Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quickest Fall From Fame

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 08, 2015, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Travez

Quote from: kalowski on April 12, 2019, 01:47:28 PM
I loved that line in Ben Goldacre's book:

Dr Gillian McKeith PhD. Or, to give her her full medical title: Gillian McKeith.

not trying to diss Ben Goldacre, but I think that was a Jeremy Hardy line.

Regarding the Joey Deacon thing, I recall "Walter" being another case of a disabled character from TV being used by kids as insult material.

petril

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 14, 2019, 10:15:00 PM
Regarding the Joey Deacon thing, I recall "Walter" being another case of a disabled character from TV being used by kids as insult material.

makes it amusing watching The Wresting now, when there's a huge, not very chiselled lad called Walter who just fucking leathers people and doesn't really speak much

kalowski

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 14, 2019, 10:15:00 PM
"Cleanliness is next to Godliness!"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kalowski on April 12, 2019, 01:47:28 PM
I loved that line in Ben Goldacre's book:

Dr Gillian McKeith PhD. Or, to give her her full medical title: Gillian McKeith.

He also bought the same worthless phd McKeith had for his cat.

AVR2

Quote from: dr beat on April 12, 2019, 01:56:55 PM
Re: John Leslie, isn't his real name John Stott (oh Davey!) and didnt he nick the name from a historic Edinburgh pub?

I do know that back in the mid-90s, he drove a new-ish Porsche with an expired tax disc. If he hadn't been nice to me (I was working at a radio production company at the time and he'd come in to do a voiceover for something), I'd've grassed him up.

momatt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 14, 2019, 11:49:49 PM
He also bought the same worthless phd McKeith had for his cat.

Even better than that, his dead cat.

Angelos Epithemiou had a rapid fall from being good.

Keebleman

Can't be buggered going through all 31 pages so he may have already been mentioned, but Vaughan Meader's F from F was not only swift and complete but can be accurately dated: Nov 22, 1963.

In the early 60s Meader, after several years of trying to make it as a musician, decided to give stand-up a go.  He had been playing clubs for a few months to no great acclaim when two comedy writers came to see him.  They had penned a series of sketches about JFK and had heard that Meader not only did a passable impersonation of the president but also looked a little like him too.

The sketches were recorded and released as an album called The First Family in late 1962.  The record was a smash beyond all belief, expectations and indeed common sense, selling a million copies a week for nearly two months, requiring shops to open longer to accommodate the queues and turning Meader into a household name.

And then a Dallas admin worker called Lee Harvey Oswald, who also did a JFK impression and was jealous he hadn't got the gig (that's my theory - disprove it if you can), cooked up a scheme to scupper Meader's career.  It worked like a charm.  The First Family was recalled and deleted, and Meader, with so little experience and no personal following to capitalise upon, floundered and returned to playing the piano in small bars.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Keebleman on April 21, 2019, 03:19:26 AM
Can't be buggered going through all 31 pages so he may have already been mentioned, but Vaughan Meader's F from F was not only swift and complete but can be accurately dated: Nov 22, 1963.

In the early 60s Meader, after several years of trying to make it as a musician, decided to give stand-up a go.  He had been playing clubs for a few months to no great acclaim when two comedy writers came to see him.  They had penned a series of sketches about JFK and had heard that Meader not only did a passable impersonation of the president but also looked a little like him too.

The sketches were recorded and released as an album called The First Family in late 1962.  The record was a smash beyond all belief, expectations and indeed common sense, selling a million copies a week for nearly two months, requiring shops to open longer to accommodate the queues and turning Meader into a household name.

And then a Dallas admin worker called Lee Harvey Oswald, who also did a JFK impression and was jealous he hadn't got the gig (that's my theory - disprove it if you can), cooked up a scheme to scupper Meader's career.  It worked like a charm.  The First Family was recalled and deleted, and Meader, with so little experience and no personal following to capitalise upon, floundered and returned to playing the piano in small bars.

That's good post but a sad story.

Being known for impersonating just one contemporary public figure is always a poisoned chalice because while one can make hay while the sun shines as soon as that person has died, resigned or been disgraced, the show's over. Steve Nallon, springs to mind, the best Maggie Thatcher impersonator of the lot, (Janet Brown a close second), but his profile never really gained much traction post-1990.  Who wants this schtick anymore?
Conversely, you've got Mark Tedford as Thatch performing a highly regarded successful comedy game show in 2019.  Nallon must look on this reinvention with great interest, I would've thought?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Jittlebags on April 12, 2019, 02:22:53 PM
Speaking about John Leslie. What about FredAbi Titmuss? Is she still around? She weren't bad in that bliff vid with the dark lady.

All I remember about that was the following exchange:

Leslie: What's she doing to you Abi?
Titmuss: She's being very naughty. She's got her tongue up my arsehole.

I also believe Leslie to have been wanking throughout, just out of shot.

Icehaven

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2019, 01:57:29 PM
That's good post but a sad story.

Being known for impersonating just one contemporary public figure is always a poisoned chalice because while one can make hay while the sun shines as soon as that person has died, resigned or been disgraced, the show's over. Steve Nallon, springs to mind, the best Maggie Thatcher impersonator of the lot, (Janet Brown a close second), but his profile never really gained much traction post-1990.  Who wants this schtick anymore?
Conversely, you've got Mark Tedford as Thatch performing a highly regarded successful comedy game show in 2019.  Nallon must look on this reinvention with great interest, I would've thought?

Bit like how Rory Bremner never really recovered from Blair stepping down. I remember him being a talking head on news shows quite a bit around the time and repeatedly being asked what he was going to do now.

PowerButchi

Quote from: kalowski on April 14, 2019, 10:57:46 PM
"Cleanliness is next to Godliness!"

""Give us a feel. Let's have one. Hmm? Hmm? One little feel.""

PowerButchi

Shot his bolt! He's a virgin!

Gulftastic

Which Channel 4 despresso-drama had 'I want to make a baby!' in it? That was a playground catchphrase at my school.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: icehaven on April 21, 2019, 03:27:27 PM
Bit like how Rory Bremner never really recovered from Blair stepping down. I remember him being a talking head on news shows quite a bit around the time and repeatedly being asked what he was going to do now.

I think about the time of the Camerons, Cleggs, Milibands etc , Bremner was bemoaning the fact that they are all too alike with the same PR training and public speaking technique. Beige personalities with no discernible voices, attitudes and tics for an impressionist to hook onto.

Well, that's all changed now the world of politics is one big grotesque cartoon. Careful what you wish for, eh, Rory?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2019, 06:28:18 PM
I think about the time of the Camerons, Cleggs, Milibands etc , Bremner was bemoaning the fact that they are all too alike with the same PR training and public speaking technique. Beige personalities with no discernible voices, attitudes and tics for an impressionist to hook onto.

Well, that's all changed now the world of politics is one big grotesque cartoon. Careful what you wish for, eh, Rory?

Also isn't it kind of because of bremmners and the like 'satirising' fuck out of every quirk, tick or physical discrepancy, spitting imageifying every cunt that weirds, inst it precicley and only his fault that PR companies only let people that look and think like morph in a suit have a go on politics in the first bastad place? It is isn't it?

Alberon

I do miss Bremner's Michael Howard though.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you."

Spot on perfect in one line.

PowerButchi

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 21, 2019, 04:46:22 PM
Which Channel 4 despresso-drama had 'I want to make a baby!' in it? That was a playground catchphrase at my school.

The same one we were quoting - Walter. Ian McKellen says it to Jim Broadbent in the final scene.

https://youtu.be/Czt5She9azk?t=397

The best scene is definitely the "Let's have one!" scene though.

https://youtu.be/4yDrYPYTWdw?t=364

kngen

PlanktonSideburns

Ah right - I was wondering where the pictures were from

I assumed that the journo had said, pop this sleeping bag on, and look sad on the floor for me mate? Ta

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 21, 2019, 10:33:13 PM
Also isn't it kind of because of bremmners and the like 'satirising' fuck out of every quirk, tick or physical discrepancy, spitting imageifying every cunt that weirds, inst it precicley and only his fault that PR companies only let people that look and think like morph in a suit have a go on politics in the first bastad place? It is isn't it?

Sorry PS, I didn't understand your post one iota.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 22, 2019, 09:52:49 PM
Sorry PS, I didn't understand your post one iota.

Yea sorry might have had a bit of bank holiday fever there.
Can't make head nor arse of it myself

Brundle-Fly

Ha ha, I kind of got the gist. I often have those Bank Holiday feverish moments.

Urinal Cake

I would like to nominate Jonathan Bennett. Maybe not the quickest but sort of sad. From Lohan love interest in Mean Girls to 'Cake Wars' host to Big Brother contestant. And he hasn't really lost his boyish good looks either.

phantom_power

It probably means he is a cunt. I think that is usually what instigates a fall from grace. You can come back from a lot if you make friends, work hard and don't be a cunt to people. Loads of people have fucked up but got second chances because someone pulls some strings.

As for CJ Egghead, he seems like such a fantasist that I find it hard to believe any story involving him

The Lurker

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 23, 2019, 05:48:26 AM
I would like to nominate Jonathan Bennett. Maybe not the quickest but sort of sad. From Lohan love interest in Mean Girls to 'Cake Wars' host to Big Brother contestant. And he hasn't really lost his boyish good looks either.

He hasn't been that short of movie work since, to be fair. Most of it low-budget, "straight to video" crap but still work nonetheless. He has been able to milk his Mean Girls role in a few things as well.

Quote from: phantom_power on April 23, 2019, 09:51:41 AM
As for CJ Egghead, he seems like such a fantasist that I find it hard to believe any story involving him

Remember that time he killed a man? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 16, 2019, 11:52:16 PM
Angelos Epithemiou had a rapid fall from being good.

I suggest you listen to the Angelos and Barry potcast.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: phantom_power on April 23, 2019, 09:51:41 AM
It probably means he is a cunt. I think that is usually what instigates a fall from grace. You can come back from a lot if you make friends, work hard and don't be a cunt to people. Loads of people have fucked up but got second chances because someone pulls some strings.
Looking at wiki/IMDb he did get evicted first from BB.

In the early 2000s along with Chris Evans, Josh Harnett etc he seemed like future leading man material even if it was for romcoms.  But it turns he came out gay in 2014 so probably known  as a gay in Hollywood well before that. So that probably explains it. A decade is a long time.