Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:39:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Stearns.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, April 01, 2015, 01:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

I used to think that new age music was for turds until I discovered the ambient genius of Michael Stearns, best known for composing the soundtracks to Chronos and Bakara.

I avoided these films for ages, picturing them as copycat clones of the much loved Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi, but they are different beasts, with distinct identities, forging over vast timelapse tapestries... Never mind that Chronos travels a different path to Koyaanisqatsi in terms of music - the whole is available on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awz1ba7MabM). Check out the sequence from 24.19 to 27.41 as Stearns does to tempo what Glass does to repetition. The sequence begins with a tribute to 'Poland' / 'White Eagle' / 'Hyperborea' era Tangerine Dream before running off a musical cliff.... Berlin School is a huge stopping off point for Strearns. Zeit, for instance, resonates in his early works as well as the late 80s alien abduction concept piece, Encounter:

Building on Berlin School with some of Eno & Fripp's sonic experimentation plus the moody electronics of Laurie Spiegel, Stearns produced his best work with Planetary Unfolding:

One of the great ambient albums, utilising the Serge Synth. If you've never heard this instrument in action go to 38.55 and listen to 'Something's Moving...'

Serge

I thought you were making the Serge synth up until I checked it out on wikipedia. I like the sound of The Mighty Serge.

Will definitely check out Stearns, looks like he could be right up my boulevard.

EDIT: Just double checked, and one of his tracks (edited) is on the excellent Light In The Attic New Age compilation 'I Am The Center', which is well worth owning if you don't already.

Seconded for Planetary Enfolding, I dig this out quite often. I recall really wanting to enjoy Encounter but it didn't do anything for me.

Any space music aficionados on here? Any recommendations?