Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:13:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pixar's Inside Out

Started by UncouthHayseed, March 10, 2015, 03:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: David Rattigan on March 10, 2015, 03:17:40 PM
Pixar, the studio that can do no wrong (except maybe Cars 2, Brave, and Monsters University - and potentially Finding Dory, Toy Story 4, The Incredibles 2, and Cars 3, arriving in the next few years), have released another trailer for their new movie, "a major emotion picture": Inside Out.

Hey now! Brave was grand, it just suffered from being A Computer Animated Children's Film, which meant everyone assumed it had to have wacky cute animal sidekicks and whizz-bang action and so on, but it was far more in the vein of Ghibli-esque magical adventures (albeit a bit more obvious and without as much imagination). And Monsters University was great. A minor entry in the Pixar canon, but stuffed to busting with charm, talent and chuckles. A lovely film.

Cars 2 can fuck off, mind.

As for this - I loved the teaser that came out ages back, which was just the family having dinner. Quite a lot less enthused by this trailer, which looks to have a generic Pixar "let's go from A to Z, having episodic adventures along the way" plot. Hopefully they'll do a good job of meshing the real-world stuff with the business in her brain, though.

Harpo Speaks

Joke about 'Bears' in San Francisco for the adults there I see.

Will this be as good as The Numskulls from The Beano?

Quote from: Mister Six on March 11, 2015, 04:08:38 PMHey now! Brave was grand, it just suffered from being A Computer Animated Children's Film, which meant everyone assumed it had to have wacky cute animal sidekicks and whizz-bang action and so on, but it was far more in the vein of Ghibli-esque magical adventures (albeit a bit more obvious and without as much imagination). And Monsters University was great. A minor entry in the Pixar canon, but stuffed to busting with charm, talent and chuckles. A lovely film.

Haha, yes, I was only kidding. I know a lot of people are sniffy about Brave and Monsters University, so I included that line, but personally I'm a huge, mega, gigantic fan of both. The films are characteristically visual masterpieces, especially Merida's springy hair, and it's fantastic a mother-daughter relationship underpins Brave.

Blinder Data

Quote from: David Rattigan on March 11, 2015, 05:21:46 PM
Haha, yes, I was only kidding. I know a lot of people are sniffy about Brave and Monsters University, so I included that line, but personally I'm a huge, mega, gigantic fan of both. The films are characteristically visual masterpieces, especially Merida's springy hair, and it's fantastic a mother-daughter relationship underpins Brave.

Yep - Brave is a film that appears to be much more affecting for women than men, even though personally I found it very enjoyable and moving as a red-blooded well-hung masculine male.

I think it's possible the film's mother-daughter focus might be why it's not quite as universally regarded as the other Pixars.

Steven

And Steve Purcell co-wrote and directed Brave, all these threads are converging.

Phil_A

I've always felt "Brave" was about a tenth as affecting as it would've been if Brenda Chapman had been allowed to complete it on her own terms. It was, after all, supposed to be a deeply personal story inspired by her relationship with her own mother. But then she got kicked off halfway through for still unexplained reasons, and what we got in the end felt like it had gone on the directorial merry-go-round one too many times, losing something vital along the way.

Steven

Shame about Brave, I haven't seen it but have heard it missed the mark, shame about the production. Steve Purcell has been involved peripherally in other projects over there but I don't know why he was brought in as co-writer/director, but I do wish they gave him his own big project for once, a Sam & Max animated movie would be great but anything else would be interesting.

Disney did start a project with Salvador Dali back in the 40s that was shelved, I think they put it out a while back. It's the kind of inspiration you could merge with computer graphics to create an interesting style. Obviously they tried using computers to finish it and it didn't come out too well, hence the little fanfare it must have had, but it's the kind of thing worth considering. The 2.5D of something like Thief And The Cobbler is another avenue I'm sure would be achievable with the technology, just please something different than the rag tag group of talking rawl plugs with sass and talk of "shakin booties" fucking shite, please!

BritishHobo

The early pages of Jim Hill's site are a proper treasure trove of stories about great Disney ideas that never managed to get off the ground. The Chanticleer Saga is a good example.

These days he seems to mainly do news and rewrites of PR stuff which is a shame.

Yes, Salvador and Walt were good pals. I've always liked this photo of Dali enjoying a trip on Walt Disney's model train (that's Ward Kimball as engineer at the front, there. A brilliant animator).

Disney's Paperman utilises that "2.5D" style. It is EXCELLENT.

http://youtu.be/mM6cLnscmO8

In black and white, too. Very snazzy.

Replies From View

Why is Wall-E constantly rated amongst Pixar's best films?  It is very weak indeed.

Replies From View

Quote from: David Rattigan on March 11, 2015, 10:18:49 PM
Disney's Paperman utilises that "2.5D" style. It is EXCELLENT.

So does Prince of Persia 2.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on March 12, 2015, 08:18:28 PM
Why is Wall-E constantly rated amongst Pixar's best films?  It is very weak indeed.
I wouldn't call it weak, but I certainly feel that the first half is a touch overrated. Sure it's unusual to go without dialogue for so long, but in practice I didn't find it all that mindblowing. And yes, post apocalyptic earth isn't your typical setting for a family film, but the spaceship with the giant baby people is no less interesting

Replies From View

I think the atmospheric scene setting is fine.  It's once the female iBot turns up and the plot turns into the romance between two can openers in space that it goes dull.

SavageHedgehog

Fun Fact: I own the second disc that goes with Wall-E but not the first disc, i.e. the film itself.

Well maybe that wasn't so much fun as it was uninteresting to everyone else, but it is true.

mothman

I note that so far there's been no mention of Ratatouille, so I hesitate to bring it up, but I do feel a great deal of love for it and that's just from exposure to it on TV the last few Christmases.[nb]I initially missed out on many of the mid-to-late-noughties Pixar efforts, because I had small children not really old enough to take to the cinema[/nb] Much of that affection does have to do with the scene where Ego tries the ratatouille, which to my mind is the best depiction of taste and memory and the link between that I've seen on-screen. Along with The Incredibles (and the For The Birds short), it's one of my favourite Pixar efforts.

Thursday

Brave definitely suffered the Pixar problem of becoming too much of a generic wacky cartoon in the 2nd half of the film. The complexities of a Mother/Daughter relationship solved because her mum turns into a bear and so she has to hide her until she turns back. I'd be interested to see what the original screenplay looked like. Still it made my niece want to do archery apparently, so there's that.

Not sure about this one, when I first heard the vague concept years ago it seemed fascinating and now it just looks like another Pixar film. I do still feel soured on them after the announcement of Toy Story 4, which may not even be fair, but it just seemed like the confirmation that they were just a corporate machine now, even if there was lots of evidence to suggest they already were.

BritishHobo

My big problem with Brave was that it seemed to entirely lack a middle. It had a fun set-up, a sweet conclusion, but nothing inbetween. When Merida and her mother went into the forest, I assumed it was about to launch into a Disney road trip/adventure thing, but within ten or so minutes they were back at the castle, and another ten or fifteen minutes later it was already into its climax.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mothman on March 14, 2015, 07:47:45 PM
I note that so far there's been no mention of Ratatouille, so I hesitate to bring it up, but I do feel a great deal of love for it and that's just from exposure to it on TV the last few Christmases.[nb]I initially missed out on many of the mid-to-late-noughties Pixar efforts, because I had small children not really old enough to take to the cinema[/nb] Much of that affection does have to do with the scene where Ego tries the ratatouille, which to my mind is the best depiction of taste and memory and the link between that I've seen on-screen. Along with The Incredibles (and the For The Birds short), it's one of my favourite Pixar efforts.

I haven't seen any of the Cars films but Ratatouille is the only Pixar film I haven't any time for. I don't know why, maybe it's due to my hatred of rats, maybe it's my hatred of kitchens, but I just didn't enjoy it that much.

Replies From View

Quote from: Thursday on March 17, 2015, 07:08:22 PM
Still it made my niece want to do archery apparently, so there's that.

Stages of Lesbianism:

Tendency to desire archery lessons (check);
PGL for further archery and tomboyism;
Female YMCA manifesto and steps towards resolving male-based school "issues";
The Wrens (female Navy) and associated female-only trips to McDonald's to talk the ladette (female cadette) talk;
Sister Suffragettes and associated "sarcastically singing 'well done!'" / "impotently stamping around the house in a masculine way" lessons;
Lesbian Certificate

You caused that, Thursday.  Don't you forget it.  A female niece's life ruined by beginning to desire archery.

mothman

Oh, great. My eldest is really seriously good at archery. I mean, we're at the stage of arranging our summer hols around a tournament she has in August. Now you say we have this to look forward to?!

Kidding. I want my kids to be happy, end of the day. Hey! Maybe CaB can set my daughter and Thursday's niece up?

Thursday

Too young at this point, sorry. I don't even know if she actually still has any interest.

Replies From View

Ah, go on.  He asked nicely.

phantom_power

Just saw this as part of Odeon's Screen Unseen. A bit of a shock as they are normally gritty, edgy films.

Anyway, a real return to form for Pixar, doing what they became famous, making idiosyncratic films with loads of heart, stuff for the kids and the adults and gorgeous to look at. A few moments where I got a bit of dust in my eye as well

BritishHobo

Aye, me too. I figured it would be Inside Out, as out of all the films being guessed, this was the only one that's already out in America.

Absolutely loved it. Absolutely bursting with ideas, and so much going on. Very reminiscent of Toy Story, not just in
Spoiler alert
Joy's relationship with Riley echoing Woody's feelings for Andy
[close]
, but more broadly in how beautiful and complex it manages to make such a simple premise. Sadness was a bloody lovely little character, and all.

Also I wept like a baby idiot at an enormous number of points.
Spoiler alert
Bing-Bong's totally unexpected sacrifice got me far more than it should've. That fucking elephant cunt.
[close]

phantom_power

Spoiler alert
That sigh at the end.
[close]
Fucking hell

BritishHobo

I can't get over how much fun that was. After Brave, which was so disappointing in how anaemic it felt (just when it feels like it's getting into its second act, it's suddenly at the climax), it's a huge delight to have a Pixar film with so much going on -
Spoiler alert
the personality islands, the abstract concept tunnel, Imagination Land, Pre-School Land, the Train of Thought, the movie studio where they make dreams, all this alongside the fun side-plot of Anger, Fear and Disgust trying to keep Riley happy.
[close]
Also the relationship between
Spoiler alert
Joy and Sadness was a wonderful basis for the film. I really liked that the pair of them, as well as Riley, were still learning and figuring out how they and the world around them worked.
[close]

Aaaah, this has left me on a massive high, even though it had me crying at at least five different points -
Spoiler alert
mostly to do with Joy and memories (the film's themes about the bittersweet and complex nature of memories are just beautiful), but also whenever Riley cried, because when someone in a film cries, I can't not.
[close]

Blinder Data

Well, I'd heard it was good but you're making it sound amazing. My hopes are high now; I will kill you both if it's a bad film.[nb]I quite liked Brave though so don't worry too much :)[/nb]

Johnny Textface

Why is this not out in the u.k?

popcorn

The Japanese title of this is "Insaido Heddo".

Japanese Friend says of this: "Simple is the best !!!"

BritishHobo

Quote from: Johnny Textface on June 23, 2015, 09:13:44 PM
Why is this not out in the u.k?

Disney's utterly madcap release schedule. All Marvel films come out a couple of days early in the UK,and all animated films come out months late. Anyone who can give me a legitimate reason for this is lying through their arsehole.