Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:45:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pixar's Inside Out

Started by UncouthHayseed, March 10, 2015, 03:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Jeremy Clarkson took over the voice of the agent in Cars from whoever the fuck did it in the US.

Changing hockey is definitely weird though because, as has been pointed out, the audience is expected to otherwise get the frame of reference with regards to her hockey memories and Hockey Island and playing hockey in the new house and missing her old hockey team and trying out for a new hockey team.

colacentral

That localisation shit has always bothered me. It's not like they're selling more tickets in the UK because we want to hear Jonathan Ross deliver one line.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 07, 2015, 02:40:09 PM
But it's about the reality of growing up. If anything, having Bing Bong become Riley's kid's imaginary friend (or something similar) would have been both manipulative and unrealistic.

But to go back to the example of Toy Story 3, the reason that that film's ending works so well is that the film makers have it both ways: we get the message of Andy growing up and having to leave toys behind, but the toys get a new child owner. With the fantastical fictional world of Inside Out they could have invented a way to have it both ways too, surely.

Consignia

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 08, 2015, 06:56:32 PM
Jonathan Ross does a voice on Shrek 2, and Kate Thornton, replacing Larry King and Joan Rivers. Fuck knows why.

The Shrek 2 was particularly awful, because there was a significant extra which they didn't re-dub for the UK market, so it had Larry King back. And I think the character appears in the sequels without Ross. It's stupid stunt casting in the first place, who needs shitty cameos from people who can't act. And then further shit; needless localisation. I think there's a thread in there somewhere.

BritishHobo

It's especially bad because, while I'm not sure about King, Joan Rivers is playing Joan Rivers, so even though they replaced the voice with Kate Thornton, the character still looks identical to Rivers.

Consignia

King's character is fine. An ugly step sister, IIRC, who doesn't resemble the real person. Your right though, Rivers was playing herself. There's no real joke there, it's just oh look the person commenting on the celebs in Shrek world is the same person in the real world. So it's pointless in the first place, and then skewer it with a crappy recast.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: colacentral on August 08, 2015, 07:09:42 PM
That localisation shit has always bothered me. It's not like they're selling more tickets in the UK because we want to hear Jonathan Ross deliver one line.

But to go back to the example of Toy Story 3, the reason that that film's ending works so well is that the film makers have it both ways: we get the message of Andy growing up and having to leave toys behind, but the toys get a new child owner. With the fantastical fictional world of Inside Out they could have invented a way to have it both ways too, surely.

A fair point, but you would have to admit, these are two different films. I think that much is clear.

Replies From View

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 09, 2015, 12:39:27 AM
A fair point, but you would have to admit, these are two different films. I think that much is clear.

Maybe they are the same film though, ahh.

Thursday

I saw this earlier, it was really lovely, even though the internal logic problems are a bit of a mess.

More highly original opinions like this one coming soon.

I haven't read any of this thread, but isn't this the same premise as CaB-favourite Meet Dave?

Artemis

Saw this tonight and thought it was brilliant. I wasn't at all impressed with the trailers, which made it look like a concept they were going to fall short of pulling off, but the end result was superb. Like others have said, it was bursting with ideas, and although I was surrounded by stereo sniffles, I held up well. Mainly because I was on a date, but sadly, unlike Pixar, I didn't get a pulling off.

Sam

Lava: GRAVE

Inside Out: ACES

El Unicornio, mang

I thought this was brilliant, as I expected. Might be my favourite film of 2015, along with Mad Max. Particularly liked the abstract room scene.

Spoiler alert
Dammit, Bing Bong.
[close]