Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

albums that have changed your life.

Started by Ratto, September 21, 2004, 01:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratto

the verve - a northern soul ( some tracks on this realised that i gotta get up and do something with my life and not lull in self pity)

Jeff buckley - grace ( just an amazing album that made me want to fall in and out of love, just so i could relate to it all)

Fuckwittio

Angels With Dirty Faces changed me from being a Tricky fan to somebody who wouldn't even say hello to the fucker on the street.

fanny splendid

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

When I discovered my girlfriend owned a copy of this, I cut a finger off snapping the thing in two.

A nine fingered fanny is no use to any one.

Fuckwittio

Oasis - Definitely Maybe.

"Life-changing"; "greatest album of the 90s"; "greatest British LP of all time"; "the finest British group since The Beatles".

Yeah, it changed my life. I stopped believing anything the critics told me. Mournful shite.

Ciarán2

Saint Etienne's "So Tough" and The Orb's "U.F.Orb" - together they completely changed my outlook on music, before that I was really conservative in my tastes, after I was buying dub, ancient obscure pop and northern soul, folk, acid house, girl groups... It was my age at the time too I was 15 in 1992. Before that I had shunned anything vaguely "indie" or "dancey". How wrong of me!

Up 'til then I shared a room with my brother and he bought all the records I had ever heard - many of which I struggled to tolerate at the time like Tim Buckley and Spyro Gyra (!!!) - but when he moved out and took all of his 500 or so records with him I had to start from scratch. "So Tough" became the springboard for almost all of my musical tastes. I had heard "Avenue" and it blew my mind, I bought "U.F.Orb" after seeing The Orb do "The Blue Room" on TOTP and thinking that it was the kind of thing my brother would never have bought.

I'm currently listening to Billy Bragg's "Must I Paint You A Picture?" compy, and it's quite a revelation.

vladyeti

"This Nation's Saving Grace" - The Fall.  The first Fall album I ever heard (I was 14), resulted in me seeing them live for the first time a year later, and spending the rest of my teenage years trawling record shops and fairs looking for all their other albums.  They just hit a chord with me, and were my favorite band by far.  I've still got all the early Fall albums on vinyl - I must get round to selling them on Ebay sometime.

I went off them for a few years after being very disappointed by "Shift-work", but they seem to be back on form in recent years.

Dr David V

Aphex Twin - Richard D James Album. It made me realise there's better music out there than what I'd find in Smash Hits.

mwude

Quote from: "Ciarán"The Orb's "U.F.Orb" completely changed my outlook on music, before that I was really conservative in my tastes, after I was buying dub, ancient obscure pop and northern soul, folk, acid house, girl groups... It was my age at the time too I was 15 in 1992. Before that I had shunned anything vaguely "indie" or "dancey". How wrong of me!

I bought "U.F.Orb" after seeing The Orb do "The Blue Room" on TOTP and thinking that it was the kind of thing my brother would never have bought.

Well I was going to tell my "U.F.Orb altered my entire view on music forever" story again (for the twentytwelfth time) but you've already done it for me.  Your version is 100% accurate apart from the fact that my brother was keen on Dire Straits rather than Spyro Gyra.  And I was 14 when I bought it in '94.  But besides that it's all absolutely identical to my experience.  I was going to accuse you of copying my life, but as you did it all 2 years before me I suppose I'm the plagiarist.

It was the sheer length of 'Blue Room' that astounded me at the time.  They were on TOTP and it was announced that at just shy of 40 minutes it was the longest single ever in chart history.  I'd known nothing other than standard 3 minute pop songs or seemingly really long ones like Bohemian Rhapsody before that.  It just seemed utterly extraordinary that a single piece of music could go on for 39 minutes and 58 seconds - I had albums with twelve songs on that lasted shorter than that!  It seemed worth investigating & it is also largely responsible for me spending too much money on cds throughout my adolescence.

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar - Struck a chord because it was about creating your own reality and not giving a fuck what anyone else had to say about it. Plus it managed to be heavy as fuck and beautiful with it. The lyrics are some of the best i've ever heard and he managed to carry it off with a terrific pop sensibility. It just had EVERYTHING. At that time in my life it was the most liberating piece of art i'd ever experienced.

Autechre - Chiastic Slide - Autechre in general, just for making music which sounds like it was created by a higher power.

Rage Against the Machine - RATM - Just completely incendiary. Made everything else sound shit. :-)

non capisco

'Paul's Boutique', The Beastie Boys
The rhyming got me into hip hop (I've got science for any occasion/Postulating theorems, formulating equations. They would never be quite this good again.) and the samples got me into funk.

El Unicornio, mang

Easy on the Definetly Maybe bashing, lads! That album definetly changed my life probably more than any other thing, as a 17-year old it struck a chord with me and got me out of my depressing metlar phase and into going out drinking with friends and listening to 60s rock and roll and the Britpop that emerged in the mid 90s. If it wasn't for that LP I'd probaby still be sitting in a dark room fingering an issue of Kerrang! and listening to Master of Puppets

Automatic for the People by REM is the album that got me into music (I had no interest in music before then) It was the first album I ever bought, and it remains my fave to this day.

chand

Mos Def - 'Black On Both Sides'
For saving me from an endless rut of crappy skinny white guitar bands and opening up a world of hip-hop, and all the genres and fun associated with it. That album and a cheap copy of 'Young Team' by Mogwai I picked up on a whim shook me out of my old ideas about what music had to be like and finally set me on the road to finding music that really inspired me to discover new things, and create stuff myself.

As for 'Definitely Maybe', back in those days it was one of the only albums I had, and I taught myself guitar to Oasis, so it definitely had a big impact on me.

Neville Chamberlain

Cardiacs - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window

Before hearing this, I listened exclusively to The Damned and The Men They Couldn't Hang (and was beginning to get dangerously interested in The Levellers). Then I heard ALMAAHATWWW and I though to myself I thought "Flippin' 'eck, that's good!" and went out and bought barrel loads of Cardiacs, Cardiacs-related stuff, not-so-Cardiacs-related stuff, and other stuff that was generally a bit weird - and I still love The Damned and The Men They Couldn't Hang!

Fuckwittio

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Easy on the Definetly Maybe bashing, lads!
If it wasn't for that LP I'd probaby still be sitting in a dark room fingering an issue of Kerrang! and listening to Master of Puppets

And what is wrong with that?

Nah, I can see why Definitely Maybe is so important to so many people, but I never understood what all the fuss was about. At the time, they seemed like an exciting proposition, and they were excellent when I saw them in Dublin in '94, but the album was a massive letdown, especially after all the fawning reviews. It starts off well enough, but becomes extremely boring to me after 'Live Forever'. As an American friend of mine commented: "What a load of fuss over such a profoundly mediocre band". I really don't get why they have been so lavishly praised over the years; their music lacks excitement, invention & imagination and I still hold them responsible for turning British rock backwards. They're still treated with maximum respect despite releasing nothing but dung since 1997, while so many more talented, innovative & charismatic bands have been ignored or ridiculed.

Sorry to piss on cherished memories, but I know it won't make a difference to you if you love this stuff. I gave Definitely Maybe a second chance when I was reading John Harris' superb The Last Party earlier this summer & was quite surprised by the strange production and how exotic 'Supersonic' or 'Shakermaker' sound compared to anything post-'Whatever'. But, intruiged though I was at first, I was bored shitless after a few songs & haven't listened to it since.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to attack my own sacred cows, my life-changing albums were Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money & Ween's Pure Guava. Attack away!

Jemble Fred

The White Album
The first glimmering that music wasn't just something you put on to fill a silence. It mattered.

Brewing Up With Billy Bragg
Set me on the path to giving a shit about  some form of life beyond getting pissed and wanking.

What's The Story (Morning Glory)
Kickstarted the second half of adolescence, made everyone who listened to it friends forever, and finally showed that the nineties could be good.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Fuckwittio"Anyhow, if anyone wants to attack my own sacred cows, my life-changing albums were Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money & Ween's Pure Guava. Attack away!

No point, dear, they're both too obscure to bother. And Zappa's quite good anyway.