Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:37:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quickest Fall From Fame

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 08, 2015, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jockice on July 13, 2017, 09:09:09 AM
As someone who occasionally got called a Joey (among other things) for the terrible crime of having a limp as a child I'd rather be more judgemental. I hope the little bastards have died slowly, painfully and all alone since then.

Jesus, that's a bit much. I got bullied for being fat a great deal but I don't wish that kind of fate on anyone. The best revenge is just forgetting such cunts exist and living your life without caring a jot about them.

yesitsme

Who was that bloke? Stood up at Lady Di's funeral and bad mouthed everyone? He was totally outrageous! I think his name was Earl.

Gulftastic

He won the lottery and used the money to put right all the things he'd done wrong. Hoping each time, that his next leap, would be the leap, home.

Jockice

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 13, 2017, 08:33:03 PM
Jesus, that's a bit much. I got bullied for being fat a great deal but I don't wish that kind of fate on anyone. The best revenge is just forgetting such cunts exist and living your life without caring a jot about them.

Ah, but I might just have been joking. Like all the insults thrown at me were just jokes. Apparently.

George White

Strictly is a lifeline to the Saturdays' careers, though Una Healy's gone back to her roots as a country 'n' Irish singer, like her uncle, notorious culchie warbler Declan Nerney.

Quote from: yesitsme on July 19, 2017, 09:10:34 PM
Who was that bloke? Stood up at Lady Di's funeral and bad mouthed everyone? He was totally outrageous! I think his name was Earl.

You're thinking of her brother Earl Spencer but head over to the obvious things you've only just realised thread for something shocking.

Rocket Surgery

Man, I wish somebody would shower me with banknotes as a prank.

George White

Paul Burling's doing panto with May McFettridge and Emmerdale's Claire King in Belfast, in a world where Marti Pellow is playing Abanazder in Bristol. Our world. http://www.its-behind-you.com/
Notice they all use the same scripts and logos.

Famous Mortimer

Everyone I thought of as I was reading this thread is still doing fine, in one case with a recurring role on Doctor Who, so it's more that I watch basically no telly and if they don't appear on one of a handful of podcasts, or appear in terrible B-movies, I assume they're surviving off cheap pot noodle ripoffs in a dingy flat somewhere.

Re: the very early pages of this thread, Kelly Monteith's "A Lousy Ten Grand" is on Dailymotion, if anyone would like to try it before sending the man a few quid for a copy.

Ferris

I take issue with the thread intent. Are we tracking a fall from fame where the nominee has committed an unspeakable act and is now toast (the Louis CK route), or are we tracking people who used to be everywhere but now have disappeared (the Omid Djalili route)?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 17, 2017, 02:55:24 PM
I take issue with the thread intent. Are we tracking a fall from fame where the nominee has committed an unspeakable act and is now toast (the Louis CK route), or are we tracking people who used to be everywhere but now have disappeared (the Omid Djalili route)?
Yes

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 17, 2017, 02:55:24 PM

Both are fine, though the latter is preferred.

I just noticed that Dapper Laughs co-wrote and starred in a comedy horror film this year: http://www.frightfest.co.uk/2017films/fanged-up.html - it's rated 6.1 on imdb but only 14 people have watched it so far.

Ferris

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 17, 2017, 07:56:16 PM
Both are fine, though the latter is preferred.

I just noticed that Dapper Laughs co-wrote and starred in a comedy horror film this year: http://www.frightfest.co.uk/2017films/fanged-up.html - it's rated 6.1 on imdb but only 14 people have watched it so far.

Ok then - Omid Djalili. He used to be everywhere. Also Dave Spikey seems to have gone awol.

Brundle-Fly

Dapper, Steven Berkoff AND Lucy Pinder!?!  Sold.

George White

RE: Vamped Up, features Lauren Socha, ex of Misfits, seen as a Bright New Hope, but then got outed for being a bit racist, and her career faltered.

Djalili still is busy as an actor. He's in the Mamma Mia sequel, sort of taken over from Nadim Sawalha as British film and TV's go to what Richard Herring calls, "the fourth ethnicity according to racists", or "the Nadim", i.e. not "Chinese" (which also includes anyone vaguely Asiatic), black or white, but "brown", i.e. Arab, Middle Eastern, Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi, Hispanic, Eastern/Southern European, etc.

George White

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 17, 2017, 02:49:24 PM
Everyone I thought of as I was reading this thread is still doing fine, in one case with a recurring role on Doctor Who
Is this Sharon D. Clarke?
Or Bradley Walsh.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: George White on December 17, 2017, 09:11:58 PM
Is this Sharon D. Clarke?
Or Bradley Walsh.
Ingrid Oliver - I remember there were a couple of female double-act shows on a while back which had good people in them but awful material, and seemed to die a death. But the people from them are still going strong-ish.

purlieu

QuoteOliver and her comedy partner Lorna Watson met at Tiffin Girls' School in Kingston upon Thames.
This is the poshest sentence I've read in ages.

Talking of "comedians" who had recurring roles in Doctor Who, it really is a crime that James Corden isn't suitable for this thread.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 17, 2017, 07:56:16 PM

oh christ i now have an unhealthy burning desire to see this at any cost

SteK

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 16, 2017, 10:30:11 PM
British, as far as I can tell, but he was doing a kind of fifties 'hep cat' swinger accent, which is why he reminded me of Mike Thecoolperson in some ways.

I was married to a relation of his, Roy Jay that is, his grandfather was Norwegian, and lived up Breighmet, one of the many rough ends of Bolton, went to visit a few times.

Was just wracking my brians to remember his name and I got it! Its was 'Solvi' - not sure how to spell it. Or what a Norwegian was doing in Bolton.

Seem to remember Roy Jay's real surname was Scandinavian-sounding. 

dr beat

Dave Spikey is either touring right now or due to tour very soon.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 20, 2017, 02:16:11 AM
oh christ i now have an unhealthy burning desire to see this at any cost

I know how you feel but luckily for us it's only been shown at festivals so far and isn't available online.

magval

Karen Taylor was famous for a while and then vanished because she was awful.

SteK

More info on Roy Jay from my (ex) brother in law...

QuoteHis dad was Aarvid and stepmum was Solvi. His real mum was Betty. Real name Roy Jorgensen, yes, Norwegian. Ollie Olsen was a name he came up with for a show as a country singer, I still have the cd. Complete alky, yes and died here (in Benidorm). He had emphysema.

SteK

and...

QuoteRoy did the whole sex, drugs and to rock n roll life. People either loved him or hated him. He didn't give a shit either way. Here in Beni, I got on great with him

Well can't argue with that.....

George White

That explains the weird accent, then.

DrGreggles

Quote from: magval on December 20, 2017, 02:09:21 PM
Karen Taylor was famous for a while and then vanished because she was awful.

Met her once in Edinburgh.
She was lovely.

Neither of these things make her show funny, but still...

magval

I remember her being quite dead-on on the sort of comedy Pop Idol thing on one of Jimmy Carr's early DVDs, but her sketch show has held up, over ten years later, as the worst I've ever seen.

RedRevolver

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 17, 2017, 07:58:03 PM
Ok then - Omid Djalili. He used to be everywhere. Also Dave Spikey seems to have gone awol.

Dave's around, and mega famous in Lancashire still. Which, bless him, is all he really wanted. Probably.