Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:01:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs where you misheard the lyrics and like your version better

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, April 10, 2015, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

I thought Ariana Grande was singing 'Break a leg' in that 'Thank U, Next' song.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: oopett on April 16, 2018, 06:55:15 PM
When I was about 10 I thought the bit in Smells Like Teen Spirit when Kurt Cobain sings "her denial" was "ruddy Nile".  I kind of wish it was.

"roger taylor! roger taylor!" somewhat inexplicably at the end of the version performed on 'the word', aeons ago. I was there that night. jo whiley had booked them on a whim. good whim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcpcEo_veK4

blackcockerel

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 19, 2018, 02:20:42 AM
Any song that features 'the rain' can be substituted with 'Lorraine'

The Cult

Here comes Lorraine
I love Lorraine

The Beatles

If Lorraine comes
They run and hide their heads
They might as well be dead
If Lorraine comes
If Lorraine comes

Adele

"I set fire to Lorraine, watched her burn",

I can't stand Lorraine, at my window.

TheMonk

Quote from: blackcockerel on April 15, 2019, 09:37:02 AM
I can't stand Lorraine, at my window.
Here comes Lorraine again
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion

TheMonk

Quote from: Kryton on February 20, 2018, 03:29:14 PM
Also Paul Simon's 'You can call me Al' - I always thought the song was about a fellah called Eddie. 'Eddie when you can call me, you can call me aL'. I THOUGHT IT WAS A SONG ABOUT HIM MEETING HIS BODYGUARD FOR THE FIRST TIME AND TALKING ABOUT HIS LIFE.
It's not Eddie? What the fuck?

blackcockerel

Quote from: TheMonk on April 15, 2019, 12:39:23 PM
Here comes Lorraine again
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion

Take me in, dry Lorraine, Lorraine Lorraine,
Lorraine, Lorraine, Lorraine now.

grassbath

Dylan, 'You're a Big Girl Now'

For years I thought the first verse went

'Our conversation was short and sweet
It nearly swept me
Offa my feet
And I'm back in the ring
AAAAAAAAOOOOOOO'

But the lyric video for the hushed, achingly beautiful early take has made me realise that it is, in fact

'Our conversation was short and sweet
It nearly swept me
Offa my feet
And I'm back in the rain
AAAAAAAAOOOOOOO'

This version also subsitutes the 'AAAAAAAOOOOOO's for 'ooh-oohs' and 'mm-mms', which I can certainly live with.

But even though 'back in the rain' is an image congruous with the verse's next line - 'and you are on dry land' - I like 'back in the ring' coming after Dylan being swept off his feet. Twisting the pain into an invitation to combat. And then with the 'AAAAAOOOOO' on the album version it's like he's bodyslammed her or something.

On a related note, this version of 'Tangled Up in Blue' knocks the BotR take for six. There are two magic chords that are much more prominent here which give a real sense of danger, sadness and drama to the thing. And the way he sings 'working for a while in an airplane plant, loadin' cargo onto a truuuuuck' - like he knows that's a bit of a duff line, forecasting to the room that he's going to change that one, which of course eventually he did. But then - 'but all the while, he was alone, the past was close behind' - and those are even better, burn even brighter and hit even harder for the tentativeness of the line before.

Fucking Dylan. Magic stuff.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: grassbath on April 27, 2019, 03:49:43 PM

On a related note, this version of 'Tangled Up in Blue' knocks the BotR take for six. There are two magic chords that are much more prominent here which give a real sense of danger, sadness and drama to the thing. And the way he sings 'working for a while in an airplane plant, loadin' cargo onto a truuuuuck' - like he knows that's a bit of a duff line, forecasting to the room that he's going to change that one, which of course eventually he did. But then - 'but all the while, he was alone, the past was close behind' - and those are even better, burn even brighter and hit even harder for the tentativeness of the line before.

Fucking Dylan. Magic stuff.

big thanks for this.

Fisher Goes Berserk

Asking only workman's wages I come looking for a job, but I get no offers
Just to come home from the war zone, Seventh Avenue

Egyptian Feast

I've just got the reissue of Stereolab's Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements and been disappointed to find that Laetitia is not singing "Oh, do pigs eat ham?" on Analogue Rock. It's "All good things to come", apparently.

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 14, 2016, 08:39:53 AM
I thought the Lenin/Lennon homophone was deliberate, given the previous line "Now the workers have struck for fame"...?

Wouldn't this be around the time Lennon released Power To The People? I think it is an awesome line either way because it's about how all actions are being turned into pop culture, even strikes.

Twed

Are my lemons tied? Is my hair in place?
Have I got a cute expression on my face?

Twed

Someday somebody's gonna make you wanna turn around and say goodbye
'til then, Teddy Bear, are you going to let them hold you down and make you cry?

I always liked that genre of music where women are saying the overly tender things towards their partner instead of men (I JUST WANT TO BE HELD), so I liked this way a lot. The original is good too, though.

phantom_power

Quote from: Twed on May 07, 2019, 08:28:25 PM
Are my lemons tied? Is my hair in place?
Have I got a cute expression on my face?

Those are the lyrics aren't they?

PaulTMA

Pet Shop Boys 'I Get Along' until recently I believed he sang "stuck here with The Shamen taking my share of the blame" which I definitely prefer to "the shame and"

Twed

Sin Agog

Sopranos theme.  Always heard it as 'got a muumuu in your eyes,' which would be distracting when you're trying to concentrate on important mafioso business.  Real lyric's supposedly 'blue moon in your eyes' and it makes much less sense than the muumuu thing.

daf

Not amazing or anything, but I've only just realised about five minutes ago (while watching this video) that Abba aren't actually singing :

"Waterloo, . . How does it feel that you won the war?"
in 'Waterloo', like what I always thought, but . . .
"Waterloo, . . I was defeated, you won the war"

smudge1971

mojo filters

That Keane song (I only know the one) I thought went:

Oh sympathy, where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on

Turns out it's "simple thing" rather than "sympathy."

The notion that a "simple thing" would be reliable in that context seems tenuous. "Sympathy" sounds more generically useful in such circumstances.

Glyn

Not technically mine but my daughter has always belted out the line in Let it Go as 'The pasta's in my pants' .

popcorn

Listening to Discovery by Daft Punk for the first time in ages. Last verse of Something About Us:

I need you more than anything in my life
I want you more than anything in my life
I'll miss you more than anyone in my life
I love you more than anyone in my life

In my memory the last two lines were swapped, so "I'll miss you" was the last line. This, to my mind, would far sadder. It tells a story: a simple and honest declaration of love, followed by the revelation that they're separating.

What a shame, it could have been a hit album.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

From We Didn't Start The Fire
QuoteStarkweather, homicide, children of thalidomide

Until looking up the lyrics now I though it was "Stop with the homicide". Until further back I thought "Stop with the homicide" was a desperate plea to the children of thalidomide, as if they were so insecure and angry about their gammy hands that it drove them to kill. And until even further back I thought it was "Stop with the homicide, children of the little mind" cause it sounded like a genuinely good anti-war protest lyric.

non capisco

The bit in that top 10 hit single when Billy Joel thunders "CHILDREN OF THALIDOMIDE!" is something I find genuinely hilarious. Also after he's listed all these seismic historical and cultural bookmarks he goes "ROCK 'N' ROLLER COLA WARS, I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!!!". What a lame thing to finally tip you over the edge.

I initially misheard TROUBLE IN THE SUEZ!!! as TROUBLE IN THE SEWERS!!! and assumed it was a reference to the then popular Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles. Billy Joel used to be mint in the 70s, honest.

Twed

Quote from: non capisco on July 25, 2019, 11:13:52 PM
The bit in that top 10 hit single when Billy Joel thunders "CHILDREN OF THALIDOMIDE!" is something I find genuinely hilarious.
I misheard this as "Children of the Little Mind" and thought it was some kind of cult.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Twed on July 25, 2019, 11:47:41 PM
I misheard this as "Children of the Little Mind" and thought it was some kind of cult.

Is there a shitting echo in here?