Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris / Armando Iannucci cut-ups

Started by Robot DeNiro, March 17, 2015, 10:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robot DeNiro

I'm being interviewed tomorrow for a documentary about cut-ups / mash-ups.  I want to talk about Morris and Iannucci being masters of the form, and could really do with a few examples to back me up. There's the Nicholas Parsons poem on Brass Eye, Bishop Slips from Blue Jam and Iannucci's compressed Our Tunes, but I know there are lots more.  Unfortunately I can't think of them right now and don't have time to trawl through On The Hour etc to find them. 

Do you have any favourites that I should mention, and do you know where I can find them?  Well, do you?  Thanks.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I've always enjoyed Iannucci's family values remix of Prince's Sexy MF.

Robot DeNiro

That's great, thanks.  I'm not sure if I've listened to all of Iannucci's Radio One shows, I really should get round to it.

Thomas

Were there a few cut-ups sprinkled through the Chris Morris Music Shows? Something about Phil Collins being a little wanker?

There were those George Bush speeches, too.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Thomas on March 17, 2015, 11:10:00 AM
Were there a few cut-ups sprinkled through the Chris Morris Music Shows? Something about Phil Collins being a little wanker?

Alice Cooper saying 'Isn't Sybil Ruscoe a twat?' was always my favourite.

Oh and Max Clifford shoving baby mice up his arse.  That was a good 'un.

Robot DeNiro

"Hi, I'm Whigfield, and I like pissing on baby mice".  Something like that, anyway.

Are there many cut ups in On the Hour?  I think there's a weather one in one episode, can anyone remember any others?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Some of the R1 Music show cut ups I can recall (from memory):

"This is Alice Cooper, isn't Sybil Ruscoe a twat"

"This is Cyndi Lauper, isn't Phil Collins a little wanker"

"Hi, this is Whigfield, I think Naomi Cambell has a gravel fanny disorder."

Max Clifford liked pissing on baby mice and then "Shoving them right up my arse."

"Hi this is Bruno Brooks... Cunt."

"In certain circumstances, it may be necessary and correct to administer smack to your child."

There's also the episode that starts with multiple versions of Madonna reciting bawdy versions of AA Milne.

And of course, the R1 Sound Advisors: "We ain't got no fucking idea"

The first episode of Blue Jam has the Newsbeat cut up, which completely caught me off guard the first time I heard it.

Thomas

Kane Jones

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on March 17, 2015, 03:10:04 PM
The first episode of Blue Jam has the Newsbeat cut up, which completely caught me off guard the first time I heard it.

Oh yes, this might be my favourite actually.  Took me completely by surprise.

Captain Z

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on March 17, 2015, 12:14:32 PM
"Hi, I'm Whigfield, and I like pissing on baby mice".  Something like that, anyway.

Are there many cut ups in On the Hour?  I think there's a weather one in one episode, can anyone remember any others?

The intro to On The Hour is made up of a few cut or 'out of context' clips, e.g. "what you mustn't do in politics is listen to people".

There's quite a few musical ones in 'Time Trumpet', although I'm guessing you know these and I don't think it was very highly regarded here.

East of Eden

Not 100% what you mean by cut-up, would the Enoch Powell "Britain without a monarchy is like an elephant without a trunk. ITS NOT AN ELEPHANT!" count? Always made me chuckle.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: East of Eden on March 18, 2015, 08:52:17 PM
Not 100% what you mean by cut-up, would the Enoch Powell "Britain without a monarchy is like an elephant without a trunk. ITS NOT AN ELEPHANT!" count? Always made me chuckle.

Cut ups refer to editing and splicing recorded audio in such a way as to make the speaker say something entirely different, using the noises they legitimately made.

East of Eden

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on March 18, 2015, 10:53:14 PM
Cut ups refer to editing and splicing recorded audio in such a way as to make the speaker say something entirely different, using the noises they legitimately made.

Cheers, appreciate it.