Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:19:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the name of the blasted film I'm looking for...?

Started by Neville Chamberlain, April 09, 2015, 07:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

It was recommended to me a few months ago, only I've gone and completely forgotten its name! Here are some scraps of information...

1) Made in the 1970s
2) A TV anchorman suffers a breakdown on air (I think, possibly)
3) It's on Netflix but I still can't seem to locate it
4) ...er
5) That's it.

So, over to you, you kindly, knowledgeable bunch!

Neville Chamberlain

OK, that's it. Thread closed. For some reason, I had it in my head that it was called "Signals".

weekender

Maybe you're thinking of 'Signals' because of the film poster?

http://thefoxisblack.com/blogimages//network-movie.jpg

I don't only help with the film title, I help explain how your brain works!

Noodle Lizard

Bad Ambassador

Paaaaul

I watched Network on Blu-ray last night. Do I win the thread?

Puce Moment

Actually, that does sound like Network but I think this is the film you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEC_lkpD3rM

Dirty Boy

Can i hijack this please?

80's adult fantasy (not like that) film. All i really remember were killer mermaids who dragged you under the water and a general dystopian grimness. Like some weird amalgam of Star Wars/Mad Max 2.

MojoJojo

Buttress

Quote from: Dirty Boy on April 09, 2015, 02:54:07 PM

80's adult fantasy (not like that) film. All i really remember were killer mermaids who dragged you under the water and a general dystopian grimness. Like some weird amalgam of Star Wars/Mad Max 2.

Harry Potter 6, er, the one with the big cup in it. Teleports a kid to his death. It wasn't 80's but the special effects certainly look that dated by now.

Kane Jones

Krull or some shit?

Dirty Boy

Quote from: Kane Jones on April 09, 2015, 04:17:56 PM
Krull or some shit?
It deffo isn't Krull, but it's very much in that style. I'd say it maybe came out a year or two later. Futuristic swords'n'sorcery bollox. Possibly with robots. Not really a kids film (although i saw it as a kid).

Not much else to go on i'm afraid. It exists dammit!

ElTopo

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone?

bushwick

Is it Conquest by Lucio Fulci? don't remember any mermaids though but sounds similar, quite grim/violent/stupid with SF overtones. Or maybe The Sword And The Sorcerer?

bushwick

Dirty Boy

Quote from: ElTopo on April 10, 2015, 12:42:33 AM
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone?

I do believe this might be indeed it!

Now to watch it and find out it's nothing like i described...

Cerys

I caught the end of Big tonight, and was surprised by the ending - I remember it as ending with the thirteen-year-old version of the love interest showing up in Josh's class at school.  Obviously I was wrong - but what am I remembering?  I know it happens in a film or TV programme with a similar premise.  Help!

Kane Jones

Quote from: Cerys on April 12, 2015, 09:20:28 PM
I caught the end of Big tonight, and was surprised by the ending - I remember it as ending with the thirteen-year-old version of the love interest showing up in Josh's class at school.  Obviously I was wrong - but what am I remembering?  I know it happens in a film or TV programme with a similar premise.  Help!

Vice Versa, 18 Again, Like Father Like Son or some shit?

riotinlagos

Quote from: Cerys on April 12, 2015, 09:20:28 PM

A lot of people are adamant they saw that ending but apparently it never existed http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/20b8jm/looking_for_the_alternate_ending_to_big_with_tom/.

Either you're all confusing it with something else or... http://mandelaeffect.com/major-memories.

Edit: The boring answer is that it was probably this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6783tkwbZw0

Cerys

That'll be the one!  Thankyou for that.  Have a wodge of karma.

MuteBanana

A group of characters need to get through a drawbridge gate thingy and send a mouse/rat along the rope to gnaw through it. They may even pour wine down the rope. Do mice like wine?

Not Krull. That sort of film though.

Asked before. Nobody knew it. Saw it once, never remembered the title. It also has steep steps I think. Lot of steep steps going up to something.

Cerys

The Beastmaster.  It was a ferret.

Cerys

Dammit, MB, is this the blasted film you're looking for?!

Dex Sawash

^toilets are over in GB he'll be staying close 'round there

Cerys

DangledTeeth

A day's supply of karma (positive, of course) points for anyone who can provide a title to the following...

I once saw a crime/action film which is set in the future with a vague Shadowrun/cyber-punk feel to it. I'm sure the on-screen programme guide indicated it was a 1986 release. For some reason, I have a pairing of Bruce Willis and Woody Harrelson or Sean Penn stuck in my mind even though I've searched through their list of 80s-release films before and found nothing. I distinctly recall that one of the actors was suited for the detective role and identified him as somebody who starred in quite a few action films, and the other actor seemed out of place - maybe because I'm not familiar with his films.

I'm quite certain that the film was about a maverick detective type whose daughter was kidnapped for ransom by a run-of-the-mill drug lord, and he has to rescue her with his somewhat inexperienced partner/mate etc. 

Two scenes stick out in mind:

'Bruce Willis' - the action-copper who's attempting to rescue his kidnapped daughter - enters a bar[nb]and doesn't fall through it[/nb] and there's a square table-dancing section in the centre; he either uses the bar in order to make a phone call or to evade an incoming private security group (they might have been a much-feared corrupt police force) who perhaps had a connection with the sought-after crime overlord baddie cunt. They, the security/police mob, suddenly enter down a set of stairs and were dressed completely in black, but the leader of the group stood out because he wore a Darth Vader-style helmet (face exposed) and questioned a few people. The action-copper - I think - stepped forward, flashed his badge and managed to talk his way out of leaving without any conflict.

The second scene was the build-up to the ending. It starts off with the action duo doing a dive-roll into a rooftop penthouse window; they take cover behind a settee and gradually shoot everyone (except for the kidnapped daughter) and then follows the ending.

Had look again and found it - Tango and Cash, 1989; starring Sylvester Stallone and Kurt Russell. A trailer revealed it had a present-day setting and featured a group of ordinary policemen in black, not one of them wore a Darth Vader-style helmet, unfortunately.

Dex Sawash

Pit-Pat

There's a film I saw twice as a child, (so it was made in the early '90s at the very latest) and I'm still not completely sure if it was a film or a kind of three or four episode miniseries, but I've tried everything with IMDB keywords, Google searches etc. and I just can't find it.

Basically there were two men (maybe brothers or half brothers or cousins or something). One of them is either evil or turns evil as it goes along. He may well have blonde hair. It was set in the 17th, 18th or early 19th century, there's a whole lot of sword fighting along the way.

At the end the evil one, having learned some mystical tricks from the Orient (or Native Americans or something), is buried alive in a forest or on a mountain somewhere in order to hide or seem dead. He's supposed to be able to be revived as long as he's dug up in time, but he's left too long and actually dies. I'm sure he had stones or something put over his eyes during this.

Anyone have any clue what this might be?