Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs where you misheard the lyrics and like your version better

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, April 10, 2015, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Just because your post is above mine doesn't mean it came first.

A bit of Googling shows this is a surprisingly common mishearing.

Chinese Happy People Holding Hands
Put em in a pan
Can of Beans
Can of Beanz

TheMonk

Heard You Should Be Dancing by the Bee Gees yesterday.
That bit that goes...
"My woman gives me pow-er
From my rectum to my blood"

timebug

An oldie but a goodie, my mate Chas who was the works joker, seriously would not have it, that Jimi Hendrix, on 'Purple Haze'
actually sang ''scuse me while I kiss this guy'! Mind you, he also thought CCR sang 'There's a bad moon on the right'!

Puce Moment

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 'Deanna'

The real lyrics:

"No carpet on the floor
And the winding-cloth holds many moths
Around your Ku Klux furniture
I cum a deaths-head in your frock"

From 1988 until about 2004 I thought it was the following:

"No carpet on the floor
And the winding-cloth holds many moths
Around your Ku Klux furniture
I cum whilst dancing in your frock"

I mean, Cave's lyric is undeniably better from an objective viewpoint - poetic and uncanny. But I always loved the visual of my mis-heard lyric for its comedy value. I was actually quite crestfallen when I finally read the real lyrics.

TheMonk

I heard one on the radio today.
Boys Of Summer by Don Henley.
"Out on the road today
I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac
A little voice inside my head said:
"Don't look back, you can never look back"

When I was young I was sure he was singing about a 'dead head sticking on a cadillac.'
A truly frightening image. The next line making perfect sense.
I was really disappointed later in life to learn he was referring to a Grateful Dead f#cking bumper sticker.

flotemysost

Heard Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe in a shop the other day, and as always, heard:

I beg and borrow and steal
I thought Satan was real

But disappointingly it's actually

I beg and borrow and steal
At first sight and it's real

Also, the childish part of me can't help hearing the opening line of King Kunta by Kendrick Lamar as I got a boner pic even though it's obviously I got a bone to pick.

gib

The Selecter - Three Minute Hero

It's too early in the morning
Stupid job
I wanna get, my dick straight
The same as yestereday

popcorn

Walker Bros, Nite Flights. It's "be my love, we will be gods on night flights", not "we will be cunts". Always liked the idea of Scott Walker inviting me to be a right fucking bastard to airline staff.

kalowski

The Culture Bunker

A common one, I would think, but whenever I hear 'How Deep is Your Love?', I still hear that one line as "...and you come to me on a submarine", just because I like the idea of the Gibbs lads' muse rolling up to harbour in their U-Boat.

Absorb the anus burn

Adamski and Seal's Killer:

"Sorry Timmy's brother, is there still a part of you that wants to live?
Sorry Timmy's sister, is there still a part of you that wants to give?"

pigamus

Quote from: Misspent Boners on July 26, 2019, 03:11:30 AM
Chinese Happy People Holding Hands
Put em in a pan
Can of Beans
Can of Beanz

Can't be bothered to check whether I've already posted it, but...

"This one goes out to the one I love... Hiya!"

I still refuse to believe that's not what he's actually singing. At least my version makes sense.

phantom_power

I really want to play cricket with you, you be my American boy

kalowski

Quote from: pigamus on September 18, 2019, 10:13:43 AM

I still refuse to believe that's not what he's actually singing. At least my version makes sense.
Yes, I agree, but it's Hi-ya! Karate style.

I don't think these are better but I'mma gonna posta anywaya:

(Both from All apologies)

When I realised the lyrics I'd been relating to weren't - All unknown is all we are - but in fact - All in all is all we are - I felt like a bit of a self-pitying tit.

Also I thought it was - I'll proceed from shame - rather than - Aqua seafoam shame.

Nobody Soup

I've just found out, after years, that Cher is singing

"do you believe in life after love, after love, after love."

and not

"do you believe in love after love, after love, after love."

which is a small but distinct difference which would have actually made the song better by a lot. As it is, it's nothing more than pun on "life after death". It's very dated, asking if someone thinks they can even have a life after they've broken up with a lover clings to idea of one true love, it sounds like an idea that's come from the 50s.  Also, the echo serves no purpose, it's just an echo effect to fill out the melody.

NOW

"do you believe in love after love, after love, after love." first of all, instead of worrying about just getting on with things, this properly asks could you love again. the refrain being repeated, instead of just sounding like an echo effect, actually turn it into an extended question, suggesting many relationships following afterwards. It turns it into a much more modern song, that acknowledges people will love many times in their lives, it doesn't worry about moving on, because of course you will, we can all do it.

The original is basically being sung to Cher's miserable, and fellow singleton, mate, whereas the former would be sung to  a new boyfriend she was on the cusp of falling for, which would also suit the upbeat tone of the song.

NJ Uncut

Radiohead have millions but the one that I cling to most is...

Polyethylene :
Mine: She used to be beautiful once as well
Real: She used to be beautiful lumps and swell

Twed

NJ Uncut

Jockice

I always thought it was 'why aye.' I wondered why the video didn't feature the band all wearing short-sleeved Newcastle United tops with a packet of tabs up one of them.

a duncandisorderly

actual:
"Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin' how funky and strong is your fight
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right"

what I hear:
"show them hot fucking & stay for the night
it doesn't matter who's wearing tights"

Twed

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Nobody Soup on September 20, 2019, 03:48:58 AM
I've just found out, after years, that Cher is singing

"do you believe in life after love, after love, after love."

and not

"do you believe in love after love, after love, after love."

which is a small but distinct difference which would have actually made the song better by a lot. As it is, it's nothing more than pun on "life after death". It's very dated, asking if someone thinks they can even have a life after they've broken up with a lover clings to idea of one true love, it sounds like an idea that's come from the 50s.  Also, the echo serves no purpose, it's just an echo effect to fill out the melody.

NOW

"do you believe in love after love, after love, after love." first of all, instead of worrying about just getting on with things, this properly asks could you love again. the refrain being repeated, instead of just sounding like an echo effect, actually turn it into an extended question, suggesting many relationships following afterwards. It turns it into a much more modern song, that acknowledges people will love many times in their lives, it doesn't worry about moving on, because of course you will, we can all do it.

The original is basically being sung to Cher's miserable, and fellow singleton, mate, whereas the former would be sung to  a new boyfriend she was on the cusp of falling for, which would also suit the upbeat tone of the song.

Ray Travez

I think everyone has their own version of this. Mine goes-

This one goes out to the one I love.........

VOYEUR!

Twed

Trying hard to control my fart
I walk over to where you are
Eye to eye we need no words at all
Slowly now we begin to move
Every breath I'm deeper into you

NJ Uncut

Inspector Norse

Thanks to 'Down in the Tube Station at Midnight', I thought for a long time that Queen Elizabeth II was nicknamed "Big Eileen".

Jockice

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 09, 2019, 07:05:43 PM
Thanks to 'Down in the Tube Station at Midnight', I thought for a long time that Queen Elizabeth II was nicknamed "Big Eileen".

i used to think that the line near the end was 'the wine will be flat and the cabbage gone cold.'