Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:39:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cinderella (2015)

Started by Mister Six, March 24, 2015, 06:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Blimey, what a waste of money this was. A sumptuous live-action recreation of a film that's already been made just fine, thank you, with absolutely nothing added to the story at all. And in this time of films like Brave and Frozen, where female characters have agency and ambition, having a fairy story in which the female protagonist passively endures awful treatment and is then rewarded with a handsome prince for basically doing nothing at all (except being a bit nice to some mice) seems awfully backwards.

If the original film had never existed then perhaps it would have seemed like a pleasant throwback. But it does exist, and this film brings nothing to the table other than really nice set design and lovely dresses and shoes. The dialogue is clunky and leaden, and while the cast are mostly acceptable-to-rather-good,[nb]Though Cinderella's dad has distractingly crazy eyes.[/nb] especially Cate Blanchett's wicked stepmother, trotting out Helena Bonham Carter to do a generically kooky Tim Burtonesque fairy godmother burns away all goodwill.

CaldedonianGonzo and other Disney fans, have I missed the point here? I don't quite understand why it exists.

Thomas

Trivia from Wikipedia: an early variant of the tale was part of a short story collection called Lo cunto di li cunti.

Replies From View

It must be better than if Tim Burton had done it, at least.