Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy": The definitive WW2 films thread

Started by Blinder Data, March 12, 2015, 04:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

great_badir

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 28, 2015, 08:25:34 PM
I'd nominate Play Dirty as worth a watch. And the Olly Reid film mentioned above is Hannibal Brooks, which is the best film Michael Winner ever...even...churned out.

Wrong - The Mechanic is his best film.

As is Death Wish 3, but for all the wrong reasons.

gatchamandave

Quote from: great_badir on March 30, 2015, 08:30:18 AM
Wrong - The Mechanic is his best film.

As is Death Wish 3, but for all the wrong reasons.

I concede your point.

Endicott

Did someone mention The Train. Classic movie. I can hear the sound of the shunting yard just thinking about it.

For top notch Sunday afternoon viewing, Tora! Tora! Tora!

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Now that we've got CGI etc. we ought to be in a golden age for war films now, as we can finally get somewhere near to actual realism about the confusion and chaos that occurs in a real tank battle. Ditto for air battles, marine landings etc.

Tapiocahead

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 16, 2015, 05:33:26 PM
Kelly's Heroes reminds me of The Dirty Dozen, due to Telly appearing in both.

Speaking of which, does anyone know why they took him on the mission in the latter? The rest of the dozen are all hard nuts. He's just a total mental.

Donald Sutherland's in both as well, although very different characters.

I don't know why they took Telly on the mission.

great_badir

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on April 05, 2015, 06:43:50 PM
Now that we've got CGI etc. we ought to be in a golden age for war films now, as we can finally get somewhere near to actual realism about the confusion and chaos that occurs in a real tank battle. Ditto for air battles, marine landings etc.

Unfortunately CGI still looks like a computer game.

Dex Sawash

Just watched Fritz Lang's Man Hunt (1941)
Concept had promise. Pacing of these old films is hard to deal with. Would like to see an updated version of this story. Kind of shit but nice B&W though.

Mijkediablo

Dealing with the ruins of Germany in the immediate aftermath of the end of the war, but Germany Year Zero (1946) is harrowing as fuck. A bunch of families all crammed into one tiny apartment, women and young girls forced by circumstance into prostitution, hints of paedophilia, all culminating in
Spoiler alert
patricide and child suicide
[close]
- and with a backdrop of a ruined Berlin, piles of rubble and half-destroyed buildings become the playgrounds of the young. The acting is of differing quality- some amazing performances, some very weak- but the film is bleak and it stays with you.