Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs where you misheard the lyrics and like your version better

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, April 10, 2015, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

In Santigold's execllent Don't Blame Me:

QuoteDoh blame me a nuh my fault
Mek da bumpa yah look good inna mi tight shorts
Doh blame a nuh my fault
Mek yuh boyfriend si mi n a get wild thoughts
Doh blame me, mi seh doh blame me my girl
Easy like doh, ray, me, mi nuh kno weh yuh feel my girl
Yuh cheesy like

Definitely thought that was 'wide parts'. Semantically, not all that different really.

Phil_A

Regardless of what the official lyrics are, I will persist in my belief that Andrew Eldritch solemnly declares that there is "No time for ice-cream!" in the chorus of Sisters Of Mercy's No Time To Cry.

Icehaven

In Morrissey's 'Every Day Is Like Sunday' I was disappointed when I realised it wasn't "Hide on the Promenade, ate your postcard.''

Jockice

Not really a mishearing but a misunderstanding but as a teenager when I first heard Sham 69's No Entry (a song about them being banned from America) I thought the line: "So what did you do to make them do this to you? I dunno boss, have a little puff on the grass?" was about a homosexual liaison rather than taking drugs.

They were simpler times in the late 70s. For me at least.

Ray Travez

Top Cat theme-

"He's the boss, he's a pimp, he's the championship"

machotrouts

Just looked up the lyrics of 'Sugar' by System of a Down, and genuinely shocked and appalled to discover that he does not play Russian roulette with "a bullet called Clive".

jobotic

After the thousandth time listening to Wasn't Born To Follow by The Byrds I've realised that she may argue with her logic, not her lodger.

JesusAndYourBush

In Jacko's "Billie Jean", until just now (listening to Amanda Palmer's nicely enunciated version) I realised I'd always heard "so take my strong advice" as "such a maestro device".

Egyptian Feast

I've just discovered I've been mishearing the chorus of The Human League's 'Blind Youth' for years. I've had "Blind youth take hope, you're no Joe Soap, your time is due, make fun, consume" in my head all weekend and just found out it ends with "Big Fun come soon", which is prescient I suppose (if you count a decade as 'soon'), but I prefer the wrong version.

However, I have always been hearing the lyrics in the verse about dehumanisation correctly, lol.

Spiteface

There's an Oasis B-side called "(I Got) The Fever" - a lyric in it goes:

"Swear I heard a song on the radio
My heart is laughing back at me"

For years I thought Liam was singing "My heart is like a buggered knee"

Which is funnier, and better.

EDIT: got another one.

In the Manic Street Preachers song "All is Vanity" the chorus goes:

It's not what's wrong, it's what's right,
It's the facts of life, sunshine"

Before I read the lyrics, I thought James was singing "It's a fucked-up life, sunshine" which given it's a Richey Edwards lyric (song is from Journal for Plague Lovers), could go either way on that...

famethrowa

Taco, Puttin on the Ritz:

Dressed up like a million dollar trooper
Trying not to look like Alice Cooper
Super Trooper

made perfect sense to me.

Mantle Retractor

"Turn It On Again" by Genesis.

The closing refrain of 'I can see another face' I have misheard as 'I can see your leatherface'

Sin Agog

The Stooges/Shake Appeal.  Always thought Ig was saying "Shaaaaaaag a Beatle."  It sounds more like a scuzzed up early Beat song than anything else they did.  I still think he does say that.  I wonder which one he was partial to.  Ringo's face would be more likely to hit the male g-spot as you're delicately perched above him.

NurseNugent

From Rose Tint My World on the Rocky Horror Sound track.

Actual Lyrics. I am just seven hours old and somebody should be told my libido hasn't been controlled.

Misheard - I am just seven hours old and somebody should be told why the beagle hasn't been controlled.

I thought Rocky, who was created in a lab was comparing himself to lab beagles. 

ProvanFan

Climbing, forever trying
Find your way out... of the wah wah woo-ooh

Natnar

I thought for ages that Madonna was singing "All your suits are custom made and laundered" on Dress You Up.

Ray Travez

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a douche,
another runner in the night

(Awful song)

popcorn

This song from the 80s Transformers movie (timestamped)

IT'S BURNIN
IT'S BURNIN
IT'S BURNIN ME
YEAH
I GOT A FUNNY FAAAAACE

I challenge you to figure out what the real lyric is without looking it up.

markburgle

Quote from: Spiteface on September 22, 2020, 03:01:36 PM
In the Manic Street Preachers song "All is Vanity" the chorus goes:

It's not what's wrong, it's what's right,
It's the facts of life, sunshine"

Before I read the lyrics, I thought James was singing "It's a fucked-up life, sunshine" which given it's a Richey Edwards lyric (song is from Journal for Plague Lovers), could go either way on that...

Absolute banger that - I thought the same, and I suspect JDB of playing that up a bit, purposefully slurring it so that it sounds like that. Although in this case the written line is better.

Calvin Harris - Feels. I thought Katy Perry was saying "Baby I know you ain't afraid to bump fists" instead of "Baby I know you ain't afraid to pop pills". Mine is way better in the context of a song about not being scared to go the next step with someone. Perry - if you're reading this, you can have that for free.

The Ramones - Planet Earth 1988. I heard "The jails are filled to the max/Discrimination against the blacks" as "The jails are filled to the max/To screen the nation against the blacks" which would've been much edgier and on-point IMNSHO.

Blue Jam

QuoteDon't tell my heart
My achey breakey heart
I just don't think he'd understand
'cause if you tell my heart
My achey breakey heart
He'd just go up and kill his mam

Those probably aren't the actual lyrics but I don't care. I like the idea of Billy Ray Cyrus's achey breakey heart bursting out of his chest and overreacting to a parent confiscating his Sega Megadrive.

Blue Jam

Have we had Harvey Danger's Flagpole Sitta yet?

QuoteParanoia, paranoia
Everybody's coming to get me
Just say you never met me
I'm running underground with some more stupid whores

Moles, my apologies.

phantom_power

I can't help but hear Sweet Creature by Harry Styles as Sea Creature and think it an ode to a dugong or something

flotemysost

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 08, 2019, 07:25:39 PM
In Santigold's execllent Don't Blame Me:

Definitely thought that was 'wide parts'. Semantically, not all that different really.

This has reminded me that when I first heard Wild Thoughts by DJ Khaled (on the radio - didn't catch the name of the song at the time), I thought Rihanna was singing

When I'm with you, all I get is whacked off

which sounds like she was either getting some sort of unsatisfactory manual stimulation, or getting killed by the mob.

buntyman

The song '(Motherfuckers act like they) Forgot about Dre' opens with the titular character spitting the following: "Y'all know me, still the same OG".
For years, previously unfamiliar with the now much more ubiquitous abbreviation 'OG', I'd been singing 'same old G' with the same confidence I'd have singing the 'same old Arsenal' song.

I like my version better as it paints Dre in a humbler light, acknowledging his advancing years rather than reasserting his original gangster status. Admittedly my version isn't really in keeping with the overarching theme of the song.

Jackson K Pollock

There's a Was (Not Was) album track called Anytime Lisa with the lyric:

I want more than just a piece of
Anytime Lisa

Which I always heard as:

I want more than just a pizza,
Anytime Lisa

I may have been an innocent little kid, but I still like my version better.

JesusAndYourBush

I've just discovered the line in Wouldn't It Be Loverly (from My Fair Lady) is "With one enormous chair" and not as I always thought it was : "With one enormous pair".  I was always amused by it, but never stopped to think I'd misheard it!

Blue Jam

David Bowie's 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore:

https://youtu.be/-zF2tsBJnpk

Thanks to Adam and Joe I always sing along with "'Tis a Pity She Wuzza Wuz":

https://youtu.be/aSz0REvTBFQ?t=49

Evil Nine- Restless:

https://youtu.be/YXgNy1lbxB4?t=188

I don't think that guy in the background is singing "John Cleese!" but I can't think what else it could be.

Jonathan Richman's "We need more pies[nb]parties[/nb] in the USA".

EOLAN

Quote from: Sherman Krank on January 30, 2018, 10:10:47 PM
As a smallish child I occasionally heard the Neil Diamond song 'Forever in Blues Jeans' and thought he was singing 'Reverend Blues Jeans'.
For years I thought it was a song about a trendy vicar.

Had to check before posting but this pretty much word by word sums my number one and favourite mishearing of lyrics.

Also; probably well into my 20s before I realised the Band Aid song finished on "Feed the World" rather the "We Know, Woh - Oh, Let them Know It's Christmas Time."

I thought it was a mix of allowing the suffering people in Ethiopia know that it's Christmas by being happy and able to celebrate; but also combined with some old fashioned Christian missions to convert them. Although it still could be with actual lyrics.