Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,475
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

90s videogame show Bad Influence now available on line

Started by Bhazor, March 21, 2015, 11:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

I don't know why. But it's there in all its VHS glory

Episode one includes groundbreaking Virtual Reality and the Newest Mario Kart game. Ha how things have changed, we don't have any of that nonsense anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_K6XNo60g

Also a review by an 8 year old girl

"I like the sound effects. The way he screams and the gun shoots."

Spiral King

As I recall, it's been up there (in parts) since like 2010, but any excuse to revisit these cringe fests.

Favourite parts include Violet Berlin practically fellating Rare over their GROUNDBREAKING DONKEY KONG GRAPHICS and Andy Crane pretending to flog pirated games, before explaining how bad and evil piracy was. They even destroy a pirated floppy disk on screen to prove their point!!

I forgot there was a part 2 to the piracy segment, but it isn't nearly as cringe-worthy.

EDIT: Added time stamped YouTube videos to the relevant embarrassing sections.

Steven

Violet Berlin could never pronounce Nintendo shit properly.. "And now here's a new game for the SNEZZ!"

URGH!

Also Nam Rood was Door Man backwards.. err, for some reason.

Funnily enough, I was watching Kimble Justice's latest video earlier and was convinced I had somehow contrived to miss this show at the time until there was a clip of that guy in the shed channeling Vyv. Then it all came back to me.

Spiral King

Quote from: Steven on March 21, 2015, 11:13:19 PM
Violet Berlin could never pronounce Nintendo shit properly.. "And now here's a new game for the SNEZZ!"

In general, Violet Berlin sounds like a five year old boy, so it's not surprising.

Also Nam Rood was Door Man backwards.. err, for some reason.

Because he provided the BACK DOOR to video games cheats and tips!!!!! GEDDIT?!?!?!?!?!

urghghhhhh

Bhazor

I always slightly fancied Violet. She was just so atypical for women on children's tv. She looked more like a groupie for an aging original wave punk band.

At the age of 6 living in rural CofE Lincolnshire she was the closest I got to counter culture. And I was scared and fascinated by this braless videogame elf.

Phil_A

One of my great childhood disappointments was never being able to find a copy of the Bad Influence magazine, which in my (probably false) memory was advertised at the end of every show(including a FREE Right Said Fred tape!). Then I found out years later it had only lasted two issues.

Cool story, me.

Spiral King

Quote from: Phil_A on March 21, 2015, 11:52:41 PMwhich in my (probably false) memory was advertised at the end of every show

You're not wrong. It was definitely advertised heavily at the end of a few shows. Rather remarkable that it only lasted two issues, considering how many people clearly taped and archived the show.

Steven

Quote from: Bhazor on March 21, 2015, 11:31:57 PM
At the age of 6 living in rural CofE Lincolnshire she was the closest I got to counter culture. And I was scared and fascinated by this braless videogame elf.

biggytitbo

Here is Violet these days, a couple of big things stand out for me -

A) she looks completely different
B) she has aged very well

Replies From View

biggytitbo

Consignia

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 22, 2015, 09:03:58 AM
Here is Violet these days, a couple of big things stand out for me -

A) she looks completely different
B) she has aged very well

That picture is probably nearer chronically to Bad Influence than it is to today. She probably looks like Barry White these days or fully evolved into a charizard.

you can play as violet on some of the squeal Micro Machines games and give her an absolute thrashing if you feel inclined.

Steven

Careful now, she's married to:

He's not called 'Top' for nothing.

Spiteface

Quote from: Steven on March 22, 2015, 05:34:13 PM
Careful now, she's married to:

He's not called 'Top' for nothing.

I helped him get Manics tickets last year, amidst the bloodbath that was the ticket sales for the Holy Bible 20th Anniversary tour. He was most grateful. He's alright by me.

Spiral King

Quote from: Consignia on March 22, 2015, 05:02:31 PM
That picture is probably nearer chronically to Bad Influence than it is to today. She probably looks like Barry White these days or fully evolved into a charizard.

Your 4:3 VHS screencap is fooling no one, biggytitbo.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Bhazor on March 21, 2015, 11:00:17 PM

Also the logo characters were a bit of rip off of Bebop and Rocksteady from the Ninja Turtles.

madhair60

URGH!

But that is correct.

Beagle 2

Yeah I thought that.

I got that magazine and Right Said Fred cassette. Deeply Dippy as I recall. I remember there being a comic strip starring these two cunts:

And I remember thinking that I'd never actually noticed them before, and they should fuck off.

They made a huge deal out of the Barcode Battler, and actually made me want one. But Barcode Battlers were terrible.

only a nineties kid wud remember when we all used to call each other slimy furtlers which was never

mcbpete

Aye I always said 'Snezz' rather than 'Snesss' or 'Ess Enn Eee Ess'

El Unicornio, mang

I always said Snezz but it's definitely a Britishism. S-N-E-S is I think the standard nomenclature.

Consignia

To maximise annoyance, insist on calling it a Super Famicom.

Spiral King

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 23, 2015, 11:47:23 AM
They made a huge deal out of the Barcode Battler, and actually made me want one. But Barcode Battlers were terrible.

I've convinced that the producers of Barcode Battler had the best marketing department in the world. That can be the only explanation for everyone hyping up such a terrible product.

I said SNEZZZ when I was like 10 (mostly in a negative light, as I was a Mega Drive kid), but then I stopped being 10 and started calling it the S[nb]Which can be substituted for actually saying "Super", if you like![/nb]-N-E-S. There's no way to fuck that up.

Spiral King

Consignia

Barcode Battler is a nice idea in theory. Imagine if it actually created unique Pokemon-type characters, and had a battle system like that. The kids would have gone 'nanas for it.

Bhazor

Flicking through a couple episodes I think my favourite part is just how hilariously violent the majority of the games are. I mean the second episode had Splatterhouse 2.

The second episode also had them talking about percentage scores and how they're useless because they don't go below 60%. An argument still going on today. 20 years later.

I've now watched six episodes and I don't think Violet has worn a bra once. 5 Stars. Totally Jurassic.