Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:06:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and 3 Courses

Started by chocolate teapot, February 28, 2015, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

This time next month Rodney, we'll have about a hundred thousand pounds

imitationleather

The real fucking weird thing is that I swore down it went:
Gold chains,
What's-names
Pictures frames
Oedipus
And Trevor Francis track suits
From a mush in Shepherds Bush

non capisco

If almost everyone has completely misheard the lyrics for 36 years it does sort of undermine the gag of Trigger displaying his stupidity by believing Rodney is called Dave.

beanheadmcginty

The elephant in the room here is that the opening theme is about a thousand times better than the closing theme and the lyrics to that are totally unambiguous so none of this matters.

Also, I watched the first episode with Racquel in it the other day and really fancied her for the first time. Made me feel well old.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: non capisco on February 17, 2019, 09:19:52 PM
EDIT to actually include the YouTube link, you dipstick.

Which had already been posted further up the thread with the correct lyrics confirmed.

*turns up dial on sunbed*

Ferris

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 18, 2019, 12:28:33 AM
The elephant in the room here is that the opening theme is about a thousand times better than the closing theme and the lyrics to that are totally unambiguous so none of this matters.

Are they two different songs?

koeman

Quote from: imitationleather on February 17, 2019, 10:27:51 PM
The real fucking weird thing is that I swore down it went:
Gold chains,
What's-names
Pictures frames
Oedipus
And Trevor Francis track suits
From a mush in Shepherds Bush

Are you suggesting that Del was, in fact, Rodney's real dad?

You say that, but the interviewer here thinks the lyrics are 'stick a bunny in and forget it':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AVrHMQ1NBo

Mango Chimes

I am straining to hear that as 'broke' and 'stroke', and suspect this entire thread is some kind of 'muffit of tea' style ruse.

non capisco

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 18, 2019, 12:41:26 AM
Which had already been posted further up the thread with the correct lyrics confirmed.

DON'T BE A WALLY ALL YOUR LIFE, CAPISCO.

Morrison Lard

Chalk me down as another poor/straw-er.
You broke/stroke bunch are talking out of your collective arses.

Next thing you'll be telling me Trigger's broom joke was originally done by Arkwright on Open All Hours...

Edit : kalowski said it best-
Quote from: kalowski on February 17, 2019, 10:10:04 PM
Fuck this nonsense. What next, he says, "Rodner, you planker!"?

Ghughesarch

Quote from: Morrison Lard on February 18, 2019, 11:00:46 AM

Next thing you'll be telling me Trigger's broom joke was originally done by Arkwright on Open All Hours..

Nope. Heraclitus, Plato and Plutarch did it first on their 'Theseus Wants a Ship' tour.

Pick a phoney, bin the rocket,
Net the fruitcake from the man.
But if you wanna restroom and you're gone arsed festoons,
Ben, rudder, I've a flan.

Boss Bear is whore crumbs, fun in your history,
Fuss Dyke, the ranging of your reasons and the guides of a pea.
Gus, she's the nun who's crying in desserts,
So why do only fools and horses work?

Obviously they changed a few of the names after the first pilot. Ben became Rodney, Boss Bear became Uncle Grandad and Gus became Del Boy.

Fuss Dyke and the Sobbing Nun were written out completely before being reintroduced as Raquel and Cassandra in the later series.

Billy

Boss Bear was originally intended as 'Top Bear' but the name was changed due to a popular brand of ursidaen food.

petril

similarly, outside of the UK, Boss Gun was called Top Gun

Rolf Lundgren

Those drums though. That's what makes the closing theme. And the reference to Trevor Francis.

Morrison Lard

This version suggests different lyrics altogether-

https://vimeo.com/318280456

beanheadmcginty

I've just remembered for a very long time I thought it was "crap ties" rather than "cracked ice".

Ferris

Ironically, David Bowie LPs are now the sort of thing that would sell very well in the gentrifying Peckham.

purlieu

Quote from: non capisco on February 17, 2019, 09:19:52 PM
Next thing you're going to tell me it's NOT Rodney singing.
I only just discovered that it's not Clive Dunn singing the Dad's Army opening theme.

I always thought it was 'poor', but being aware of the phrase 'at a stroke', assumed it was that. I'm not even acknowledging the possibility that it's 'rich or broke', though.

Cuellar

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 19, 2019, 07:56:56 PM
I've just remembered for a very long time I thought it was "crap ties" rather than "cracked ice".

What the fuck IS cracked ice? Drugs?

Utter Shit

Reviews are in after the first press performance last night. Mostly tentative thumbs up, better than expected for sure.

jenna appleseed

The theme tune medley 'just' got played on the 'Elaine Page & her annoying laugh plays songs from Disney, pop songs from films & juke box musicals, Cats  & other (non/)Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals' show on radio 2.

The theme tune's in the wrong order, there an extra bit about Hooky Street I think with more products, on this version they def sing "Rich Or Broke" (even genius.com thinks it's "Black or white, rich or poor
We'll cut prices at a stroke")  and most of it sounded ironically/appropriately like a knock off version.
(obvious thing I've only just noticed the opening theme always was meant to sound like Chas and Dave )

idunnosomename

Quote from: Cuellar on February 20, 2019, 10:24:56 AM

basically ice for cocktails, in between ice cubes and fully crushed ice

I mean precisely the sort of thing you can imagine Del Boy trying to flog, some frozen water

Captain Z

Phil_A

Quote from: Cuellar on February 20, 2019, 10:24:56 AM

The boring explanation is it's jewellery.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ice
2)- Expensive jewelry, usually in the form of diamonds that is worn in either necklace, ring, chain, or earrings

TheMonk

Quote from: Phil_A on February 24, 2019, 07:08:36 PM
The boring explanation is it's jewellery.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ice
Considering some of the scenes in the musical are from post 1985, shouldn't Whitehouse don a cotton wool beard half way through the show?

Enzo

George White

Quote from: TheMonk on February 24, 2019, 07:57:55 PM
Considering some of the scenes in the musical are from post 1985, shouldn't Whitehouse don a cotton wool beard half way through the show?
I think it's basically a streamlining of events.

jenna appleseed

Ferris