Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:13:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

1Mbps connections??

Started by Pinball, February 02, 2004, 09:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

I've got a 512kbps BTopenworld connection (£29.99pcm) and wanted to upgrade to 1Mbps (£40.99pcm). You may have seen my post on the old new site ;-)

Any road up, DON'T DO IT!!! (With BT anyway). Whereas my current 512k account has unlimited bandwidth, new BT accounts (512k & 1M) have a 1GB per day download limit. Like, what''s the point, man? Presumably, existing accounts will soon be converted by BT to 1GB limit too. What's more, the Scottish call centre guy told me that customers who want >1GB per day are not the sort of customers BTopenworld wants!!! I kid you not. Cheeky mofo.

So, given that BT are shortly to lose my custom, which ISP would y'all recommend for unlimited ADSL bandwidth @ 1Mbps??

@ssmaster

www.eclipse.co.uk , if I had ADSL I would go with these guys. You get up to 4 static IP addresses free as well.

terminallyrelaxed

You have to state a good reason though - I asked for the four and they gave me two. But otherwise their pretty good, and yo can have invoice billing too. I'm on the hlaf meg and going up to one meg next month....

Timmay

Zen. £39.95 inc VAT, free backup dial-in account, 4 free static IP addresses (if you want them, and only need to explain yourself if you want more than that).

Frankly, anyone mentioned on this page would be fine I weckon.

Pinball

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"You have to state a good reason though - I asked for the four and they gave me two. But otherwise their pretty good, and yo can have invoice billing too. I'm on the hlaf meg and going up to one meg next month....
And they're genuinely unlimited bandwidth, say 3GB per day??

wasp_f15ting

Have you tried these bastards?

http://www.bulldogdsl.com

They have some wierd and wonderful 2megs that are primetime pieces at 2mb and the 512 at all other times.

I personally cant be arsed.. my 512 brings enough stuff down, and if ever I need anything badly I just go and hook my LaCie drive to the T3 line downstairs surgery ;)

DonkeyRods

Quote from: "Pinball"
Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"You have to state a good reason though - I asked for the four and they gave me two. But otherwise their pretty good, and yo can have invoice billing too. I'm on the hlaf meg and going up to one meg next month....

3GB per day? Jesus man...you've gotta tell me what password sites you use!

seriously though, even uncapped ISP's might have problems with that kind of bandwidth use...you should mention your needs straight off just in case they change their minds

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Pinball"

I didn't know about the IP addresses, i'll have to ask about them. I do like the invoice billing, though.

As far as bandwidth goes, i am downloading consistently and have never had a problem. Just checking Netbarrier, and I have downloaded 37Gb in the last 23 days.

gazzyk1ns

Hey Pinball, that cap is just a guideline as far as I know - as long as you don't "abuse" your connection everyday you'll not hear anything. I put the quote marks in there because I agree that when you sign up for a connection you should be able to use 100% of the speed for 100% of the time, anything less is ridiculous. Kind of like buying an 80GB hard disk and then the manufacturers saying "Well, It's only 70GB of course... don't expect to abuse it, mate...".

See this thread for more.

I think everyone has been spot on with their recommendations here, Eclipse are usually regarded as a bit of a cut above the rest I think... though I don't know anyone with them. My mate is with Zen and he couldn't be happier.

My personal opinion is the same as Waspy's, for me my 500K connection is enough. I might reconsider if they were bumping up my upstream too but SDSL is still really expensive even if you live in an area with an enabled exchange.

Rats

Why would you need more than one ip address? What's all that about?

Timmay

Quote from: "Rats"Why would you need more than one ip address? What's all that about?
You can download more - use 2 IP addresses, and get twice the bandwidth. 4 IP addresses, 4 times the bandwidth, etc etc.

Rats

Ah I see, like for a site that has a restriction. Me sees, me sees.

danielreal2k

Just out of interest - does anyone here use Satalite internet access?
i can't get broadband where I live, but can get a grant for satalite access to bring down the costs in scale with adsl ,

I'm fed up of dialup after many years - fecking annoying.

gazzyk1ns

No experience or first-hand stories of it here, but apparently it's not that practical for browsing in general - there's a delay whenever you request anything from what I understand. Not a problem when downloading a massive file, there will be the delay but then it'll start coming in big lumps... but with browsing I assume it could be similar to dialup where normal-sized pages are concerned.

Best thing to do rather than listen to me guess about something I know little about would be to head over to adslguide.org and ask all the questions you've got in the appropriate forum, here.

Can you not get ADSL because you're too far from the exchange, or because the exchange hasn't been enabled? In either case maybe you should look at cheap ISPs for 64K ISDN until something better is available? 64K sounds shit compared with DSL/cable but I was on it for a little while and there is a massive difference compared to 56K dialup. In real use it's very close to being twice as fast.

hoverdonkey

I've got Blueyonder 2MB for £50 a month, which is unlimited, but I only pay that much cos I don't have to pay for Sky. Never had any problems with them at all

MojoJojo

Heheh, we signed up awhile ago, and got eight.
It helps having a housemate who knows lots of things that won't work over NAT, and can fill up a form with appropriate technobabble
That said, with 3 computing post graduates in the house we've still managed to run out.

Eclipse do seem to be pretty damn good. We have eMule running 24/7 on our router and ain't had any complaints.

A 1Gb limit isn't that bad .... it's like 3hrs of fairly high quality divx. If you really want to watch more than that, you should try going outside more.

MonkeyDrummer

I used to have wirless DSL which we got when ADSL wasn't available. It was pish, but the company i used (Tele2/Firstnet/Pipex) have been criticised for the equipment it used. it just seemed really erratic, and now we're on standard ADSL.

daveytaylor

Quote from: "Timmay"
Quote from: "Rats"Why would you need more than one ip address? What's all that about?
You can download more - use 2 IP addresses, and get twice the bandwidth. 4 IP addresses, 4 times the bandwidth, etc etc.

Eh?

If you have a 1Mb connection and two IP addresses you can use on that connection you still only have 1MB. It's just that the 1Mb will be shared between the 2 machines.

I know Blueyonder comes in for some stick but I've found them good for dial up and my brother-in-law has a great 1mb account with them. 512 is only £25 per month (so long as you have a TV or phone package with them) and 1Mb is, I think, £35.

Of course, you need to have access to Blueyonder in your area.

Pinball

Quote from: "MojoJojo"A 1Gb limit isn't that bad .... it's like 3hrs of fairly high quality divx. If you really want to watch more than that, you should try going outside more.
Who said I'm indoors? ;-)