Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quickest Fall From Fame

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 08, 2015, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I was walking past a local comedy club the other day only to see Lee Nelson co-headling a night there soon. It's only a small venue and it really surprised me he was still going, especially as I haven't really heard anything about him since his Well Good Show. Which got me thinking about other 'comedy one hit wonders', or those like Dapper Laughs who had their time in the sun for a very short amount of time before suddenly becoming unpopular. Along with the genuinely brilliant ones who may have been just a bit too unusual for mainstream audiences. So who are your favourites? And most hated?

Mark Steels Stockbroker

thraxx

Higgs Boson.  The little cunt only lasted 0.0000000000000000000000156 seconds.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 08, 2015, 07:39:30 PM
I was walking past a local comedy club the other day only to see Lee Nelson co-headling a night there soon. It's only a small venue and it really surprised me he was still going, especially as I haven't really heard anything about him since his Well Good Show. Which got me thinking about other 'comedy one hit wonders', or those like Dapper Laughs who had their time in the sun for a very short amount of time before suddenly becoming unpopular. Along with the genuinely brilliant ones who may have been just a bit too unusual for mainstream audiences. So who are your favourites? And most hated?

Is Dapper Laughs really finished? I don't pay enough attention to know either way. Please tell me he's really finished.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I thought Lee Nelson was still doing ok. Not massive, but then he was never big on the Ali G/Pub Landlord scale.

Jake Thingray

His erratic behaviour and apparent personal problems have been mentioned more than a few times on here, down the years, so this may be unfair but Phil Kay's time in the sun didn't last long.

syntaxerror

He always seemed like a dick, what did/he has done?

Jake Thingray

If you Google CaB and his name, it's told in several threads, including a post from a Verbwhore who saw Kay live, that ended with "Then he got his nob out and started singing."

While Lee Nelson is Shit for Cunts™, I think your Simon Brodkin takes the traditional route of doing new material nights and club 10s/20s before he takes Lee on his big tours (he's got dozens of dates at few-thousand-seater theatres listed on his website). Despite him not being on telly any more, he's still doing venues that your CaB favourites would love to be playing.

mothman

What about Michael MacIntyre? He's not been on Mock The Week for AGES...

HappyTree

Justin Lee Collins. Not a comedian I know but boy did he fuck off sharpish.

hedgehog90

lee nelson is fucking shit.
that is all.

MuteBanana

Gillian McKeith really screwed her TV career by acting like a twat on I'm A Celebrity. She had it all and then gone.

daf

Quote from: MuteBanana on April 09, 2015, 10:23:55 AM
Gillian McKeith really screwed her TV career by acting like a twat on I'm A Celebrity. She had it all and then gone.

I think she was a busted flush before that - when it was revelaed that she wasn't a real doctor after all, and so was essentially just someone who liked looking at poo in a box.

Utter Shit

I've never seen anything of him other than the tedious promotional stunts, but Lee Nelson was very popular and reasonably respected on the circuit prior to telly wasn't he? He seemed to be on at Brighton Komedia all the time.

BlodwynPig

hamfist

Quote from: Jake Thingray on April 08, 2015, 09:36:07 PM
If you Google CaB and his name, it's told in several threads, including a post from a Verbwhore who saw Kay live, that ended with "Then he got his nob out and started singing."

And there's me with PETER Kay in my head wondering WTF ?!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 08, 2015, 07:39:30 PM
I was walking past a local comedy club the other day only to see Lee Nelson co-headling a night there soon. It's only a small venue and it really surprised me he was still going, especially as I haven't really heard anything about him since his Well Good Show. Which got me thinking about other 'comedy one hit wonders', ...

After the Well Good Show ended, Brodkin had another programme on BBC Three and am pretty sure has had various TV appearances – so I think it's fair to say his TV career has been a little more extended than you suggest. However, I think what you're saying this reflects an attitude of 'someone isn't on telly, therefore their career has stalled' or in this case, 'they had no career after or before TV' – Brodkin started as a successful live comedian, continued to work in that area when he had a couple of shows on TV and continues to do so.

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 09, 2015, 10:44:24 AM
I've never seen anything of him other than the tedious promotional stunts, but Lee Nelson was very popular and reasonably respected on the circuit prior to telly wasn't he? He seemed to be on at Brighton Komedia all the time.

Yes, I think that's a very fair assessment – Brodkin got a lot of very good write-ups (and FWIW, there were people who commented here about how good he was) and won a few awards. Although Nelson was the stand out character, he was doing other ones as well.

When Brodkin was branching out into television, he still continued grafting hard on the live circuit – and as pointed out above, continued to play smaller venues as well as bigger ones.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 09, 2015, 01:33:24 AM
Justin Lee Collins. Not a comedian I know

What do you mean not a comedian? The "Steve" joke could only be done by a man of considerable comic ability.

Jockice

Chris Moyles. Who I used to find quite funny when he did the pre-breakfast show on Radio One (look, I'm an insomniac, okay?) but ended up being unlistenable when they moved him into the prime slot (although it coincides with the period when I realised I was too old for that station anyway). And where is he now eh? Actually, don't bother tellling me. I can live without it.

Peter Serafanowicz.  Did one good sketch series, then...?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jockice on April 09, 2015, 12:05:02 PM
Chris Moyles. Who I used to find quite funny when he did the pre-breakfast show on Radio One (look, I'm an insomniac, okay?) but ended up being unlistenable when they moved him into the prime slot (although it coincides with the period when I realised I was too old for that station anyway). And where is he now eh? Actually, don't bother tellling me. I can live without it.

Moyles basically took early retirement a few years ago. He presumably wanted to spend more time with his money.

Benjaminos

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 09, 2015, 10:44:24 AM

That is not a hallmark of quality.

syntaxerror

Quote from: Jake Thingray on April 08, 2015, 09:36:07 PM

*oops*, I meant Lee Nelson. Still that was interesting nonetheless.

Quote from: Jockice on April 09, 2015, 12:05:02 PM

'Wobbly wobbly Wong!  My feet don't pong!'.  Oh my aching sides....

mook

lee hurst.

didn't he just jack it all in over ill health? or am i mixing him up with someone else.

Indomitable Spirit

Nick Hancock working in a estate agents and presenting fishing programmes on Discovery Shed. Admittedly, his retreat from the public eye was all his decision. Still odd considering how ubiquitous he was for a time.

Lee Hurst reducing himself to being sad, reactionary man on twitter.

Someone should right a longform article for a Sunday supplement about the curse of They Think It's All Over. I'd probably read it if I had the time.