chriddof

I thought you were joking. Holy shit. I had to stop the video at the five second mark when he appears as I couldn't quite take it.

Icehaven

The Rodney is far too good looking.
And I hate seeing film footage of people posing and pulling faces for photoshoots, makes them look really stupid and wasn't meant to be seen.

Icehaven

Also I'd presumed Whitehouse would be Del, not Grandad. Another one for the passage-of-time threads we've been having lately.

Mobius

That bloke playing Delboy was in Phone Shop and the David Brent movie.

Phil_A

Oh my god, Whitehouse hinting at the possibility of Delboy and bar-falling. Mate.

I bet, I bet you anything that they fucking have teases all the way through it, Del leaning on different kinds of service hatches, e.g. chemist, library, chip shop, each time making you think he's gonna fall, NO WAIT he hasn't they tricked us those sneaky buggers! OH NOW, this time, THIS TIME he's gonna fucking do it! NO! They tricked us AGAIN! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT! And just carry on like that through the entire show, the delayed gratification going on and on until finally, FINALLY HE FALLS THROUGH A FUCKING THING, the whole thing building up to this one moment of pure ecstatic release, the soaring crescendo of the entire show, DEL HAS FALLEN THROUGH A FUCKING THING, lights out, curtain, audience spontaneously prolapsing with joy. Nailed it, lads.

TheMonk

Quote from: Phil_A on October 27, 2018, 09:46:19 PM
Oh my god, Whitehouse hinting at the possibility of Delboy and bar-falling. Mate.

I bet, I bet you anything that they fucking have teases all the way through it, Del leaning on different kinds of service hatches, e.g. chemist, library, chip shop, each time making you think he's gonna fall, NO WAIT he hasn't they tricked us those sneaky buggers! OH NOW, this time, THIS TIME he's gonna fucking do it! NO! They tricked us AGAIN! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT! And just carry on like that through the entire show, the delayed gratification going on and on until finally, FINALLY HE FALLS THROUGH A FUCKING THING, the whole thing building up to this one moment of pure ecstatic release, the soaring crescendo of the entire show, DEL HAS FALLEN THROUGH A FUCKING THING, lights out, curtain, audience spontaneously prolapsing with joy. Nailed it, lads.
Lights come back on presumably for a curtain call. A chandelier drops to the floor. Lights out.

Chairman Bodog

Quote from: Mobius on October 27, 2018, 03:37:53 PM
That bloke playing Delboy was in Phone Shop and the David Brent movie.

I thought you said Phone booth and I had a right laddish gaggle.

Paul Whitehouse was hawking the musical on the One Show last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c01fbl/the-one-show-30012019

Highlights include;

• WHITEHOUSE GRANDAD being Unlucky Alf's costume with Hardest Game In The World's voice.
  • "Stunt" involving WHITEHOUSE GRANDAD tipping the van over with Matt Baker trapped inside.
  • Whitehouse shifting in and out of a ridiculously exaggerated cockney accent during his interview for no apparent reason.
  • A man who doesn't want to move out of a crumbling Nelson Mandela House.
  • FAT DEL IMPERSONATOR having his hair cut in a council flat corridor.
  • FAT BOYCIE.
  • The show closing with the full musical cast performing a medley of the opening and closing themes.

Also keep your eyes open for non OFAH highlights such as;

• Will Arnett visibly losing the will to live every time Lego Movie 2 co-star Tiffany Haddish speaks.
  • Angellica Bell trying to force two octogenarians to be in love, live on TV.

It's quite the spectacle. It's clear that Whitehouse truly believes in the project and thinks it has true artistic merit, but he also can't hide the embarrassment of being involved with it either. It's all very OFA3C but everyone's too polite to say so.

Jockice

Hmm. At least it's helped me to understand the words to the end credits tune. I've always thought it was: 'Black or white, rich or poor. Real cut prices and a straw.' And yes, I know that doesn't make sense.

Quote from: Jockice on January 31, 2019, 10:27:13 AM
Hmm. At least it's helped me to understand the words to the end credits tune. I've always thought it was: 'Black or white, rich or poor. Real cut prices and a straw.' And yes, I know that doesn't make sense.

On a similar note, I thought the words were "May none defeat Hooky Street".

purlieu

I always wondered why we were invited to "say magnifique, Hooky Street".

Shaky

Yes, I've had the exact same lyrics rattling around my head for 30-odd years now. Genuinely distraught that they're incorrect!

bomb_dog

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47265633
New clips from the stage. Doesn't show you anything you couldn't close your eyes and imagine (i.e. 'Hooky Street' song with lots of people on stage 'looking busy' whilst Del and Rodney wander about a bit)

'Sir David and Nicholas.... Sir David and Nicholas...'

jobotic

We'll cut prices at a straw.

Which again, doesn't make sense. So what is it?

kalowski

Quote from: jobotic on February 16, 2019, 04:08:41 PM

We'll cut prices at a score.

JesusAndYourBush

Yes I was watching that episode of the One Show and noticed it too...

I always thought it was "black or white, rich or poor, we'll cut prices at a straw".  I always assumed "at a straw" was an obscure cockney phrase.

But on the One Show they sang "rich or broke",  it stuck out like a sore thumb,  'That's not how it goes' I said, and turned to the internet where lyrics sites have "rich or broke, we'll cut prices at a stroke".  What???  Mandela effect!!

Finding clips on youtube it does seem to be "rich or broke".  W T actual F???

Phil_A

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 16, 2019, 06:26:44 PM
Yes I was watching that episode of the One Show and noticed it too...

I always thought it was "black or white, rich or poor, we'll cut prices at a straw".  I always assumed "at a straw" was an obscure cockney phrase.

But on the One Show they sang "rich or broke",  it stuck out like a sore thumb,  'That's not how it goes' I said, and turned to the internet where lyrics sites have "rich or broke, we'll cut prices at a stroke".  What???  Mandela effect!!

Finding clips on youtube it does seem to be "rich or broke".  W T actual F???

It's the Mandela House effect.

idunnosomename

Isn't it "at a stroke"? Like the real phrase?

thraxx

Wouldn't it be amusing if Only Fools the musical turned out to be a load of shonky old shit being passesd of as genuine.

beanheadmcginty

My dad used to put Ceefax 888 on at the end of each episode of Only Fools when I was a kid so we could all sing along and I can guarantee that it is "black or white, rich or poor, we'll cut prices at a stroke".

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 16, 2019, 09:25:36 PM
My dad used to put Ceefax 888 on at the end of each episode of Only Fools when I was a kid so we could all sing along and I can guarantee that it is "black or white, rich or poor, we'll cut prices at a stroke".

Same with the on-screen lyrics here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Kkvwyyf2c, but it's wrong.

Definitely rich or broke / ... at a stroke.

Morrison Lard

The only version of the theme song that matters-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqClJvLFKiY

Complete with an awkward sneering Boycie not quite knowing what to do with himself.
The closeups of his shoes and his clapping hands are a lovely touch.

St_Eddie

Pfft.  Everyone knows that the actual lyrics are "black or white, rich or poor, we'll cut ya 'til ya have a stroke".

JCR

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 13, 2018, 07:36:25 PM
Guy Siner is a bona fide legend. Forget 'Allo 'Allo, he also connects Doctor Who and Pirates Of The Caribbean. He doesn't owe you a damn thing.

Kevin McNally, who plays Gibbs in all five Pirates films, was in The Twin Dilemma, unquestionably the low point of Doctor Who's history.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but these dining experiences have been very profitable, hence will no doubt continue. John Cleese was apoplectic a few years back that one of the Fawlty Towers ones had made over £1 million revenue and neither he nor Connie Booth had anything to do with it, and were not being paid for it.

Ferris

Quote from: JCR on February 17, 2019, 04:07:22 AM
Kevin McNally, who plays Gibbs in all five Pirates films, was in The Twin Dilemma, unquestionably the low point of Doctor Who's history.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but these dining experiences have been very profitable, hence will no doubt continue. John Cleese was apoplectic a few years back that one of the Fawlty Towers ones had made over £1 million revenue and neither he nor Connie Booth had anything to do with it, and were not being paid for it.

How on earth can this be the case? How can they continue to convince people to go to these? It beggars belief.

Sullivan/Cleese should sue them into oblivion from an artistic standpoint, let alone a financial one.

Jockice

It's 'his intellectual cross friends get to call him TC  . Providing he"s wearing a t.'

non capisco

Quote from: Phil_A on February 16, 2019, 08:20:49 PM
It's the Mandela House effect.

^ This is a fucking excellent joke. Bravo!

I've gone my whole life also thinking it was "Black or white, rich or poor, we'll cut prices at a straw" and just assuming "at a straw" was some 80's London phrase I'd never heard despite living two trains stops away from what could just about be called London throughout the 80s. But it's not, is it? It's "black or white, rich or BROKE, we'll cut prices at a STROKE."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Kkvwyyf2c
Here's the clean theme without audience applause, which as well as proving he sings "rich or broke" also allows you to bask in the meatiness of that drum intro which you may have longed to have heard without a load of people cheering over it. Maybe it played to silence after the wretched 2000s specials, I'm not going to watch them again to find out but it fucking well should have done. The on-screen lyrics say "rich or poor" but it's not, you can hear him sing "rich or broke" which rhymes with "at a stroke". Fucking hell. And when I say fucking hell, I mean fucking hell I wish I'd thought of that "Mandela House effect" joke first.

Next thing you're going to tell me it's NOT Rodney singing.

EDIT to actually include the YouTube link, you dipstick.

kalowski

Fuck this nonsense. What next, he says, "Rodner, you planker!"?