Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:07:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Burton's Dumbo

Started by Small Man Big Horse, March 10, 2015, 10:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Replies From View on November 17, 2018, 11:02:43 PM
I will henceforth be referring to this as one film at every opportunity.

I can't imagine there'll be many so make it a good one on your first crack at it 😊

Replies From View

Quote from: MidnightShambler on November 17, 2018, 11:58:47 PM
I can't imagine there'll be many so make it a good one on your first crack at it 😊

Oh I certainly will, but I will carve out other opportunities to do it as well; don't you worry.

Bazooka

Glebe

Replies From View

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on November 18, 2018, 01:46:43 AM
Some of us thought that about Alice in Wonderland...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOpeD_lHp0o

Everything about that is so bafflingly shit.  It couldn't be uglier to look at, and why did they choose that music of all things?  It reminds me of the music used for the Blue Midget dance, except it's a multi-million pound production where they can afford real musicians and instruments.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on November 18, 2018, 01:46:43 AM
Some of us thought that about Alice in Wonderland...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOpeD_lHp0o

I'd blocked that out of my memory. Deary me.

St_Eddie

NEW TRAILER

(with an awful cover of 'Baby Mine' by Arcade Fire, whoever the fuck they are).

Gahhhh!  That's pure nightmare fuel and not in the good 'Pink Elephants on Parade' kind of way.

Replies From View

Timothy

Trailer was amazing and Burton is great. Looking forward to this and the Lion King.

Aladdin looks crap though.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Timothy on March 06, 2019, 09:12:46 PM
Trailer was amazing and Burton is great. Looking forward to this and the Lion King.

Aladdin looks crap though.

can't even be bothered to come up with a different name for thy sock-puppet?

mothman

Trying to think what would be the most bizarre live-action Disney remake...

Kelvin

It does look better now they've taken 'damaged' off his forehead.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on March 06, 2019, 09:34:12 PM

Westward Ho, the Wagons! (1956)

St_Eddie

A fully live-action Song of the South?

garbed_attic

The Three Caballeros... it'd just an American guy encouraged by two South American guys to harass local women, interspersed with psychedelic trip sequences and edutaining factoids.

mothman

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on March 26, 2019, 09:42:19 PM
Guardian review: one star!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/26/dumbo-review-tim-burton-elephant-disney-thud

Ah, excellent.  I'm glad to see somebody within the media with the balls to push back against Disney's bullshit.

Bad Ambassador

I was going to suggest Fantasia, but they're actually working on that already.

How about Make Mine Music?

phantom_power

The Hunchback of Notre Dame might be a bit tricky in this day and age

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on March 27, 2019, 02:03:27 PM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame might be a bit tricky in this day and age

The Physically Impaired Person of Notre Dame.

Jerzy Bondov

I was lucky enough to be invited to a preview screening of this film and now that reviews are coming out I'm happy to say it's a triumph. I was as sceptical as the rest of you; I'm something of a lapsed Burton fan but for me he hasn't made a good film since Big Fish. Not any more. I hated Alice in Wonderland - really hated it - and the trailers for this made it look like the same sort of thing. But it's really, really not. It has such warmth, and heart, and grace. I was honestly bowled over by this film. My wife had to check I was okay at the end because my shoulders were bouncing up and down with my sobs. I can't believe how soul they have given little CGI elephant. You could swear he was real. Little Jumbo Jnr. has truly stolen my heart and wrapped it up in his big trunk, and taken flight up into the stratosphere. He is my good friend. I want that elephant to come and live in my house, and to curl up by my feet. I want to wash him in the bath and hold his hands. I want to give him chocolate and help him to fill in forms to get dole money. I want this elephant to follow me around everywhere and I want my friends to laugh and smile when they see him, and give him a little kiss on the head. This elephant is truly the best of us all. God bless you Tim Burton and your elephant. God bless you.

St_Eddie

I'm glad that you enjoyed it.  However, I hate it at a conceptual level and I'm also fairly sure that I'll hate it as a movie in its own right, were I to ever watch it, which I won't.  Everything about the verging-on-a-monopoly-Disney and the remaking of their classic back catalogue pisses me off.

momatt

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 27, 2019, 04:47:27 PM
I hate it at a conceptual level and I'm also fairly sure that I'll hate it as a movie in its own right, were I to ever watch it, which I won't.

Mate.  Judging things you haven't experienced is a bit silly.

St_Eddie

Quote from: momatt on March 27, 2019, 04:55:16 PM
Mate.  Judging things you haven't experienced is a bit silly.

I don't need to watch Epic Movie to know that it's shite.  I don't need to watch Sharknado to know that it's shite.  I don't need to watch any new movie by Paul W.S. Anderson to know that it's shite.  I don't need to watch... well, you get the idea.

Besides, I've placed a self-imposed ban on Disney movies because it's extremely concerning to see what's happening with the House of Mouse, in terms of their influence within the movie industry.  I'm hardly going to break that ban to watch the remake of Dumbo, of all things, on the slight off-chance that I end up thinking 'that wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be'.

momatt

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 27, 2019, 05:00:51 PM
I don't need to watch Epic Movie to know that it's shite.  I don't need to watch Sharknado to know that it's shite.  I don't need to watch any new movie by Paul W.S. Anderson to know that it's shite.  I don't need to watch... well, you get the idea.

Yes you do!
There are different types of shite anyway.  There are loads of incredibly enjoyable, yet shite films.
If you don't want to watch it, that's fine of course.  But you're not allowed to judge it.

If it's a moral thing, then just download it for free at some point.

madhair60

ARGH PLEASE NOT THIS CONVERSATION AGAIN

St_Eddie

Quote from: momatt on March 27, 2019, 05:27:31 PM
There are different types of shite anyway.  There are loads of incredibly enjoyable, yet shite films.

I never said that there weren't.  It's pretty clear that in my previous post I wasn't using the word 'shite' in the context of 'incredibly enjoyable, yet shite'.  You're talking about subjectivity versus objectivity.  That's a whole different discussion and one which we'd do well not to delve into within this thread.

Quote from: momatt on March 27, 2019, 05:27:31 PMIf you don't want to watch it, that's fine of course.  But you're not allowed to judge it.

It's not as black and white as you're making it out to be.  I guarantee that like anyone else, you've made a judgment of a film or album without seeing it or listening to it, based upon your own personal tastes, at multiple points within your life.

Quote from: momatt on March 27, 2019, 05:27:31 PMIf it's a moral thing, then just download it for free at some point.

Very well, I will do.  I've read enough reviews to have a pretty good grasp of what kind of a bloated and toothless remake this is and know that it's not my sort of thing but none the less, I shall subject myself to it via an illegal download.  A waste of time and bandwidth but if that's the only means by which I'm allowed to have an opinion on it, then that's what I'll do.

Jerzy Bondov

Posting to remove the edit glitch and to say I've not actually seen this film; nor will I ever.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 27, 2019, 07:56:07 PM
Posting to remove the edit glitch and to say I've not actually seen this film; nor will I ever.

Good man.  On both counts.